Advise needed Javea Spain

Geoff Simpson

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Hi to all you experts, I need help regarding reception in Spain, my system at the moment consists of Amstrad DRX100 with a 1.2m dish - it will pick-up BBC & Channel 5 24/7 but at no time ITV.
Have tried to find information on the internet (only just found this site) and have now purchased the following: Grundig GDS 3000 - Channel Master (offset) 1.8m dish, the guy who I bought the dish from also made up a lead which is about 10mm thick as used on radio stations. Have been advised that best LNB would be a MTI (Blue)
Questions:
(1) Any advise on the LNB
(2) Which would be the best place to mount: Option !, On flat roof of house. 2. In garden clear veiw side screened with wall and hedge
(3) No one seems to mention the Grundig GDS3000, is the Panasonic TUbs30 better
(4) What's my chances of getting ITV with the above
Will take the box and lead out late Feb - the dish goes late Apr unless you think I'm wasting my time, thanks for reading, Geoff (UK)

Old Satellite

Retired Mod
Reaction score
The MTI lnbs normally provide good performace/cost

The 1.8 channel master dish is equally a good quality dish, your location is a little far south for 2d potentially even with a 1.8 mtr for 100 % reception.

I would have normally have reccomended a 2.4mtr for the location, however the Astra 2d footprint varies a great deal once outside of the specified recieving footptint area. There are good reports from locations close by that use a 1.8 and generally seem to have a good experience.

The Grundig GDS 3000 reciever is of good reputation from my experience. The panasonic is often listed as providing better performace than other recievers in weak signal conditions.

I cant think for one momment however what the radio cable is going to acheive - dump it is my first suggestion Even if it is UHF television transmitter cable its specified frequency range is still to low.

High quality satellite cable is a better option and possibly much cheaper look for a maximum signal loss of around 16 -17 db per 100 mtr.

Regards

Old Satellite

Geoff Simpson

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Good Morning Old Satellite, Many thanks for your response. Would you suggest I dump the Grundig in favour of the Panasonic - regards Geoff

Old Satellite

Retired Mod
Reaction score
If you already have the Grundig then NO the differance in performace is quite small.

Regards

Old Satellite

dishdoctor

Hmm, now what seems to be the problem?
Reaction score
My Location
Torreblanca ,Malaga
The MTI Blue is a very good lnb for a weak signal here in Spain,even the amstrad will pick up all the channels with a bigger dish,but it is so slow as to drive you mad waiting for it to change channels or searching for programme details.The Panasonic is the choice of those that know,followed closly by the Grundig 310/2 and 2000 models.As for siting the dish,try to shield it from strong winds,if you have a patio or a walled garden this is always a better choice than a roof fixture.............Brian

Geoff Simpson

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Thanks Brian, the reason I asked as to position is I do have a existing concrete mount (past owner I presume) but it would mean it would have clear site forward ok but a lot of greenery at sides - don't understand if this can effect signal - regards Geoff

dishdoctor

Reaction score
My Location
Torreblanca ,Malaga
I dont think the greenery at the sides will have any effect on the signal,as long as the dish has a clear view forward,and to some degree above,you should not have a problem.I presume it is a offset dish as opposed to a prime focus,as a prime focus points directly at the satellite and a offset points below the satellite...............Brian

Geoff Simpson

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Yes it is a offset dish, would you advise the best coax I could buy - I want to give it the best chance before thinking about a 2.4m dish - my proposals now are: Channel Master 1.8m dish - Panasonic TU-DSB30 - MTI (Blue) LNB, I will also take out the Grundig for comparison - Geoff

dishdoctor

Reaction score
My Location
Torreblanca ,Malaga
As for coax any decent cable will do over runs of under 20 metres,I pay 25 eurocents per meter trade and never have any problems,this must be very cheap cable (15 pence per meter)so although the cable is important it's not a matter of life and death!.................................Brian