AHH... The CLANGERS

Razor

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Ireland
In my early teens this was cool http://www.clangers.co.uk/home.htm In my 40's this is Magic, really really cool. And always better, second time around. You see things that you missed the first time. Same goes for a lot of shows, maybe too many to name.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
The soup dragon was always my favourite. :)

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
Amongst a group of people "of a certain age" you only have to mention the Clangers to be met with a round of hooting and whistling.

And yes, I am one of them...

PaulR

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
PaulR said:
Amongst a group of people "of a certain age" you only have to mention the Clangers to be met with a round of hooting and whistling

Not alone - we have one of the BBC originals from the IBC, batteries last a long time

PoloMint

Super Minty Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1200cc with 100,000,000,000 neurons and 100,000,000,000,000 connections
My Location
Fife, Scotland
I’m rather embarrassed to admit I only recently found out what a ‘clanger’ was, to the astonishment of many people of similar age to me who seem to be secret clanger fanatics.

One seems to live with me now, but it’s not mine, not normally on my desk either (as you can probably tell there isn’t really room, unless I tidied)

Sounds just like CHs...but it’s not an original, has 1999 on its label. Does the ‘S’ on it mean anything, like a name?

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
It's probably supposed to be Small Clanger.

Looking at http://www.clangers.co.uk/ gives a wealth of information. Did you know that part of an episode of the Clangers was shown in an episode of Dr WHo? No, neither did I.

I liked the story told by Oliver Postgate about the the time he took an episode to show at an international show without the customary English commentary:-

'I took an episode of The Clangers to the 1984 E.B.U. conference in Germany and showed it to the participants without my voice-over. Afterwards I asked them whether they had been able to understand what the Clangers were saying.
"But of course." they replied. "They are speaking perfect German."
"But no." said Gerd, "That is not so. They spoke only Swedish," '

Wonderful!

PaulR

Also, try reading up about the swearing on the Clangers - apparently it was true.

Rob

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate TMS-1500 CI+ "patched" receiver, 90cm p/f 36v motorised dish, Inverto C120 0.3db LNB, Moteck V-Box 2, Packard Bell 6052 XP Home computer, Toshiba A60 laptop, and lots of Russian Vodka !
My Location
Essex
What's all this about Clangers never heard of them, though I must admit I've dropped a few. O-Ha
Mind you if they came out in the late 60's I was in the Navy then (busy being sea-sick)
so you must forgive me. :D