Aligning Dish to Atlantic Bird 2 at 8°West Help?

netwhizkid

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
PACE Sky+ HD box, PACE DS440NB Sky Digibox, Technomate 6900HD Super combo+, 1 Metre Dish motorised from 45W to 30E. Panasonic TX-P50G10B 50" Plasma with RTÉ Saorview and UK Freesat.
My Location
SW Ireland
Hello,

I am currently trying to align a satellite to Atlantic Bird 2 at 8°West and so far am having no luck. I have one dish already aligned to it it so reception of it is no problem where I live and there are no obstacles (eg. high trees) in the way either.

I have entered three frequencies into my Satlook Micro+ (recent purchase) and am still having no luck. I updated the firmware etc but emitor do not include the frequencies for it in their downloads unlike the likes of Horizon where you can download a frequency for every satellite available or write your own.

I am able to pre-program frequencies into the Satlook Micro+ but this hasn’t helped. Two years ago I could pick up Telecom 2D as easily as Astra 28 °East with my yellow brick meter but Telecom 2D has since being retired except for feeds and Atlantic Bird 2 seems notoriously hard to hit. I am using an 80cms lidl Dish (last September special) and a 0.6dB dual feed LNB.

Would any one have any pointers for me, I need to align the dish for a friend who lives in the middle of nowhere and wants to use it for SkyDSL one-way satellite internet as there is no DSL or wireless broadband available where he lives.

Any advice or help would be majorly appreciated :)

R

Rd100

A 80cm dish if more than enuf.
sky dsl use 11.222v & 11.261v & 12.524v there are also FTA tv channels on 12566 V

netwhizkid said:
Hello,

I am currently trying to align a satellite to Atlantic Bird 2 at 8°West and so far am having no luck. I have one dish already aligned to it it so reception of it is no problem where I live and there are no obstacles (eg. high trees) in the way either.

I have entered three frequencies into my Satlook Micro+ (recent purchase) and am still having no luck. I updated the firmware etc but emitor do not include the frequencies for it in their downloads unlike the likes of Horizon where you can download a frequency for every satellite available or write your own.

I am able to pre-program frequencies into the Satlook Micro+ but this hasn’t helped. Two years ago I could pick up Telecom 2D as easily as Astra 28 °East with my yellow brick meter but Telecom 2D has since being retired except for feeds and Atlantic Bird 2 seems notoriously hard to hit. I am using an 80cms lidl Dish (last September special) and a 0.6dB dual feed LNB.

Would any one have any pointers for me, I need to align the dish for a friend who lives in the middle of nowhere and wants to use it for SkyDSL one-way satellite internet as there is no DSL or wireless broadband available where he lives.

Any advice or help would be majorly appreciated :)

Robxxx7

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Shuttle PC 2.8ghz
Sky Star 2
80cm Dish and Moteck SG2100
My Location
Co.Kerry Long 9.90 W Lat 52.11 N
Hi Netwhizzkid, i'm in the same neck of the woods as yourself, What i did was use a program called GorbTrack(assuming you have the correct elevation etc for your dish) Use Gorbtrack, select your location and the satellite (Atlantic Bird 2) and then it will tell you when the sun is in the same location as the satellite ...so you then just need to point the dish in the direction of the sun .... Just had a quick check on my Gorbtrack and the sun should be in the same direction as Atlantic Bird 2 at 13:31 about now :)

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
5W will have almost exactly the same elevation as 8W and still has analogue channels on it (12.5 - 12.7 GHz)

I would grab a really old analogue receiver and scan using that to get the rough position) 8 West should be a doddle to find after that using the
skyDSL unit

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No satellite stuff for the moment (aside from a 43cm minidish that was on the house already), Samsung SyncMaster T27B550 Smart TV & Monitor, and a few computers...
My Location
Near Pontop Pike, Co. Durham
5w and 8w are easy to find with an analogue box as CH says, I actually confused the two when I tried to get 5w with my Porty dish indoors, and it was a really small movement to get between the two... :D

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
The Micro plus should have NIT, so should recognise the satellite, providing you set a frequency with network information http://www.lyngsat.com/8west.html

5W is as CH says, very close, so find one and you've got the other.

http://www.lyngsat.com/ab3.html

netwhizkid

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
PACE Sky+ HD box, PACE DS440NB Sky Digibox, Technomate 6900HD Super combo+, 1 Metre Dish motorised from 45W to 30E. Panasonic TX-P50G10B 50" Plasma with RTÉ Saorview and UK Freesat.
My Location
SW Ireland
Thanks for all the help fellas, I never did manage to align it on my own Lidl 80cms dish with dual output 0.6dB LNB. (not that it matters as I was only testing it on that dish).

However SkyDSL had supplied a high quality dish, mount and 0.3dB LNB for my friend and he is pretty chuffed at having gone from 26.5kbps to 2mbps download this evening, The Satlook Micro+ worked a treat and I had the dish aligned in about 15mins. The 0.3dB LNB seems to be critical for SkyDSL and I use a 0.3dB on my own Channel Master 80cms Dish.

Once again thanks for all the helps people, it was truly invaluable. :-worship