Advice needed to run digibox and Manhattan 6800 receivers with a single LNB

O

Oxfordman

Could you please help? I currently use an old analogue receiver (Echostar LT-8700) to drive a 1 metre motorised dish (36V 5A actuator) the LNB of which is connected to a sky digibox! It works fine and I can access digital channels from all the satellites I am interested in as well as the channels of my sky package. Of course only 50 channels, from no more than 7 transponders, can be stored as “other channels” at anyone time and this is clearly not ideal. I am thinking of getting a Manhattan Starlight 6800 and connect to it the actuator motor and sensor terminals currently on the Echostar. Will this enable me to drive the dish in the same accurate, trouble-free and very reliable way as now? Assuming that this can work, I am planning to connect the LNB to the Manhattan and use its loop through facility to link it with the Sky digibox. Can this work?
The choice of Manhattan was based solely on my assumption that this is perhaps the only one that can drive my dish and that effectively I have no other choice. What do people think of this receiver?
Many thanks

Robbie34

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Yes, that will work perfectly well. However, I have reservations about your choice of Manhattan, which has been the subject of adverse criticism on a number of forums.

I use my old LT-8700 to drive my dish, and I have recently changed my Humax F1-VACI to a Sonysat - now called Nextwave -which has an embedded UCAS module. By using a Fun card with 6in1 files I'm able to get plenty of channels, with English soundtracks, from the various satellites.

I also have a Sky digibox which I use in France and only connect to update the card before I leave. I use a lnb switch for this.

O

Oxfordman

Thanks Robbie34 for your response. I am mainly interested on FTA channels for now, as I know very little about Fun cards 6 in 1files etc.

Is the concern about the Manhattan receivers related to their reliability, accurate positioning of the dish, ease of use and picture quality or is it for their operation when used with subscription/fun cards to access scrambled channels? I’ve done a search but I am still not clear.

As I haven’t found yet another receiver able to drive my dish, my dilemma is whether to get the Manhattan 6800 or opt for another receiver and keep the Echostar for driving the dish.

Robbie34

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
The main concerns with the Manhattan relate to reliability and ease of use. I understand that one of the well known dealers is replacing one of the models that he has sold with a Technomate box and a Magic Module.

Personally, I'd keep your Echostar. I looked for a receiver with a 36v positioner and a UCAS embedded module but couldn't find one - apart from the Manhattan. I ended up with the Sonysat and I'm very satisfied with it. It is a bit tiresome having that extra remote to move the dish, but at least it's reliable and easy to programme in new satellites.

I'd give serious consideration to a box with an embedded UCAS or one with a couple of CI slots that will take a Magic Module. There is so much out there, and it's easy enough to programme a Fun card.