djc

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM7020-S

88cm Triax Dish

1.8m Channel Master soon to be installed
My Location
Doncaster
Not been a really great weekend PC wise for me and this just tops it off.

Right need someone to confirm what I think, that my Card is knackered.

The Symptoms started earlier this evening, I tried to access a web page and the machine crashed, no blue screen, just a yellow screen with black zig zags (well kind of) all the way from top to bottom.

Anyway restarted and left my machine for a while, upon my return I found the monitor (Dell P991) to be turned off, at the time I thought I may have not set the screensaver/energy settings correctly as I had recently done a fresh install of XP, but when I moved the mouse and hit the keyboard, nothing happened.

So restarted and it loaded up again, then came more of the same errors. It runs for about 5 mins then just turns off (with the monitor) and if I am running any programs I just get a broken up graphics on the screen, which result in a crash.

BTW the Card is a Nvidia FX5600 XT and is about 2 years old.

Thanks to anybody who reads this and hope you can help.

Cheers

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
Have you had the card out at all??? is it AGP ??? I am assuming it is and therefore should not have any location/seating problems. Certainly does sound quite serious. So correct me if I am wrong it does work but not for long yes??

djc

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM7020-S

88cm Triax Dish

My Location
Doncaster
Yup had the card out, give it a dust down etc, checked it was seated fine.

It will boot up, but dies soon after.

Thinking about it, if I leave it at my Desktop it will just turnoff the Monitor, but if I running a proggy it makes the screen go all crap.

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
Perhaps it is worth a try. Start button run type dxdiag then follow the instructions, but if your system is not stable enough now to get to desktop you could be wasting your time. There are a number of things to try before throwing the towel in. Whe you reinstalled XP did all the correct drivers get loaded for your card??? Have they been updated to the latest specs. Is your memory seated correctly on the card. Is your bios set correctly. Why did you do the reinstall anyway???

djc

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM7020-S

88cm Triax Dish

My Location
Doncaster
I'll have to answer most in the morning as I my bed is calling. But, the drivers are the same as I have been running since I got the card. Again same thing with the BIOS, not altered any settings and the PC is not really in a position for the memory unseated, but then again will double check all these things along with doing that dxdiag in them morning.

Thanks for your suggestions, will report back.

Laters

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
I couldn't sleep so back to my PC
It does seem that your card may have developed a fault possibly a dry joint or a failing component. I'll be at work in the morning but I'm sure there will be plenty of help around most of whom will have more expertise than me. If you do end up purchasing a new one just do not buy one from Ebay, there are too many cowboys selling junk secondhand cards with no warranties and no money back such as Kumkov. A new card is only £60.00 even at PC World.
I'll check on the postings tomorrow evening

djc

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM7020-S

88cm Triax Dish

My Location
Doncaster
Found the problem, it was a piece of ram that had slightly come out (and I mean slightly) :-ohmy . Anyway this seems to have solved my problem.

Cheers anyway.

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
It's happend to us all!

If it does re-occur, you may want to make sure that your power supply is up to the job. As you chuck in more cards/drives etc, you can soon overload (for example) a cheap 400W power supply.

Also try runing with the case open for a bit if you think it may be heat realted.

Hope you don't have to resort to any of these suggestions.

STICK

djc

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM7020-S

88cm Triax Dish

My Location
Doncaster
Forget my last post, as it happened again soon after that post.

At last I believe, after exhaustive testing I have found that the problem is a faulty dimm.

Cheers

djc

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM7020-S

88cm Triax Dish

My Location
Doncaster
Wrong again, still problems. I'm swaying more to the thought of a faulty Graphics Card. I say this due to the symptoms, like if it was memory fault, it may well cause the screen to freeze funny colours, but it wouldn't just turn off the monitor.

Will go out and get a new one and try that and hope it cures it, if it doesn't )(-red

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
Are you sure it's not an under-performing power supply? Are you still running your SS2 card as well? Pull out the SS2 and test it for a day or two.

djc

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM7020-S

88cm Triax Dish

My Location
Doncaster
hmm good point, although shouldn't be a problem with a 360w Antec PSU ?

Will do anyway, seemed to have tried everything else.

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
Well it's a good PSU, so seems unlikely, but at least it won't cost you any money to find out...

djc

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM7020-S

88cm Triax Dish

My Location
Doncaster
Nah, tried that. I really think that its gotta be the Graphics Card, as even if I start from cold and go into the Bios setup, if I leave it the screen just breaks up.

Will get a new Card tomorrow.