Advice Needed Allignment issue

ANTHONY RIMMINGTON

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm dish USALS set up
My Location
Leicester
Hi,
I am having problems setting up my system. Im fairly clued up on what to do, but think I need some more advise.
I have an 80cm motorised dish setup, using USALS and have set it up correctly as far as I can tell.
My Lat and Long is in correctly, as is azimuth/elevation etc.
The ZERO degrees point for the motor is set to due south, and I am using thor 0.8 as my guide.
USALS gets thor 0.8 with a signal strength of around 70-75 and I can go to hotbird at 13, and get a similar SNR.
After that not much at all.
Astra 19.2 drops to around 45-50 SNR and from then on nothing...inc 28.2.
Some advise would be very welcome.
Thanks

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Question everything: An all too common error is to set the Motor bracket using the wrong scale.

Use ONLY the Latitude scale on the Motor (There should be a Latitude scale on one side of the bracket and an "Elevation" scale on the other side) and set it to your Latitude ie approx 52.5

Then set the Dish bracket to an initial value of around 24.

What happens is people set the Motor using either a Latitude figure against the Elevation scale, or they calculate the Motor Elevation using the relevant table and then set that figure against the Latitude scale. Either way, it means that although you can still align the dish for Satellites around the centre of the arc, it will not track properly elsewhere.

Please provide some pics so we can see what's occurring. Albeit, the results you describe tend to lean towards the issue I mentioned above.

satelliteman

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Northants, Midlands UK & Lanzarote, Canary Islands
Yes, not tracking correctly probably due to as mentioned above. Set the polar angle to Latitude scale or use an angle finder to set correctly.