analogue channels

L

Lenina

I dont have any kind of satellite system yet and am trying to figure out what I need to get clear French channels, pref TF1&2, France 2&3 etc, (and some Spanish ones), using a motorised dish. The French ones only seem to be clear in analogue. Should i get a combined analogue/digital receiver such as echostar 3600, or separate receivers + secam-pal box, or do i need analogue at all, or wot??
any help appreciated

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
really depends on how much other programming you require. If you would be happy with the main French channels, then go the analogue route and point your dish at 5E. If you have a European TV it may even handle the SECAM picture, if not it will be black and white on all but La Cinquiemme, or France 5, can never remember which one is which.

The above route would probably cost you little more than £80 to set up, as you can buy good analogue receivers for next to nothing..

Rolf

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
[updated:LAST EDITED ON 20-Jul-02 AT 01:28 PM (GMT)]Errr

Wont get a lot of French at 5E. Telecom bird at 5W has a number of French TV and a few radio stations on it (TV5 is the PAL transmission)

Everybody suggested they were to be turned off a year ago but it seems that the smae problems have plagued French broadcasters as with the Germans, ie not evryone wants to pay for TV, so theyve stayed longer than they should

As Rolf says its a low risk option in terms of pricing, bear in mond though that the wall that the dish is bolted to may not be suitable to swing over to the East when you switch to digital, so you may end up with a few additional holes

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
OOPS, sorry got my East and West muddled. :) :)

Rolf