Advice on Satellite Setup

frappy

Reaction score
I presently have Sky and wish to "expand" to other satellites. Can I have installed, a fixed 70cm dish with 3 Lnbs to view Hot Bird (13E & 19E) and Sky? (the Sky dish will be removed) I'm looking at Technomate receivers. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

G

GotMyBusPass

@ frappy

You might get an LNB bracket to cover those 3 satellites but you really need a larger dish, 80-90cms. The larger the better, you can officially put up a dish of up to 90cms in the uk without planning permission as long as you are not in a consevation area etc etc and it's not above the ridge line of the house.
You will need to look at suppliers web sites to see if you can get an LNB bracket to do what you want.

Take a look at http://www.odpm.gov.uk/stellent/groups/odpm_planning/documents/page/odpm_plan_606331.hcsp
for the present rules
GMBP

PS welcome to the board:D

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Should be OK with one dish, but does depend on where you are, here's one I prepared earlier, receives all three well. This one is a 70cm Raven Gemini, with three of the famous Channel Hopper Cal' Amp' LNBs, it has a four way DiseqC switch, but you could just as easily use a two way and run a separate cable to the digibox for the 28.2E LNB.

PS location is Berkshire and with these brackets, you really do need to do a bit of bending to make them produce the best results. :)

G

GotMyBusPass

Nice set up rolfw

I only mentioned a larger dish as most "dablers in this hobby" advocate a 80cm dish for 13 & 19 east.
Can I assume from your picture that the dish is centred on 13east and the furthest LNb looking at the strongest satellite at 28.2east?

cheers/GMBP

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Yes, that's right GMBP, I was sceptical when I first tried one of these raven 70cm dishes, I knew that they were excellent for single and bi-sat reception, but thought that 15 degrees may have been pushing it.

I had to bend the bracket inwards for the outer sats, but managed to get better signal than from a Sky minidish on the outer LNB in the end.

I'm looking to try a similar setup on the Raven 90cm Gemini, but they are apparently in short supply.

telly2

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
HI there
I have the same setup but have 19e as the prime focus. Works fine with my humax

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Yes, I'm sure that you will find some E-tailers with stocks, I only buy from trade suppliers though, as I have to have to sell them on. :)

G

GotMyBusPass

@ rolfw

Sorry about that, senile dementia setting in on my part, I should have realised by your posts that you are a tradesman.

GMBP:)

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
LOL, yes for my sins. :)

frappy

Reaction score
Having successfully installed a 90cm fixed dish with 3 lnbs to receive Hotbird, Astra and Sky, my Technomate 5500 CI super + receiver does not have a very good manual. Is there a PDF copy anywhere which goes into more detail as I do not (yet) fully understand some of the jargon. Otherwise I'm very pleased with the installation (with the help of a friend I might add).

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
They have a download section on their site, but it isn't set up yet, but you can contact them to see if they'll send you one http://www.technomate.com/contact.php

Don't be too surprised if it isn't the most informative manual in the world though. :)

AForester

01LD1E
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
a variety of lnb's (5), dishes (2), diseqc motors (3) and receivers (4).
My Location
East of Cambridge (GB).
Past experience of Technomate site is that the PDF down load of the manual is exactly the same as the hard copy that you receive with the receiver

Regards AF

bunnyhutch

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky. PC & Laptop
My Location
UK
rolfw said:
Yes, that's right GMBP, I was sceptical when I first tried one of these raven 70cm dishes, I knew that they were excellent for single and bi-sat reception, but thought that 15 degrees may have been pushing it.

I had to bend the bracket inwards for the outer sats, but managed to get better signal than from a Sky minidish on the outer LNB in the end.

I'm looking to try a similar setup on the Raven 90cm Gemini, but they are apparently in short supply.

Hi there.

I'm considering getting either a Raven Gemini 70 (mesh) or 90 (solid) dish with multi-ln clamps.

I'm wanting to get 28e, 19e & 13e on the same dish. Will the R.G.70 acheive this? (I'm in Whitby, North Yorks - NE coast) Obviously 90 would be better, but is it possible with 70 as a smaller mesh dish would be better? Windy location, etc.

Ideally, I'd like to get either:
1) 42e (for footy on TV8), 33e, 28e, 19e, 13e, or
2) 33e (for footy on Fox Turk), 28e, 23e, 19e, 13e

I know this would have to be the R.G.90, it anything. But would the outer sats be far to weak?

Thanks
:)

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
You're not going to have a lot of luck with 23.5E, 90cm will be too small for your location as far as I know, also it is probably too close to 19E, unless you use bullet LNBs.

It looks like the spot beam on Eurobird 3 at 33E should be OK (Beam A)

You should be able to do the second option without 23.5E.