Aerial on the chimney w\T&K?

KillingTime

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
IBM R51
My Location
Cheshire
Hi,This is a question about mounting 3 aerials on my chimney with a T&K bracket.

I know this is a satellite forum (sat disk going on another wall), but you seem to have more experience with mounting poles & T&K brackets than most others.

Everyone on my street has their tv aerials mounted on their chimneys with those wrap around wire mountings. I did have one of these when I bought the house, but they don't seem to do a very good job of holding the pole straight, so I took it down.I've bought a T&K and 2" dia 6ft galv pole. I was going to mount three aerials : FM (yagi) / DAB (bipole) / TV on the 6ft pole and attach it to the chimney via the T&K.

Can anyone see a problem with this?

As far as loading goes, plenty of other people have a t least 3 tv aerials on there chimney although the poles are shorter, and none of these have toppled (yet).The only other option, is to mount the T&K at the peak of a gable wall (rear of house), and have a longer pole clear the roof tiles (TLC do a 12 ft - _https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/MX381.html
This would mean balancing the ladder on the (flat) conservatory ceiling, the conservatory extends out too far laterally to get the ladder to the wall while keeping an acceptable incline angle.

I've asked aerial companies to mount it on the gable wall, but none are interested. Would mean hiring scaffolding (££££££££).If I mount it on the chimney, I can do it myself without risking life & limb on the top of some plastic roof.

The only drawback of going with the chimney mount is that the chimney is well below the top of the roof, which means there is no clear line of sight to the transmitter. This is perhaps why so many people have 3 tv aerials all pointing in the same direction (correct me if wrong). The gable wall way would see no obstructions, being the highest place on the house.

Thanks.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Very few chimneys are suitable for T&K mounts, can you show us some pictures?

A galavanised 13.5" cradle mount should be fine for the aerials you mention, either that or a twin lashing kit, as they will easily support a 12ft x 2" steel or aluminium mast.

Here's one I prepared earlier. :) 12ft steel mast with UHF, DAB and omni VHF on twin lashing kit. Later addition, hence the spare mast below the bottom bracket, a 88cm Triax dish. :)

Attachments

• Tidmarsh.jpg
    Tidmarsh.jpg
    311 KB · Views: 57
  • Tidmarsh1.jpg
    Tidmarsh1.jpg
    294.3 KB · Views: 62

KillingTime

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
IBM R51
My Location
Cheshire
Your installation looks good, but many of the other installations on my road that use the same wire mounts look like they've hit the brandy.

If you take a look at the picture closley, you will see the brick (reclaimed, hand made Cheshire brick), is weather eroded. This may be why the wire mounts are coming loose on so many of the houses on my street.

Sure, I could get the chinmeny rebuit, but bolting something in would get round the problem altogether.

Attachments

• DSC00247.jpg
    DSC00247.jpg
    116.5 KB · Views: 43

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
If the bricks erode that easily, then bolting a pair of T&K brackets to them is the last thing you want to do.

If you use a good quality bracket, or pair of brackets and lash it tightly, then it will last for years.

PS. Just upload your image as an attachment, then it is viewable in the thread.

aba

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
chaparral montery 40 fully loaded
ehcostar ad3600ipvia
3 dishes zone 2 / 1 mt motorized / 2.3 m motorized
My Location
nottingham
that's the only problem with haveing a house built out of reclaimed bricks they have already been weathered by at least 50 years
no wonder they are crumbling away

R

Rd100

I thought any mast on a stack over 6 foot needed planning permission naughty boy rolf:p:)

Nice tidy clean pro install rolf

rolfw said:
Very few chimneys are suitable for T&K mounts, can you show us some pictures?

A galavanised 13.5" cradle mount should be fine for the aerials you mention, either that or a twin lashing kit, as they will easily support a 12ft x 2" steel or aluminium mast.

Here's one I prepared earlier. :) 12ft steel mast with UHF, DAB and omni VHF on twin lashing kit. Later addition, hence the spare mast below the bottom bracket, a 88cm Triax dish. :)