Amstrad 1512/1640 etc

skyeliner

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky+ and Sky throughout house. Computer system AMD 3200.WinXP 250Gig h/d
My Location
Isle of Skye Scotland
hi to you all and greetings from the Isle of Skye.
I have an Amstrad 1512 still and switch it on from time to time just to hear it clucking away like a hen! I also have a 1640 DD and a 1640 SD with a 20mg hard drive - all working the last time I tried.
I am now into installing Sky Freesat for a lot of old dears who cannot affford a monthly subscription but would like the clarity of digital signals - and I am back to using Amstrad DRX400 digiboxes - which in the main are sleek to look at and also seem fairly trouble-free.
All this started off as a w/e hobby but folks got to know about it locally and they want it!
I have now been asked to put together a quote for a small guest house which wants to put Sky in all the rooms with independent viewing. Not only that but the Guest house is split over 3 buildings, 6 rooms, 6 rooms and 4 rooms - all within 100 yards of each other. The 4 roomed one I can easily do with a quad and 4 boxes but the 6 rooms one leaves me baffled as I hear of head-end amps/multiswitches /quattro LNB's etc.
If I could get hold of a schematic of how these things are cabled I am sure I could follow it logically but do I need another 12 digiboxes? At the moment, i have to put together a quote so that the owners can see if a complete system can be fitted into their budget and I dont want to include 16 boxes if I can get away with 1.
How do Sky do their Hotel systems with a single LNB and one receiver?
Any ideas?

skyeliner - have moved your query to the Sky tech section where it will have a better chance of being seen - Llew

spiney

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Pace 2200 Sky digibox with ftv card, Comag SL65 FTA sat receiver, 40cm Sky minidish, Setpal terrestrial receiver (for free uk tv only!).
My Location
Midlands
Yeah, the PCW1512 was great, as per above thread.

For multiple sat receivers, off 1 dish, you may need a mutiswitch system (or several, if different buildings). See my guide, below, this website, in "how to ...".

spiney

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Pace 2200 Sky digibox with ftv card, Comag SL65 FTA sat receiver, 40cm Sky minidish, Setpal terrestrial receiver (for free uk tv only!).
My Location
Midlands
But, for a maximimum of 6 receivers, per building, you're probably better off with 1 dish per building, and multi-ouput lnbs (you can get one with 8 outputs, I don't know about 6!).

Yes, you'll probably have to buy that many digiboxes, the "other way" is only feasible on very large (hotel) systems.

For 2nd hand Sky receivers, see www.dcsat.com . Obviously there's also other sellers, ebay, etc.

Note that receivers without viewing cards won't get most ITV channels, as these are currently encrypted. Phone Sky to ask about card terms and conditions.