American & Int'l channels via Satellite

venusflygirl

Reaction score
Hello,

I am completely clueless about how Satellite tv works, but I've been told that it is possible to access certain international channels with certain satellite systems. How does this work and what would I need for this?

I am particularly interested in U.S. and Canadian Channels, ie: NBC, FOX, HBO, US MTV, etc.. Can these channels be accessed in the UK?
Cheers,

Vanessa

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
venusflygirl said:
Hello,

I am completely clueless about how Satellite tv works, but I've been told that it is possible to access certain international channels with certain satellite systems. How does this work and what would I need for this?

I am particularly interested in U.S. and Canadian Channels, ie: NBC, FOX, HBO, US MTV, etc.. Can these channels be accessed in the UK?
Cheers,

Vanessa

HBO, HBO2 available on 19.2E, FOX on 13E. Different channels will require slightly different solutions. FOX can be done without subscription, though you would need some dodgy kit. HBO may need a subscription (UPC Direct/Cryptoworks). Not sure at all if the content would be the same as the US though!

STICK

Likvid

ASBO Club Member - Persona non grata
Reaction score
My Location
Stockholm, Sweden
No you can't receive real US TV Cable channels like HBO, Cinemax, Showtime, you have to reach the Galaxy satellites which are way too far away for Europe, the elevation for the dish would be negative, eg impossible.

There is one channel AFRTS, American Forces, but it's encrypted and impossible to get it authorized for a private household to receive.

The HBO channels on 19,2 E is not the same as the U.S channels, it's modified for our continent.