An idiots guide to DVB ?

Shaygate

Reaction score
Hi Gents,

Having just subscribed to Silvermeads satellite Broadband service and having 'discovered' as a bonus i can get Digital TV on my PC now, I have just had a rude awakening as to how much i don't know about satellites :-(

I was wondering if anybody could reccomend or steer me towards an idiots guide to DVB and satellites in general, i mean i have no clue what DisQ, transponders, PID etc. etc. do or mean ! :-) and rather than bother you all with silly questions i thought I would do some serious reading.

Ian

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Haven't seen a guide as such Ian, but a lot of the information is here in various forums and common to PCI cards and stand alone receivers.

Do I take it that you have a Skystar2 and are pointing at Astra 19.2? If so, download yourself a copy of MyTheatre 2.76 (If you are running XP) and see what you can see on Astra, there are a couple of threads regarding the use of the softcam.

Shaygate

Reaction score
rolfw said:
Do I take it that you have a Skystar2 and are pointing at Astra 19.2? If so, download yourself a copy of MyTheatre 2.76 (If you are running XP) and see what you can see on Astra, there are a couple of threads regarding the use of the softcam.

Hi Rolf

Thanks for the reply, I'm actualy running Win ME, Silvermead supply a copy of TV4PC but I couldn't get it to work so I hunted around and downloaded a copy of ProgDVB which does work. You are right I am using my Sky mini dish and have managed to scan the Astra satellite and Eurobird; with this dish and its alignment should I be able to receive a signal from any others ? of course the majority of the channels I can see are encrypted but I have been having fun just 'exploring' as it were. Of course I wouldn't dream of asking if there is a way of decrypting the encrypted ;)

Regards

Ian

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
If you have ProgDVB up and running Ian, you almost have it licked. All you have to do is install Yankse into the ProgDVB route directory and add a softcam key to the same directory and you are up and running,

robsven

Reaction score
help me please
i got a skystar2 card and progdvb installed
i also got yankse installed
i converted a hex-file to softcam.key file
i reread the channel-list
but i can't see the crypted channels i can only see non-crypted channels

yours cincerly robsven

K

kalamar

If you also put Fenrir in the same directory as Yankse it will generate a "nagra.key" file that Yankse will use. This has lately become very complicated,as many versions of Yankse are out there. It all depends on what version you are using, my softcam.key does not even contain any public keys, it only contains the MCEM data and never changes. My Yankse gets its kays from nagra.key file and this is autorolled and generated by Fenrir. Using older versions of Yankse say.. 1.09 or so ,you do not need any softcam.key file if you have Fenrir installed too,it will operate completely and full autoroll from the nagra.key file. If you need a complete breakdown of this I can provide more info. In my setup, Yankse version 1.2.3 I must only have MCEM data in the softcam.key file, If public keys are also present in softcam.key it will not autoroll and it will confuse Yankse but if the automaticly generated nagra.key file is present with the keys everything is fine. I hope this is not too confusing !
But it does work like a charm when set up properly.

robsven

Reaction score
and this fenrir plugin works without softcam.key file

and autoupdates that would be great :-)

snoopdujour

Reaction score
I am having some difficulty with my Vision PCI card and D*sh Satellite.
I am able to see and hear the ALOCK (adult lock) channel, but am not able to view any of the encrypted channels.
I am using Fenrir 1.05.2 Nagra with Caid1800.dll, and Yankse1.31 (NO softcam.key file.)
Fenrir is passing the keys to nagra.key, and I can see the code in Yankse, but I don't get anything but the 'previews'
HELP!

ag10

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-
My Location
-
kalamar said:
If you also put Fenrir in the same directory as Yankse it will generate a "nagra.key" file that Yankse will use. This has lately become very complicated,as many versions of Yankse are out there. It all depends on what version you are using, my softcam.key does not even contain any public keys, it only contains the MCEM data and never changes. My Yankse gets its kays from nagra.key file and this is autorolled and generated by Fenrir. Using older versions of Yankse say.. 1.09 or so ,you do not need any softcam.key file if you have Fenrir installed too,it will operate completely and full autoroll from the nagra.key file. If you need a complete breakdown of this I can provide more info. In my setup, Yankse version 1.2.3 I must only have MCEM data in the softcam.key file, If public keys are also present in softcam.key it will not autoroll and it will confuse Yankse but if the automaticly generated nagra.key file is present with the keys everything is fine. I hope this is not too confusing !
But it does work like a charm when set up properly.

Ooh er! I wonder what all that meant? Before I strain my brain cell trying to work it out - does it get you anything more than s2emu and the latest softcam.key???

G

guest user

Silvermeads satellite Broadband is on Astra2 I think and you will not be able to get much apart from the fta channels

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
Check the dates of these postings fellas. Most of these guys are probably senile by now!

ag10

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-
My Location
-
Oh yeah!
Well, looks like my remaining brain cell isn't up to much then....