Advice on 30E-30W actuator arm

Nickolai

Reaction score
My Location
Berkshire
Hi, all

could you please advice on the size of the actuator arm, suitable for moving the dish in the 30e to 30w range?

I am also looking for advice on a quality make. Everyone seems to stock and supply Jaeger SuperJacks starting from £25. I had one of these and was not dramatically impressed (noisy both mechanically and electronically - poor reed pulses).

Is there a justification to spend more and buy, perhaps, a higher quality product? Who makes a better quality one? Are Echostar actuators any good (sounds attractive, as I have the Echo receiver...) Those start from £50.

For reference, I have an 88cm Triax dish with corresponding Triax polar mount.

Any advice would be highly appreciated :)

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Hi Nikolai

30 West eh ?

Can you providepictures of the dish

I can probably advise whats best if I can se it

Nickolai

Reaction score
My Location
Berkshire
Hi, CH

Thanks for your reply. By now I have calculated that I require about 7 inch travel and therefore decided to buy a 10 inch motor.

"Echostar" positioner proved to be made by Jaeger. Is there anything else at all?
In the US and Australia they have really fancy stuff ("van Weisel", "Meridian"), sounds almost like hi-fi components. But these are very lo-o-ong (start from 18 inch) and expensive: £150+.

Anyway, I attach a picture of a setup very similar to mine, borrowed without permission (sorry) from an
online SatelliteSuperstore

Best wishes

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Thats a Triax dish (very good once the reflector is straightened when installing) but a nasty looking polarmount made of soft metal which would need constant attention when moving the dish to the extreme limits.

The distance of the actuator from the polar bearings is important, the further away the less force is applied to all moving parts (but the actuator arm has to be longer for the same travel)

I doubt there is a 10" actuator made with a 1 inch shaft, as shown in the picture. I would look at getting something slightly more substantial, especially if the dish is on the roof or you live in a windy town

Old Satellite

Retired Mod
Reaction score
I agree with channel hopper the mount may be the reason of some of you problems,

The Jaeger super jacks while not be perfect do normally provide a few years of good service.

Why not update to a H-H they are if installed correctly they are generally much quietier and more reliable ?

SG609 should work well

regards

Old Satellite

Nickolai

Reaction score
My Location
Berkshire
Many thanks for your advice guys, I agree the mount is quite ({})

Best wishes