Advice on T&K brackets - sizes

TimUK

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
not yet installed
My Location
Herts
I hope to set-up my first motorised system shortly and am intending to buy the various bits of kit as I go because if I get the lot I will only try and have everything installed and being watched in half a day leading to a poorish install.

I will be using a dish of no more than 1 metre size with a DiseqC dark or technomate motor. However as I don't yet have the dish or motor I am unsure what size T&K brackets I will require to allow full movement of the dish.

The dish will be going on a south facing wall.

Any advice as to choice of rawl plugs etc for mounting also most welcome and the distance between the T and K bracket. My existing sky dish is about 3 metres above the ground and I am intending to have the new dish in a similar position.

Finally is a 2" diameter pole recommended, only I only have smaller diameter pole here and have seen 2" pole being sold for silly prices - 35 notes for a 2m long pole seems outrageous.

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Northants, Midlands UK & Lanzarote, Canary Islands
Hi Tim,

Anchors bolts are fairly strong for TK fixings, also depends on the brickwork of course.

Spacing the brackets will again depend on the length of the mast but as a rule 500mm minimum. See if you can get a scaffold mast, very strong :)

timbo86

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7020, CM 1.2 with invacom quad c120 & channelmaster feedhorn.
My Location
Belfast, Northern Ireland
I would try and pole mount it above the gutter to give you a better view of the arc. Depending on what size of the soffit, normally 12 or 18 inch T & K could be used. With a 3 meter 2inch steel mast.

Steel masts are not expensive, most suppliers will cut them by the meter and shouldn't be anymore than £15 for 3 meters.

Make sure you get the best motor you can afford as a 1 meter dish is heavy and it will act like a sale when it's windy.

The Dark motor comes highly recommended.

Or you could use a 24 inch T & K and have the dish lower down. 24 inch brackets should give you enough clearance depending on your location to true south.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
If you use something like a Fracarro Penta 85 and your wall is actually South facing with a clear line of sight, then 12" brackets will suffice and a small length of scaffold pole as suggested above. I used to get 6ft lengths from a local scaffold company for a fiver each, he charged the same for 10ft lengths, just had to make sure that he gave me new ones.:)

Motor wise, I prefer the Moteck or Technomate.:)

sonnetpete

Grumpy Old Retired Moderator and quiz inquisitor..
Reaction score
Website
wordpress.com
My Satellite Setup
Laminas 1.2M fibre dish with an IBU, on a Clarke Tech USALS motor, covering 57E - 24.5W to an Octagon SX88. Displayed on a 20" Dyon LED TV.

Seperate 80 cm dish on 28E with a Humax Freesat for SWMBO.
Free Sat V8 meter. Sony Bravia 46" LCD, Sony BluRay and Home Cinema.
My Location
Normandy, France
Hi Tim,

My system is mounted on a South facing wall, below the gutter and is on 12" T&K's. Brackets are 1 metre apart, pole 4cm x 1m 50cm, though a store purchased one rather than a scaffold pole.

Dish 1 Metre and can see the arc from 50°E to I would guess 50°W if the trees weren't in the way!!

Pete

Attachments

• It's up (2).JPG
    It's up (2).JPG
    325 KB · Views: 156

Vipersan

Emmett Browns Ghost
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
IP9000HD +
TD110 Dish and TD88 Dish in Tandem
66°East to 60°West.
AZbox PrmHD + OpnbxS9HD + Skybox + DrHD F15
2x VboxII AZ-EL
2 m+ Alcoa PF + BSC421 C-Band lnbf...
+SS2/TwHnS2-3200 pci/TBS6925 pci
1.5 Fortec Star -Gbox - HtoH Ku/Ka/C
My Location
UK
Hi ..
Used 2 mtre Pole and 2 Ts +2 Ks on my setup
motorised 1.1 mtre dish..
Mainly due to the heavier steel dish..
Also left room for a fixed dish at a later date.
The brackets were 18 inch ..but would easily have got away with 12 inch brackets...but went down this route because I wasn't sure I'd miss the soil stack at extreme west
I used anchor bolts rather than rawlbolts ..
..as its old brickwork and I didn't want to be doing repairs later.

I've since fitted another dish to get the Eastern half of the arc ...on another south facing wall 20 mtrs to the west..
This motorised dish was only 80cm and was confident 12 inch T & K's would be sufficient ..
Indeed there was room to spare /clearance to the wall..
rgds
VS

Attachments

• Dishes.jpg
    Dishes.jpg
    217.8 KB · Views: 158

bigup

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Penta 85 dish, TM2600 motor, T&K brackets, inverto ultra black twin lnb, vu+ duo receiver
My Location
Lancashire
sorry to bump an old thread

would a 12" T&K bracket be enough for a Triax TD88 on a south facing wall bellow gutter?

or would an 18" one be better?

thanks

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
If it truly is facing no more than 10 or 15 degrees from South, then 12" should be ok -------------- assuming you are referring to a motorised installation: The motor itself will effectively increase the stand off.

Of course, you will need to mount the dish low enough so as not to interfere with the guttering (Unless you also use a longish pole and get the dish above the guttering).

You'd be better off putting all these subsidiary questions in your own Thread so Members can see the whole story rather than finding bits and pieces all over the Forum :)