Advice on a system for a rookie

alv

Reaction score
Any advice would be much appreciated, as I'm new to the satellite "game".

I've been looking on ebay for some cheap gear so I can set myself up with a motorised system. As a total rookie I haven't got a clue what to look for; what products would be recommended? A Nokia 9600 receiver went for £95 which seemed cheap, Humax 5400's sell well generally making about £240, I'm thinking of bidding on an Echostar 808.

I'm going to restrict the size of dish to 90cm to start with to keep 'er indoors happy. Will this seriously restrict my viewing?

Any recommendations on other bits of kit I will need would be appreciated (programmer and LMB particularly).

Cheers

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
A really cheap way of setting up is to use a satellite PC card, although it may not be suitable in your case, these are only £50 or thereabouts and you do not require a CAM, cards, or programmers.

The Humax 5400 is an excellent receiver, but you will pay top money for them, as they are very popular, because of their integrated multicam (when flashed).

Can't comment on the Nokia 9600, but the Echostar 808 is a good receiver, you have to make sure that it is not the free to air version.

The Samsung 9500 vaci is also popular as some can be flashed to a multicam.

The newest CAM in the market place is the Matrix Reloaded, this will work in the majority of receivers which have a CI slot and can work without a card on some encryptions.

DiseqC motors can be bought for less than £100, the Moteck SG-2100 is a superb choice and easy to install.

LNB, go for an Invacom, or perhaps the MTI blue.

gerryl

Reaction score
Techomate 1500CI ...approx £110.00..(got 1 x cam slot and 1 card slot) best of both worlds...and plenty of patches on the net...

all in motor package including;_ Techomate 1500CI, motor, 80cm Dish and 0.3 lnb approx £220.00

stay clear of ebay with this kit !

hope this helps

:cool:

ps @rolfw ...ye may need ta do a 'on site survey' on AZores islands...!

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Sorry gerryl, had to split the Azores post and send it to the correct section, so your comment to me will be out of context. :)

PS, this is a very old thread. ;)