yes ok i will take it do you want me to paypal you

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
yes ok i will take it do you want me to paypal you

Pm me with your address and Ill work out a total cost inc postal compensation.

gap30

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
technomate 90cm dish
My Location
Liverpool
Hi have recieved my new Zinwell lnb thanks to CH

Just a bit unsure as it has no markings on the back to adjust the skew

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Pleased to hear you have received it, something to do on Christmas Day then ;)

You were looking for circular feed/channel frequencies, in which case skew on the dish is almost unimportant, but the dielectric plate position is the main criteria, which should be 45 degrees from each probe.

One will give LHCP, the other RHCP depending on the voltage from the receiver.

nelson_b

Contributor
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Strong 4375 driving a 2.4 m Channel Master dual focus offset + Invcom Quad C120 K/U l.n.b. + BSC 421 and Zinwell C band l.n.b.,s - DR HD F15 - TM5302 - Octagon SX88+Optima - GT Media V7 - HD receivers. + other dishes currently in use - Antique 3.0 m Prodelin P.F. - Channel Master 1.8 m offset - Channel Master. 1.2 m.
My Location
North West Yorkshire - near Lancashire & Cumbria borders.

Hi -
The Zinwell in the pic below is set at its best position on my dish for Linear (HxV) signals ...
good luck this time round :)
regards .....
ps - yes -as CH said skew makes little or no difference on Circular . so that position should be ok for you ....

Attachments

• zinwell 1.jpg
    zinwell 1.jpg
    226.9 KB · Views: 20

gap30

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
technomate 90cm dish
My Location
Liverpool
Correct me if i am wrong

I am looking for 40.5w which is listed at 3980 L

So I install the plate, is this correct?

Also John and others told me the '0' on the back of the lnb had to be square at my zero position

I can us the picture above as a guide

I was scanning previously using the existing lnb with the plate inserted, this was correct or not?

nelson_b

Contributor
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Strong 4375 driving a 2.4 m Channel Master dual focus offset + Invcom Quad C120 K/U l.n.b. + BSC 421 and Zinwell C band l.n.b.,s - DR HD F15 - TM5302 - Octagon SX88+Optima - GT Media V7 - HD receivers. + other dishes currently in use - Antique 3.0 m Prodelin P.F. - Channel Master 1.8 m offset - Channel Master. 1.2 m.
My Location
North West Yorkshire - near Lancashire & Cumbria borders.
Correct me if i am wrong

I am looking for 40.5w which is listed at 3980 L

So I install the plate, is this correct?

Also John and others told me the '0' on the back of the lnb had to be square at my zero position

I can us the picture above as a guide

I was scanning previously using the existing lnb with the plate inserted, this was correct or not?

Hi -
Yes - plate needed for 40.5 west ... as all transponders are circular

yes you could use the pic as a guide ... although as stated skew will make little if any difference if using a standard plate ...

you can see on my pic that i.m using a large non standard plate for the circular l.n.b (on the left) and i do get a tiny fraction more signal with "that" plate sitting vertical .. but it really is only a fraction

i would still advise setting up / fine tuning at 20 east for a start ... i,m afraid that chances of receiving the transponder you mention above at 40.5 west - is slim at best, with anything less than a well tuned 1.8 metre dish though :(

ps - edit .. plate needed for 20 east too

Last edited:

gap30

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
technomate 90cm dish
My Location
Liverpool
ok got it thanks

Just ordered a freesat v8 sat meter as well

moonbase

Small Dish Man
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Correct me if i am wrong I am looking for 40.5w which is listed at 3980 L..

gap30,

The plate is required for all C Band signals from 40,5 West. However, you will not be able to receive the ESPN PowerVu signal on 3980 L with a 1.5m dish in a UK location. The dish is too small to gather enough signal for a lock on this particular transponder.

Rgds

moonbase

Small Dish Man
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK

gap30,

The F connector output on the Zinwell LNB is 45 degrees to the left of the 0 degrees postition if you are standing behind the LNB and pointing the open throat of the LNB at the dish.

In other words, to orientate the Zinwell LNB with the 0 degrees position at 12 o'clock, the F connector output needs to be at 10:30 when standing at the back of the LNB and with you looking towards the dish face.

Rgds

gap30

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
technomate 90cm dish
My Location
Liverpool
gap30,

The plate is required for all C Band signals from 40,5 West. However, you will not be able to receive the ESPN PowerVu signal on 3980 L with a 1.5m dish in a UK location. The dish is too small to gather enough signal for a lock on this particular transponder.

Rgds

I will play with this for the time being and plan my next dish then

moonbase

Small Dish Man
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
I will play with this for the time being and plan my next dish then

You will need to plan for a 2.0m or larger dish if you wish to receive the 3980 L signal from 40.5W from a UK location. It is possible to get this transponder with a finely tuned 1.8m dish but it might be intermittent reception and the signal would be lost in bad weather.

gap30

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
technomate 90cm dish
My Location
Liverpool
ok understood

Wanted: House with large garden without any obstructions or neighbours

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.

TJExcalibur

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Master Focus 90cm .Gigablue UHD Quad 4K on TM 2600 motor. *Tm 5402 HD M3, *Atemio Nemesis. *Not Used.
My Location
Southern England

Attachments

• local-shop-on-set-of-the-league-of-gentlemen-bbc-tv-series-at-marsden-A19DWP.jpg
    local-shop-on-set-of-the-league-of-gentlemen-bbc-tv-series-at-marsden-A19DWP.jpg
    242.5 KB · Views: 24

moonbase

Small Dish Man
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
gap30,

Did you get anywhere with your setup for C band from 40.5W?

I have attached a table that lists my most recent tests from 40.5W in C Band.
The tests were done using a Zinwell LNB and a Titanium LNB with dielectric plate and the Zinwell LNB fitted to a polariser barrel.
I have yet to test the Titanium LNB with the polariser barrel.
All tests were done with a 1.5m prime focus dish.

Just a thought, the cheapest way to get a large dish for C band is to get a "tin dish". There are a few "Tin Dish Men" on the forum and they all report quite good results for C band with a 2.4m "tin dish". I have pasted a link to one of the forum topics below. The "tin dish" is the low cost Fortec Star 2.4m petal dish. I think it comes in 6 sections and is very cheap considering what it can capture on C band.

The C-band Tin-Dish challenge

Rgds

Attachments

• 40.5W (Transponders - 2017-12-28).jpg
    40.5W (Transponders - 2017-12-28).jpg
    367.8 KB · Views: 9

gap30

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
technomate 90cm dish
My Location
Liverpool
Hi thanks for that to be honest I have not looked at the dish since I last tried C band

Gonna have another go with the Zinwell in the next few days

Got my V8 freesat meter and set up my old 1.2 CM for my father in law yesterday, nice little piece of kit which should make life easier setting up the Zinwell

One thing I have noticed with the new dish is the wind affects it so much more than the CM - it bounces around a fair bit when there is a bit of wind, what I have gained have equally lost a little

I am guessing this is because the Gibby sits off the pole a bit further (and obviously is bigger), its almost as if you have two mounts

The CM polar mount is compact whereas the the Gibby polar mount attaches to the original mount

gap30

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
technomate 90cm dish
My Location
Liverpool
Put the new Zinwell LNB on the dish today and set the skew so the F connector was at roughly 7 o'clock

Connected up the new V8 sat finder and had a play for 20 minutes till the heavens opened

No joy not a sniff looking for 20e 3975 L 27500 as advised earlier in this thread

Just want to double check my settings are correct:

What would you do now if you was in my position?

Obviously now I am thinking I am going to have to get on the roof and play with the skew, focal point moving the LNB forwards/backwards?

Bear with me, there is no thing as stupid question I hope

I have not tinkered with the elevation too much at this point

I am now thinking long term if both C band LNB's are fine I will go back to the original configuration I had and put the LNB's side on @ both sides of the KU

Bloody rain lol

John

Enthusiast.
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Elite 2.2 PF - CM1.8 - CM1.2 - Gibertini 1.25.
Ku - Ka -C & Ext C.
PC cards-TM5402 receivers.
Promax FSM.
My Location
North Nottinghamshire.
Done a couple of scans for you on 40.5° West & 20° East looking at LHC signals only before i have to lower the rig down due to wind speeds getting higher. Rain and brisk winds at the time of scans so signals a bit up and down. Dish is a 2.2mtr Elite PF, Norsat 8000RI, AV-Comm Poloriser barrel. Readings done on a Promax HD Ranger+. Poor weather conditions with rain and blustery winds.
I personally don't think you will have much luck with the 40.5° W signal, it needs about 7.9dB for a lock. The strongest signal, for me anyway, on 40.5° W is 4.183 LHC at around 13.8dB ... that also needs about 7.9dB for a lock.
20° East looks to be your best bet to establish a reading on your sat meter, see pic, 3.975 LHC the strongest with me at around 12.2 or so dB in poor conditions. It still requires around 7.9dB for a lock on a decent receiver. Try again on 20° E when the weather is more suitable.
See both analyser grabs to help you along a bit. *Note: - ignore the false "1 W" indication on the 20° analyser readout.
....................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

20° East ... LHC - 2.2mtr Elite PF. North Notts. 2nd Jan 2018. .. reduced...jpg40.5° West - scan - Rain & high winds. 2nd Jan 2018... North Notts. ... reduced...jpg

John

Enthusiast.
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Elite 2.2 PF - CM1.8 - CM1.2 - Gibertini 1.25.
Ku - Ka -C & Ext C.
PC cards-TM5402 receivers.
Promax FSM.
My Location
North Nottinghamshire.
Done a couple of scans for you on 40.5° West & 20° East looking at LHC signals only before i have to lower the rig down due to wind speeds getting higher. Rain and brisk winds at the time of scans so signals a bit up and down. Dish is a 2.2mtr Elite PF, Norsat 8000RI, AV-Comm Poloriser barrel. Readings done on a Promax HD Ranger+. Poor weather conditions with rain and blustery winds.
I personally don't think you will have much luck with the 40.5° W signal, it needs about 7.9dB for a lock. The strongest signal, for me anyway, on 40.5° W is 4.183 LHC at around 13.8dB ... that also needs about 7.9dB for a lock.
20° East looks to be your best bet to establish a reading on your sat meter, see pic, 3.975 LHC the strongest with me at around 12.2 or so dB in poor conditions. It still requires around 7.9dB for a lock on a decent receiver. Try again on 20° E when the weather is more suitable.
See both analyser grabs to help you along a bit. *Note: - ignore the false "1 W" indication on the 20° analyser readout.
....................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

View attachment 113470View attachment 113471

This is the lnb set-up, dish now lowered and chained down .... winds getting stronger.
....................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

Cband rig .... reduced.jpg