Advice Please

nigdav

Reaction score
I have a Manhattan dsr 2500 which has gone kaput. The red power light come on but absolutely nothing else happens. I keep the receiver in the Conservatory which may be the problem. Can something 'dry out'?

Can any one tell me if the problem is repairable or as the receiver is now a few years old would it be more cost effective to replace it alltogether.

Thanks
ND

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
Welcome to the forum nigdav
It is unfortunate that your dsr 2500 is kaput. it is extremely difficult to diagnose something when it is infront of you let alone not being able to inspect it.
I am no electrical or electronics engineer and have never seen your dsr but I think I know of a few things you can check. If you have a red light then this means there is at least power to unit via the mains lead. Is there a screw in type fuse socket on the back of the dsr??? have you checked this fuse? Is the f connector screwed in correctly to the dsr? Can you remember what the sequence is when it boots and which bits are not happening?.
If you are considering a new purchase then go for a unit that is well supported with patches such as the technomate TM 1500, there is a full reveiw if you click here

spiney

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Pace 2200 Sky digibox with ftv card, Comag SL65 FTA sat receiver, 40cm Sky minidish, Setpal terrestrial receiver (for free uk tv only!).
My Location
Midlands
does the reveiver do anything at all? what about video outputs, response to remote control, software functions, etc?

i'm not an expert on Manhatten, but more symptoms might suggest something.

which model? which light comes on?

Lancelot

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
SS1.
125cm Gibbi with Channelmaster feedhorn and Inverto C120 twin.
36v H to H 62E - 61.5W
My Location
South central
Electrloytic capacitors 'dry out' fairly readily and fail on a regular basis.
There are PSU repair kits containing these for recievers (£15 or so) so it is easy to repalce them.
Don't think your conservatory had much to do with it as the cheap switchmode power supplies they put in recievers are usually the weakest part of them.

L.:)

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Cheap SMPUs, not in the 2500, in the later models yes

Two capacitors will be at fault, C109 and C112.

Just replace them (about £3 each) note polarity before taking out though

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Let us know if it works

nigdav

Reaction score
I have looked at the circuit board and the Cap C109 appears not to be the original. All the others are marked with writing apart from this one plus the ends are shorter than the others. I am going to try and replace it myself. I am not technical at all but have looked at some websites and it appears pretty straight forward. All I need to know is when I go to Maplins do I ask for a C109 Capacitor or will they need some other technical term. Are c109 caps universal?

Im going to buy a soldering kit as well.

I know, i'm a d***head.

Help really appreciated

ND

spiney

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Pace 2200 Sky digibox with ftv card, Comag SL65 FTA sat receiver, 40cm Sky minidish, Setpal terrestrial receiver (for free uk tv only!).
My Location
Midlands
you need the capacitance value (in micro farads), and correct (or better)voltage rating, if electrolytic. Things like "c109" Just refer to position on the schematic circuit drawing.

Easiest thing might be to remove the (suspected) faulty one, and take it with you to Maplin, but that's a bit hit and miss, much better if you could fault find first.

If the capacitor is electrolytic and polarised (has either plus or minus signs down one side), then put replacement in the same way round, otherwise it will go "pop" when power is applied.

Lancelot

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
SS1.
125cm Gibbi with Channelmaster feedhorn and Inverto C120 twin.
36v H to H 62E - 61.5W
My Location
South central
Hopper will most likley know the value as he probably had a diag to call the cap number on the board in the first place.

Hang fire until he posts back. Then you will know the value you are after.

L.

nigdav

Reaction score
yeah thats the problem I cant see diddly squat on the cap. It has no markings at all. So how can I tell what size it is etc. Think I might just take it to a repairer, sounds safer. Thanks for your help

nigdav

Reaction score
Ok Lancelot just read yours will hang on just in case. Thanks

ND

spiney

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Midlands
if no markings at all, and physically small (?), then not electrolytic!

nigdav

Reaction score
No Spinney, its midsize and looks like all the others except it has no markings. It looks to my untrained eye like it has been previously repaired. There are some weld marks to the rear where as the rest are clean. Its located at C109 so its defo a capacitor. I bought this second hand so not too sure of its history.

ND

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
I only recall the board numbers from memory, not from a repair book.

Again from memory they were both 2200uF and 10V, but dont quote me on it

nigdav

Reaction score
Hi Channel Hopper C 112 appears to be 1000uf 10v. Can you remember if they were both the same?ND

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Triple Dragon, Dreambox 8000, Echostar AD3000ip, TBS6522,6925,6983 PCie cards.
Gibertini 1.25m motorised dish driven by the AD3000, with either Inverto BU Quad or Norsat / XMW Ka LNBs . SMW 1.05m + 3 other dishes. Speccy: Promax HD Ranger+
My Location
The Flatlands of East Anglia
Whatever electrolytic you replace in the SMPS, make sure they're high temperature types (105 deg.C)

Llew

spiney

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Midlands
Good luck with repair, hope that's the problem!

Just to say, all electrolytics are relatively large, even 10v ones, others tend to be ceramic discs, although there are more types (of course).

nigdav

Reaction score
Okay Spiney thanks again to everyone for all the advice I received.

ND

I'll be back later to tell you how loud the 'bang' was!

nigdav

Reaction score
Miracles do happen Ive only gone and bloody fixed it. No bangs or fires as yet. Didn't even burn myself with the soldering iron!
Again many thanks to all who offered help. Ive seen some forums where the 'experts' treat newbies with contempt.
Full of praise!

ND