American TV in (Europe) Sweden?

N

nic_turbo

Is there any way to get American satellite TV like (Direct TV) in Europe? I just moved back to Stockholm Sweden from Dallas, Texas. I have a Direct TV dish from the U.S. but I'm sure that it will not work in Europe.

I'm interested in channels like ESPN, NBC, ABC.

I have heard that there is a network called the (AFN) Armed Forces Network, that might broad cat some of this stuff? But can this be viewed by people not with the U.S. Armed forces?

Are there other options?

Thank You for any answers.

Nic.

2old4this

Honorary Admin
Reaction score
My Location
Cloud Cuckoo Land
A lot of the American (mainly-)news networks are carried (CNN, Fox, NBC, CNBC..) and a few others (eg Fox Sports) but...
(a) some of them are on sats that are fairly difficult to reach such as the Panamsats at 43 & 45west.
(:cool: some of them are in NTSC which is not a broadcast standard used in Europe or Scandanavia ans so requires a multi-format receiver and TV to watch
(c) some of them are encrypted so you'd either need a subscription to the particular national package that happens to be carrying them or else you'd need to use a pirate/hobby card (I won't go into all the details in this post, but read elsewhere on this board).

To check out which channels are where and under which systems (if any)) they are encrypted, go to Lyngsat.
Lyngsat main site: http://ww.lyngsat.com
Then click on the "sat address" link at bottom left area of the main page.

2old

N

nic_turbo

Thanks! I will look into this. How much would a good package run me with all the hardware that I need (Dish etc)?

Thank you very much,

Nic in Stockholm

2old4this

Honorary Admin
Reaction score
My Location
Cloud Cuckoo Land
your problem will be that you can't get the package you (probably) want. In Europe, every country is a different market. If for example FOX is carried on a Spanish package, you need to be a resident of Spain to even be allowed to purchase a subscription. You therefore are restricted to whatever your local Swedish provider carries if you want to go the legal route.
In general, a basic digital receiver and decryption module (CAM), dish and fitting will cost somewhere around 600 Euros and a no-frills subscription say 25 Euros per month. But be aware these costs vary from country to country, provider to provider. And there are more flavours of digital receiver these days than icecream, each catering to different needs. It's a complex picture when you start digging into it...

2old

N

nic_turbo

I dont think I will stay legal in all aspects after looking at it. I have a TV that can hadle the NTSC. I have heard that Sweden (Stockholm) is to far North to get any good satellites? I'm not really sure about that after looking at some Swedish satellite sites.

But I going to see if the Panamsats might be an option for me trying to get some U.S. networks.

Is there anything else to consider?

Thanks, Nic

2old4this

Honorary Admin
Reaction score
My Location
Cloud Cuckoo Land
(see also my answer to your list-of-sats post in this forum)
Stockholm is at latitude 59.3, longitude 7 degrees.
At that location you can expect to receive sats from about 35west to 68east (these being those that are at elevation 10 degrees or higher frokm your location).
This assumes you have clear line of sight i.e. no buildings/etc in the way.

In that range there are most certainly a whole range of very interesting sats, but not the most westerly ones that typcially carry the live news feeds from the US.

Note however that the 43w panamsat which does carry Fox sports and some CBS feeds/etc all unencrypted is at 6 degrees elevation from your location. This is very low, but with a perfectly clear line of sight, reasonable weather conditions and a very good dish you may be able to get it.

2old