Advice on Choosing a New System

zanders

Reaction score
My Location
Hampshire, UK
Hi All,

I want to get back into the whole satelite arena, however it has been many years and the technology has now moved on.

I used to have an analogue system for accessing TV1000 with a d2mac decryption and an 80cm dish with tri LNB's - all of this has now been binned
and I would like to start afresh.

Ultimately I would like to buy a good cheap basic system that would allow me to access the 24 hour mature content channels + swedish channels + English premier League.

I already have a Sky digital installation but I intend to leave that alone.

If possible I would like to purchase a dish no larger than 80cm but if there is no other choice then thats tough.

I live just outside London in the UK,

I guess I am looking for a shopping list,

I.e,

Sat Unit.
Dish.
LNB.
Cams?
Cards?

Good cheap online supplier - I have seen some links on this site but too many to sift through.

etc.

Cheeky as hell I know but damn useful if you guys come through.

I realise that there is always a difference of opinion on systems but I am hoping that there would be a general concensus on the hardware??

Please let me know if I have left any info out?

Thanks for all your help.

zanders

Reaction score
My Location
Hampshire, UK
Hang in there Dude - Someone will reply soon.

AForester

01LD1E
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
a variety of lnb's (5), dishes (2), diseqc motors (3) and receivers (4).
My Location
East of Cambridge (GB).
hm-sat.de is where I get most of my gear from, or in the Uk John at satellitetvsolutions.co.uk
Regards AF

sat novice

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5500 Super,SG2100,Raven 90 cm,42east to 30west,36" of CRT,Freeview from Crystal Palace,6.1 surround,Custom PC,Wireless network.
My Location
Birth Place of Radio
zanders said:
Hi All,

I want to get back into the whole satelite arena, however it has been many years and the technology has now moved on.

I used to have an analogue system for accessing TV1000 with a d2mac decryption and an 80cm dish with tri LNB's - all of this has now been binned
and I would like to start afresh.

Ultimately I would like to buy a good cheap basic system that would allow me to access the 24 hour mature content channels + swedish channels + English premier League.

I already have a Sky digital installation but I intend to leave that alone.

If possible I would like to purchase a dish no larger than 80cm but if there is no other choice then thats tough.

I live just outside London in the UK,

I guess I am looking for a shopping list,

I.e,

Sat Unit.
Dish.
LNB.
Cams?
Cards?

Good cheap online supplier - I have seen some links on this site but too many to sift through.

etc.

Cheeky as hell I know but damn useful if you guys come through.

I realise that there is always a difference of opinion on systems but I am hoping that there would be a general concensus on the hardware??

Please let me know if I have left any info out?

Thanks for all your help.
Hi Zanders, I would agree with foresters recommendation of John @ sat tv solutions,he supplied my Moteck Diseqc motor as well as my Gemini 90cm (the cheapest that I found in the u.k).you could also try Myers sat in walthamstow who import/sell the technomate boxes.

When it comes down to what cam/card combination you may require then maybe have a look at the Matrix reloaded/Revolution,titanium or M2 card,both of which will require some sort of additional hardware to program in the necessary codes/firmware to enable you to watch encrypted channels.

As a recent newcomer to the sat scene myself,I have found the posters on this site to be most helpful and knowledgable to say the least.so i don't think you will be short of any advice.

P.S I also found it helpful to have a read up of the latest publications , ie wotsat mag for the latest deals on equipment and prices.

I would just like to point out that I am in no way connected to the above mentioned retailers,they are my opinions which will no doubt differ from the other members on this board.
All the best.

sat novice.:)

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
If you are ok with FTP on your computer and able to set up a network connection in your Windows version, then the Dreambox is the receiver of the moment in my eyes, requies a bit of study, but will produce everything you require without the aid of CAMs and cards.

I use a Moteck SG-2100 DiseqC motor with an 80cm dish and pull in enough for my viewing requirements, but a 90cm would give you slightly more, the Raven Gemini is a nice dish for the money, ot perhaps one of the Technisat 85cm Aluminium dishes from the link at the top of the forum to sateuropa,co,uk

zanders

Reaction score
My Location
Hampshire, UK
Thanks to you all for your help so far - I bought Satellite & Digital Choice and What Satellite to help with trying to find the right system.

One more question now though do you guys use a USB card writer on your PC's to update codes on the CAMS?

Thats it for now - I will be i am sure asking more questions in the future.

Thanks again.