Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TEchnomate 1500 CI+ Super
80cm Dish
Fortec Start Universal Single 0.3 NF
My Location
Scotland

Hi,
I need some advice to buy the right equipment. I have been reading the forum trying to find the answers but as I don’t understand about satellite some of the answers I am unable to understand.
I live in Scotland, and pretend to buy a satellite system to watch Hispasat 1D 30W. I only want free channels.
I pretend a fix system. After read a bit I have decided for Technomate 1500 receiver.
I think with a 60 cm dish would have enough, but I am not sure, could anyone confirm this please?
Other thing, what kind of LNB do I need?
Do I need anything else?

Thanks a lot

mhku

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM Nano ~ sg2100
My Location
Midlands
Are there any free channels on 30W? And why 60cm, a 90cm would be better.

burnet01

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Dish
My Location
Scotland
mhku said:
Are there any free channels on 30W? And why 60cm, a 90cm would be better.

Hispasat brodcast a lot of free channels, I checked in Hispasat's web.
Also I could see a footprint for the reception of Hispasat and I think 60 cm is the right size for Scotland (i just want big enough to receive, I don't want oversize as i will install the dish in the window), but I am not quite sure about this, as I don't understand about this subject.

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
You might be pushing your luck with such a small dish, that far north, and through a window, but stranger things have happened!

burnet01

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Dish
My Location
Scotland
BGonaSTICK said:
You might be pushing your luck with such a small dish, that far north, and through a window, but stranger things have happened!

The size of the dish is what recomend the web of the satellite; http://www.hispasat.com/Detail.aspx?SectionsId=60&lang=es

I can see in the area where I am 50 is the size recomended. I am not going to put the dish through the window, the dish will be outside the window with no obstacule in front.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
The chart shown on the Hispasat site is a rough guide, I see that they show a 50cm zone over parts of Scotland, but I wouldn't rely on it being totally accurate. Better to define your area more precisely and see what other members in the similar area can receive with their dishes.

However, if you are happy going along with the recommended siize (or a tad bigger as you suggest), then the only other thing you need is a digital receiver and they can be bought for under £80. :)

burnet01

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Dish
My Location
Scotland
rolfw said:
The chart shown on the Hispasat site is a rough guide, I see that they show a 50cm zone over parts of Scotland, but I wouldn't rely on it being totally accurate. Better to define your area more precisely and see what other members in the similar area can receive with their dishes.

However, if you are happy going along with the recommended siize (or a tad bigger as you suggest), then the only other thing you need is a digital receiver and they can be bought for under £80. :)

I am no happy or unhappy with the recommended size, I just don't understand, so far it's what I have seen.

What LNB should I buy?

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Just buy a good low noise one, have a look at the advertising banners at the top of the page and see what is available, there is a crop of 0.3db universal LNBs around now for very reasonable prices. :)

PS. A good reason for going over size on the dish is weather conditions, I know it is very unusual to experience rainy weather in Scotland ;), but the bigger the dish, the less it will cause signal drop out when rain occurs. :)

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No satellite stuff for the moment (aside from a 43cm minidish that was on the house already), Samsung SyncMaster T27B550 Smart TV & Monitor, and a few computers...
My Location
Near Pontop Pike, Co. Durham
I use an 80cm dish indoors (I'm in Lancashire), I can get away with a 60cm but as stated I use an oversized dish to compensate fo weather conditions. The type of LNB needed is a "Universal" one, and anything with a dB rating of 0.6dB or less is fine, but the lower the dB the better. As for Cable, I use CT100 Satellite Cable, but there are a lot more types out there which can be used too.

A digital receiver shouldn't be too hard to get, there are plenty to choose from, but if you want to start off with a basic one look for ones with "FTA" in the description as "CI" ones tend to be a little more expensive (but can be used to receive Pay channels if you so wished).

My personal setup is an 80cm dish with (a new but old stock) Cambridge UniversalIII 0.7dB (yeah I know, a noisy old LNB!!!), going to either my PortyII looped through to my Pace MSS300 analogue box or straight into my Nokia 9800s, with about 1.5 metres of cable from dish to first receiver.

burnet01

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Dish
My Location
Scotland
Thanks guys, I got in mind the system I need;
Technomate 1500 receiver, Universal LNB 0.3 db, and 75 cm dish.

I was thinking to buy the receiver in Ebay, as I can find some patched already and one year guarantee. Is it trusty buy on Ebay?

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Sounds like a nice setup, ebay is only as trustworthy as the person you buy from, have a good look at their feedback first.

burnet01

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Dish
My Location
Scotland
I am just about to buy the Technomate 1500. I just got one doubt;
is it worth to buy the receiver patched already or it’s better buy “virgin” from the factory? I was wondering if the receiver is patched already, how can I be sure the receiver I am buying is brand new?
Other thing, I have seen Technomate 1500 “Super”, but in the web of Technomate there is no any 1500 “Super”, any one know what is this?
Can any one recommend me a trusty place to buy the receiver?