Advise on new receiver

coodem

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Nothing yet
My Location
Bucks
I currently have Sky+ and find it is getting too expensive, and there seem to be too many repeats on, I don't really watch a lot of tv, but do enjoy the occational Movie.

I intend to get a new receiver, but am unsure what to go for. I have been looking at the Kaon KSC570H the PVR version

I intend to do the following

90cm dish
Patch the unit to get some extra channels.
Try to get as much channels as I can, for as little £ as possible

So the big question, which is the best receiver to go for, the one that has the most patches around, the one that is most used and therefor would get more readily available info on.

I plab to keep the sky till I am happy with the replacment and am familier with updating keys, patching ect.

I don't want to spend a fortune to start with, well at least not till I am sure I am going to get everything I want/need.

Whats the best way to go?

Rob

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate TMS-1500 CI+ "patched" receiver, 90cm p/f 36v motorised dish, Inverto C120 0.3db LNB, Moteck V-Box 2, Packard Bell 6052 XP Home computer, Toshiba A60 laptop, and lots of Russian Vodka !
My Location
Essex
Everyone here must be sick to death of me saying this, but get a Technomate TM-1500 CI+ (see review in cunning called section Receiver Reviews) it will sent you back about £100-120, and it has a CI slot, a magic card reader and it can also be patched.
Very easy to use, a bloody bargain . :-thumb1

jimbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky HD, TM6800HD, Manhattan Plaza ST550 and TM1500 CI+. 1.0m dish and 36v motor, Panasonic DVD HDD recorder and Panasonic video/DVD recorder. Sony G800 HD TV stand/surround system + Sony KDL40W2000. Infinity USB, Elvis, CAS1, CAS2.
My Location
Greater London
Have to agree, the TM1500 is a good little machine, capable of a lot and has good support. It's not PVR though, so if HDD recording directly to the box is required then it won't do the job.

coodem

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Nothing yet
My Location
Bucks
Thanks for the advise, I read a lot about the technosat 1500 and a lot of others and after 5 hours of reading, you begin to loose the plot.

So here is my plan

Get the following 5795620002 on ebay. It seems to come with everything I need, I was not planning to go motorised, but instead I was going to use a dual offset mount for astra and hotbird, but I guess the motor will give me far more options

Does the above deal seem good? Will the LNB be OK, or shoould I think of buying seperates, or just worry about another LNB if I experience any problems

Thanks again for all the advise

Rob

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate TMS-1500 CI+ "patched" receiver, 90cm p/f 36v motorised dish, Inverto C120 0.3db LNB, Moteck V-Box 2, Packard Bell 6052 XP Home computer, Toshiba A60 laptop, and lots of Russian Vodka !
My Location
Essex
I think that £200 is a reasonable price, plus £10 delivery.
If you bought them separately I don't think you would save anything.
£210 for a full motorized system plus delivery not bad at all, go get it.

coodem

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Nothing yet
My Location
Bucks
I have gone ahead and ordered the deal, although the place i bought the system from sugested I spend a little more and go for the PVR ready Manhattan system. The also said that the motor mount might not withstand the winds we get around here, but never the less, I thought it was only £200, so not a lot to loose. The box should be patched when I receive it, so I guess I will just need to enter some keys.

I read I should be able to get the latest patch files from alsat.com but when trying this site it seems to hyper link to 10-15 sites before I get to some russian/greek site. I tried alsat.co.uk and found some patches their but non seemed to be up to date. Where do you guys suggest to get the most up to date, that apply to me. I have seen a lot, and son't want to end up patching with the wrong patch and killing the receiver.

Im really looking forward to get this system up and running and see what I can all get. Well thats after I manage to set the motorised dish up. My plan is to lock onto Thor then then let the box do the rest. But somehow this seems far to easy

Rob

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Essex
The patches on Alsat are the most up to date, take mine for example - it dates from 29-06-2005 and the reason that it has not been updated from then is that it still shows all of the channels.
For a Manhattan the last patch was on 26-07-2005.
One tip make sure that your pole (for the motor & dish) is 100% vertical on all four sides.

Lets us know how you get on.
Best of luck
Rob

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
Rob said:
One tip make sure that your pole (for the motor & dish) is 100% vertical on all four sides. Rob

Pole....... four sides???? mmmm top, bottom, circular bit, nope need help on that :-doh!

coodem

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Nothing yet
My Location
Bucks
Is it the .com or the .co.uk address I need?

jimbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky HD, TM6800HD, Manhattan Plaza ST550 and TM1500 CI+. 1.0m dish and 36v motor, Panasonic DVD HDD recorder and Panasonic video/DVD recorder. Sony G800 HD TV stand/surround system + Sony KDL40W2000. Infinity USB, Elvis, CAS1, CAS2.
My Location
Greater London
I have a Manhattan ST550 PVR and it's not the best receiver in the world. In fact the last software update re-introduced a problem they had a couple of versions ago. Recording to the HDD tends to be unreliable. Only last week it told me my HDD was corrrupt and sjould be re-formatted. I ignored that and switched it all off and whn I brought it all up again it was fine. So the TM1500 should be fine I reckon.

Any motor mount worthy of being called that should withstand the winds you get. I have a 1m dish strapped to the lower chimney on my house and it's been there years. No probs with it.

coodem

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Nothing yet
My Location
Bucks
Another question someone could possibly help me out with.

After I have patched the stb, I presume I will need to enter some keys? If so how is this done, I have read a few stickies, but have not seen it mentioned anywhere.

I notice that there is a key.bin file for the humax, I presume this is to enter a batch of keys to save time entering them one at a time? Having not come accross one for the technomate, I am presuming I need to enter them one at a time?

Sorry if the questions seem stupid, but this is the first time I'm playing with a non sky system. There seems such a lot to take in, but Im sure I will get their in the end

Thanking you all again for your help,

jimbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Greater London
I would wait until you're up and running. In most patch files there's a 'readme' text file to guide you. If not we can do so when you have the equipment to look at.

Rob

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Essex
toppervte33h said:
Pole....... four sides???? mmmm top, bottom, circular bit, nope need help on that :-doh!

You know what I mean topper. Do it this way then, north, east, west and south.
When I was adjusting the pole when I was putting my motor in, the southern side was 100% vertical but the western side was not.

It's the way I tell em................!
:D

Rob

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Essex
coodem said:
Is it the .com or the .co.uk address I need?

You need the co.uk. address, and after signing up (free) go to the Manhattan section.
If it had been a Technomate I could have told you how to download the patch, but for a Manhattan you will have to look around or ask.

Rob

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Essex
coodem said:
After I have patched the stb, I presume I will need to enter some keys

No, the patch has entered all the keys for you, once you have downloaded the patch all you have to do is put your feet up, get a drink and watch the tele. :-wow

the_wizzz

Slightly biased Technomate Seller
Reaction score
you should have gone for the technomate, mate!

jimbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Greater London
the_wizzz said:
you should have gone for the technomate, mate!
Hasn't he done that?

rhubarbe

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM600PVR (Poorly)
TF6000 (Poorly)
SkyHD
My Location
Cheshire
I read this thread for the same reasons he did. It told me buy a TM1500 CI +, so I bought TM1500 CI +

He should have gone to Specsavers.

Cheers guys. Long live the DarkM*n. :)

coodem

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Nothing yet
My Location
Bucks
Just to clarify, I bought/ordered a TM 1500. It was cheaper than the manhatten, and their seems to be more support on it, It also has a brilliant review. What more can I ask for?

Should receive it Monday. Lets just hope the weather stays nice, So I can get it all set up.

coodem

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Nothing yet
My Location
Bucks
I have installed the system although not set up the motor fully, as unable to find Thor.

At the moment Im pointed at hotbird, and found over 1100 channels. The problem is that most of them seem to be encrypted.

My STB came patched with SW version 1.46 12 July 2005, Would it help to upgrade to the latest technomate 1.48 from darkman?

The other question is when I come accross an encryted channel, do I need to be patient and wait for the STB to decrypt it.