Advice on adding a motor

jlpa

Impossible is nothing
Reaction score
Hi, I currently have a 80 cm dish with a dual lnb for astra and hotbird. My receiver is a humax f1-vaci. I would like to know, if I added a motor to my dish, would it be compliant with the receiver aformentioned, and if so, how much would it cost? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

chrislloret

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
Beautiful Catalunya,Spain
Yes,you can use a motor, no extra cable requiered and it should cost around 70 pounds plus installation, if you can not do it yourself. You will need a diseq motor and off you go. The 2nd lnb and your existing diseq switch will go out and can be kept for emergencies. You will not be looking back, a motor is a wonderfull thing. Good luck.
sunny greetings
C

Marts

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
90 cm dish + two LNB 13/19 E
90 cm dish + one LNB 30 W
Humax 5400 .. Oh and cable for Mrs Marts (smilie here)
My Location
Gozo - Malta
Make sure it's a heavy duty motor - though I doubt they make anything else these days :)

Rob

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate TMS-1500 CI+ "patched" receiver, 90cm p/f 36v motorised dish, Inverto C120 0.3db LNB, Moteck V-Box 2, Packard Bell 6052 XP Home computer, Toshiba A60 laptop, and lots of Russian Vodka !
My Location
Essex
Just one thing jlpa I found that the Humax F1-Vac was not the best of receivers with a motor.
I had the same receiver first with a fixed dish and it was no problem, but when I put a motor on, the receiver had a habit of sometimes going past the satellite I wanted.
Not a big fault, try it and see what happens.

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
DreamBox 7000s - Nokia Freeview - Several GameBoys - DS Lite - ZX81 - SNES - N64 - Saturn - Dreamcast - PlayStation - PS2 - Gamecube - PSP - iPod - iPhone - XBox - PS3 - Wii - iPad - No Life!
My Location
Scotland
Do a search on ebay for sg-2100 and you will find brand new ones for £36 plus P&P from Germany users.

Jaeger DisEqC 1.2

jlpa

Impossible is nothing
Reaction score
Thanks guys for the advice. Interesting what you say Rob about the humax f1 vaci. I have been thinking of changing my receiver for a while now, so maybe now would be a good time to do it . I saw this deal on www.spectrum-skytv.co.uk:
The ultimate system including: Technomate TM5500CI Super digital receiver, 88cm Triax dish, Diseqc motor, Invacom 0.3 lnb and............ Dragon cam with loader. All for £299 plus £20 off if you are a member of toecutters which I am. Sounds like quite a good deal to me.

However, saw on toecutters that this receiver has had some problems with the dragon cam. I want to watch tps, digital +, sly italia, conax etc, so this would be an issue for me. Anyone had any experience with this receiver? Would it be worth me changing my humax to this one, or should I just buy a motor and dragon cam seperately and stick with my old receiver? Any comments would be appreciated. Thank you.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Don't know about the CAM/receiver problems, but you can't knock the price. :)

chrislloret

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
Your Humax FOX got no CI Slot, so you can´t put a dragon cam in. If you not like to spend a lot of money, try the galaxie FCIS7000, around a 110 pounds and works with an emulator that must be positivly the easiest to program, 3 clicks and you´re away.
It got diseq 1.2, 4000 Ch AND 2 CI Slots, but you do not need them. Together with a motor, 90cm and a sturdy holder, you should get all that for under 200 pounds. It will recieve all the ch you want, currently 28 (free), 19Holland, Spain,Austria,full x, 13 Italy,TPS,AB,SRG,HRT,SLO,Poland and Raisat,all on sirius and Thor except I can not verify that since I´m too much south and even my 1.8 can´t get it,30 all CABO and Socecable, 43Fox and Latin,45 Latin.
Those are the commercial ch. Of course it pulls in all feeds, down to 1200.
It´s at the moment the cheapest reciever I know that runs a motor and is running really really stable. The little brother, the galaxy easy runs on a nother software (geppo) and is not near as stable as the FCIS7000. It also got no Diseq 1.2
greetings
c

jlpa

Impossible is nothing
Reaction score
Thanks for that Chris, sounds very good, will look into it. Just wondering, you mention a 90 cm dish for the motorised system you're talking about. Do you think I could get away with keeping my existing 80 cm dish and adding a motor to it? Will I be able to get a good enough signal with it? I live in London, if that is of any help.

jlpa

Impossible is nothing
Reaction score
Also, Chris, am I right in saying that once all the the required firmware has been downloaded to the galaxy receiver you mention, via a pc, that all the bouquets you mention will work. Then whenever there are any key changes, they can all be done via the remote control without the need to connect the receiver to a pc again. Sorry, I'm not too clued up on emulators and how they work.

chrislloret

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
Well, yes, its been roumered that is possible,however I did not do that yet, I just upgrade the software with my notebook, it only takes 2 mins and the channellist is not altered. All one has to remember is after the upgrade press menue and type 4 times 9. That activates the emulator. About the 80cm, yes of course you can keep it,including your LNB, so all you need is the reciever and the motor. Its just that bigger is in Satellite always better. It also depends what you want to see, the normal channels around europe can be seen by 80cm in London easy. For software one of the fastest I seen is gxmax.com. Goodluck
Chris