Am I pointing at Hotbird e13

flambo

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Hotbird
My Location
Herts
This is my first ever experience installing a satellite dish, so please bear with me.

Need to point to Hotbird E13, I have checked what my Azimuth, Elevation and skew should be in relation to where I am and set the dish accordingly. Have a great signal with my receiver box recording around 90 to 98% signal strength and quality. Also, on an auto search the receiver box has picked up around 533 TV channels and around 130 odd radio channels.

Now I am sure I am pointing at Hotbird e13, but how do I know for sure?

I would perhaps normally be convinced all was ok but this is a TV Globo receiver and channel 1 (TV Globo) keeps saying ‘No satellite signal received’ and TV Globo say the problem is that the dish is pointing in the wrong direction. The receiver has come with a card but it is yet to be activated, but TV Globo says they can do this once the satellite direction problem is fixed.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Can you pick ANY channels up? If so list a few of them and we will tell you which sat you are pointing at.

flambo

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Hotbird
My Location
Herts
This may not be very useful now, but will need to check tomorrow when I'm sitting in front of the box - remember seeing lots of MTV channels for different countries, Discovery, BBC world, Euronews, Al jazzera.....

Does that help?

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
TM6800HD, TM1000, TM600 Linux,TM2200 motor, Channel Master 1.2m motorised, TD110 dish Meter=Satlook Micro+G2 NIT
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
No help at all:)

Those channels are very common, and exists on loads of other satellites.

If you listed the frequencies as well alongside then they would be of use.

I have a feeling that you may be on 19.2E, if it's not 13E, as they are so close.

Robbo:)

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Unfortunately those channels are on more than one satellite, they are certainly on Astra 19.2, only 6 degrees away. If you can list some more channels we can check for sure. You can find the channel lists for Hotbird at _http://www.lyngsat.com/hotbird.html and Astra 19.2 at _http://www.lyngsat.com/astra19.html

flambo

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Hotbird
My Location
Herts
Thanks for the replies, shall look for more distinct channels tomorrow as well as check against the URL's given.

Just so when I next reply you have all the info, how exactly do I find the frequences of the channels I am on?

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Don't know that receiver I'm afraid, but what you can do is select a frequency in the transponder scan menu and see if the results tie up with the one for Astra 19.2 or Hotbird 13 E. :)

somebodyelse

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
90 cm dish
My Location
SW London
Can I suggest that you list some of the regionally specific channels?
I was trying to make sure what satellite I was watching, and once I found quite a few NRK (Norwegian) channels, I searched Lyngsat, and confirmed which satellite they broadcast on quite easily.

This is probably well known but just in case it helps anyone new (like me!), you can enter the following search string into Google: site:_www.lyngsat.com NRK and that searches for all occurrences on the site of "NRK". Change the ending to what channel you are interested in, and you'll see quite easily what satellites Lyngsat connects with that search item.

(in the case of NRK, it showed just two satellites as possibilities: Thor & Sirius. Repeated the search using a different channel, and narrowed it down to Thor being the sat I was looking at).

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
TM6800HD, TM1000, TM600 Linux,TM2200 motor, Channel Master 1.2m motorised, TD110 dish Meter=Satlook Micro+G2 NIT
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
flambo said:
Thanks for the replies, shall look for more distinct channels tomorrow as well as check against the URL's given.

Just so when I next reply you have all the info, how exactly do I find the frequences of the channels I am on?

If you can't work out how, try and pick some channels that are a bit more obscure, or unique. On 19E you have "Premiere Direkt portal" it is ONLY on 19.2E, on Hotbird you have "Multivision promo" and its only found there.

flambo

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Hotbird
My Location
Herts
Ok, have not had any luck finding either of those channels mentioned above.

Here is a list of a few I can find...

EinsExtra
Arte
Phoenix
Ehs
TV Canaria
NRJ Paris
Demain TV
CubaVision
Reoerecord
BFM TV
Extremadura TV

Thanks,

Mickha

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.2M Channel Master, 1224 motor, VU+ Duo 2
My Location
North West
Hi flambo,
all hotbird channels can be found here:
_http://www.lyngsat.com/hotbird.html
If you post some frequency details it will be easier to work out which satellite you're on.
The only listing for Extremadura TV I can find is on Astra 1 19.2E.

jocktrucker

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
SKY HD, TM6900HDsupercombo, Manhattan xtcm, motorised 90cm 53e to 45w, home cinema system.
My Location
EDINBURGH
yes, you are on 13E hotbird.

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
jocktrucker said:
yes, you are on 13E hotbird.

No he is not!:)

he is most definitely on 19.2E Astra, it is the ONLY satellite that all those channels appear on.

So all you have to do flambo, is to swivel the dish right a little bit and up a touch and you should be there. (from behind dish:-rofl2)
Robbo:)

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Robbo71 said:
So all you have to do flambo, is to swivel the dish right a little bit and up a touch and you should be there.

Thats as seen from BEHIND the dish - its to the LEFT and up a fraction from in front of the dish.

flambo

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Hotbird
My Location
Herts
Everyone..... Its done!!!!!

Looks like I was on Astra.

Thanks all for the help, it was much appreciated.

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
Well done;)

Enjoy.:)