Alarm System recommendation for Apartment

HB13DISH

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Middle East - Israel
One of the apartments in my bullding had unwanted vistors while my neighbour was out shopping.
They only caused costly damage to the front door, didn't get inside apparently thanks to one of the locks.
So I got thinking that it is about time I had an alarm system.
I would appreciate your recommendation about a cheap and effective type to use, just to scare them off during the daytime. Thanks. :)

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
I bought a Yale wireless system from B+Q when they were on offer at £22. It includes a (bloody loud) siren for the outdoor, two wireless door/window magnet switches, a wireless PIR detector and a key fob. It even included all the batteries, a fivers worth on their own.

A doddle to set up, and could be upgraded to any number of attachments including wired switches.

There may still be some left in the stores, but they were going like hotcakes before Christmas.

HB13DISH

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Middle East - Israel
Thanks Channel Hopper for your input.
I had a look at the Yale website. Can you please let me know which system model number B&Q had, as there are several options, or the nearest that is shown in the link below:
_http://shop.yale.co.uk/acatalog/alarms.htm

Thanks. :)

chris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TalkTalk TV
My Location
Worksop UK
Screwfix do a nice kit for £99

_http://www.screwfix.com/prods/23113/Security/Alarms/Intruder-Alarm-Kits/Intruder-Alarm-G4-6-Zone

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No satellite stuff for the moment (aside from a 43cm minidish that was on the house already), Samsung SyncMaster T27B550 Smart TV & Monitor, and a few computers...
My Location
Near Pontop Pike, Co. Durham
Personally I'd make my own using a car alarm and a 12v PSU of somesort, attach it to the door on the inside and any shocks would set it off, and be quite deafening to any intruders, plus as it's remote'll be a keyfob it'll be totally wireless to operate... :D

But that's just my opinion and daft mind at work... :D

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
HB13DISH said:
Thanks Channel Hopper for your input.
I had a look at the Yale website. Can you please let me know which system model number B&Q had, as there are several options, or the nearest that is shown in the link below:
_http://shop.yale.co.uk/acatalog/alarms.htm

Thanks. :)

Looked very much like this one

_http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Yale-Keyfob-Operated-Alarm-System-Brand-New-in-Box_W0QQitemZ300213964682QQihZ020QQcategoryZ41969QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I think it was the HSA 3200 or 3300

http://shop.yale.co.uk/acatalog/Wirefree_Alarms_3000.html

at bottom of page (but Yale claim a second alarm in the box)

A number of them have exceeded the original retail price though.

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
I don't know what part of Israel you live in HB but all the apartments I have ever visited in Haifa, Beer-sheva, Eilat TelAviv have all had sheet steel doors which are plastic coated to make them look like wood grain, the only way in then would be a blow torch or drop from the roof onto the balcony from a rope. They certainly would not be able to kick it in as the frame is also metal

T_G

The Consumate Dreamer
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1 GigaBlue Quad plus, 1 Dreambox 5620, MOTECK SG2100A DISEqC Motor, 120 cm noname offset dish, Humax 95 cm offset dish and a few UK digiboxes.
My Location
Somewhere where the Sauer is Kraut and the Wurst is Brat
Yeah, good old Pladelet. But an alarm might scare them off before they start messing with the lock. Also, they might come through the window, as they are never as secured as the front doors.

HB13DISH

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Middle East - Israel
Topper said:
I don't know what part of Israel you live in HB but all the apartments I have ever visited in Haifa, Beer-sheva, Eilat TelAviv have all had sheet steel doors which are plastic coated to make them look like wood grain, the only way in then would be a blow torch or drop from the roof onto the balcony from a rope. They certainly would not be able to kick it in as the frame is also metal

All the apartments in my building have this kind of doors, but they are not as safe as they used to be in the past. Thieves have also their countermeasure techniques to help them to get in, even in broad daylight.