advice (please)!

M

mildewolf

I WONDER IF SOMEBODY COULD HELP ME GET OFF THE GROUND AS I AM NEW TO THE SATELLITE WORLD, I HAVE BOUGHT A FEW MAGS BUT THEY SEEM NOT TO HELPFUL FOR A NOVICE. I WOULD LIKE TO PICK UP ITALIAN&SPANISH SPORT THAT KIND OF THING, AND THE BASIC OTHER STUFF AS WELL, WHAT SOULD I BE LOOKING AT SPENDING MONEY A BIT TIGHT AS THE WIFE HAS A GO ABOUT ALL THE GADGETS DVD,S SOUND SYSTEMS AND ALL THAT. AND PLEASE COULD SOME ONE EXPLAIN ABOUT CAMS!
THANKS MILDEWOLF.........

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
[updated:LAST EDITED ON 28-Apr-02 AT 09:24 PM (GMT)]Wow, big question :) Deserves a big answer as well, but you've left the question pretty open and there are lots of routes to a similar end.

If you have a PC and can get hold of a Hauppauge DVBs card from PC world at £130ish on special, then with some free software and a dish pointing at a pair of satellites will get you loads of football. Have a look in the relevant forum for more info, you can do a search for "Multidec".

Have a look through the Cams and decoders section and you will soon find out what one does and also that they are not a cheap item, also that the encryptions are being upgraded, so it could be a lean time for free satellite for a while. There are a wealth of receivers around and some can be flash programmed to give multi-encryption reception, but the more popular ones are more expensive.

rolf

PS. Please turn off the caps lock.