Analogue satellite system marketed by German Supermarket Lidl (in Ireland)

JFB

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
Ireland
I have a Sky digital satellite system but recently bought an analogue system from the Lidl supermarket chain. Couldn't resist the price at 57 euro for the lot, dish, lnb, cables, connectors, receiver and remote. Iv'e no idea who made the receiver, it goes by the name 'SR 1902 VC'. I suspect that you get what you pay for in such things but I was wondering if it is possible to become a subscriber to 'coded' channels using this equipment?
I am pointed at Astra 19.2E at the moment and have about 38 German language channels plus CNBC and CNN.
Any ideas?

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Nothing to subscribe to there JFB and very few elsewhere. You should be able to find 40 or so analogue channels on 19.2 East though, see http://www.lyngsat.com/astra19.shtml also, you can get a few extra digital channels, by connecting the dish to your Sky digibox.

MasterAbacus

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
Yorkshire
Ive got one of these too...a bargin really....But the questions is..the system says its Analogue, But mine came with an Universal LNB, 80cm dish, and the box picks up all the free to air stuff... Im in the process of adding a motor, or couple of LNB`s then ill upgrade the reciver....I think its a good nice cheap starting system.....Not many places you can get an 80cm dish, Uni LNB and 50m of cable for £35....

I can see me canceling my $ky subs very soon....

homerhat

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Comag SL55 receiver, Worldsat MM1000A motor, 80cm no name dish, Truman V-Box II(SuperJack EZ-6000 clone) positioner
My Location
West Sussex
I've also got one of these but I can't get it to work. It's probably something simple that I'm missing.

The receiver is connected to the TV via scart and to the LNB via the included coax cable (RG59, I think)

When I switch the receiver on, the TV changes automatically to the AV channel with a blue background.
I set the receiver on the pre-programmed channel 1, which is ARD.

To test the system before fitting the dish to the house wall, I had it on a swivel chair pointing South and very slowly turned it towards East to scan for channels on 19.2E or 13E.
However all I get is still the blue backdground.
I checked the cable and it is properly fitted.
Any ideas, however simple they are?

Thanks.

MasterAbacus said:
Ive got one of these too...a bargin really....But the questions is..the system says its Analogue, But mine came with an Universal LNB, 80cm dish, and the box picks up all the free to air stuff... Im in the process of adding a motor, or couple of LNB`s then ill upgrade the reciver....I think its a good nice cheap starting system.....Not many places you can get an 80cm dish, Uni LNB and 50m of cable for £35....

I can see me canceling my $ky subs very soon....

G

guest user

homerhat said:
I've also got one of these but I can't get it to work. It's probably something simple that I'm missing.

The receiver is connected to the TV via scart and to the LNB via the included coax cable (RG59, I think)

When I switch the receiver on, the TV changes automatically to the AV channel with a blue background.

To test the system before fitting the dish to the house wall, I had it on a swivel chair pointing South and very slowly turned it towards East to scan for channels on 19.2E or 13E.

Thanks.

Have you checked the elevation is 30-31 degress? and theres no trees or anything in the way of the dish

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Also the elevation can be deceptive, because the LNb is offset, the dish face will only tilt back a small degree from the vertical.

Also worth going into the LNB menu and checking that the power is on and a universal is selected. A blue screen normally denotes no signal whatsoever.

homerhat

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Comag SL55 receiver, Worldsat MM1000A motor, 80cm no name dish, Truman V-Box II(SuperJack EZ-6000 clone) positioner
My Location
West Sussex
I did try placing the dish at different angles but did not measure the elevation with precision.
But shouldn't I get some sort of signal even if weak on the TV? All I get is blue background on the TV and no sign of recepiont at all!

Cheers.

modern said:
Have you checked the elevation is 30-31 degress? and theres no trees or anything in the way of the dish

homerhat

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
West Sussex
There's no options menu on this particular receiver. The only thing you can do is program channels on the small display on the receiver itself.

If I am not getting any signal, and apart from the LNB or receiver being faulty, is there anything else I can check.
As far as I know, the cable connection between the receiver and LNB is fine and using a multimeter on the F connector on the LNB side, I get a reading of about 18.70 volts.

Even if I'm not pointing the dish exactly at 19.2E and at the exact right elevation, shouldn't I still get some faint signal on the TV rather than just the blue background?

Thanks for your help.

rolfw said:
Also the elevation can be deceptive, because the LNb is offset, the dish face will only tilt back a small degree from the vertical.

Also worth going into the LNB menu and checking that the power is on and a universal is selected. A blue screen normally denotes no signal whatsoever.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Have a look in the instruction book and see what it suggests for setting up the LNB, it would be very unusual if you cannot change certain details, there must be some setup options, even if they are not on screen.

PS. If you are measuring 18 ish volts at the LNB, this is for Horizontal channels, have a look here http://www.lyngsat.com/astra19.shtml and tune to an analogue channel which is listed, can't see ARD in the analogue section.

homerhat

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
West Sussex
According to the manual I can use the setup for:
Changing the Vertical or Horizontal Polarization Reception
Changing the Video Frequency
Changing the Audio Frequency
Setting/Activating the 22KHz Switching Signal
Activating the DiSEqC Function

Is any of the above to do with the LNB?

The receiver came pre-programmed with channels from different satellites. The manual recommended tuning to either ARD or ZDF.
I tried both but still only the blue background.

rolfw said:
Have a look in the instruction book and see what it suggests for setting up the LNB, it would be very unusual if you cannot change certain details, there must be some setup options, even if they are not on screen.

PS. If you are measuring 18 ish volts at the LNB, this is for Horizontal channels, have a look here http://www.lyngsat.com/astra19.shtml and tune to an analogue channel which is listed, can't see ARD in the analogue section.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
All of the following are direct LNB settings and will affect a single universal LNB.

Changing the Vertical or Horizontal Polarization Reception
Changing the Video Frequency
Changing the Audio Frequency
Setting/Activating the 22KHz Switching Signal

Make sure that the 22Khz switch is set to Auto or Off

Try ZDF again, see if it is at these settings Frequency 10964 Polarisation Horizontal

JFB

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
Ireland
homerhat said:

Thanks.

I'm no expert but the only time I have got a blue screen is when the scart wasn't properly connected. A poor signal or faults between the lnb and the receiver don't, from my experience, result in a blue screen on the telly.

MasterAbacus

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
Yorkshire
Mine was set-up and worked first time, now got s sat meter off ebay for a fiver, now can point to all sats easily...

Just to add, my dvd had a blue screen, i found it was a faulty scart cable...alsi if you have more than one scart socet on yt tv...might be a good idea to try the other

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
You guys could be heading in the right direction, must say I hadn't considered a scart fault. Don't think that Homerhat is seeing another unit, but the faulty lead is plausible and of course easy to check.

Does it have an RF output to try?

homerhat

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
West Sussex
Thank you guys for your replies.

rolfw
The pre-programmed ZDF channel is set to 1214, which as I understand it is the 10964 frequency converted to a 4 digit frequency.
I tried you suggestion and programmed another channel with Vertical Polarization and Low Band reception with a video frequency of 1214.
But still nothing.

JFB, MasterAbacus & rolfw

The scart lead and scart socket on the TV are OK as they work fine with the VCR.

When I turn the receiver on the TV automatically changes to the AV channel(I tried both AV1 & AV2) with a blue background. The receiver's remote control works fine and I can use the mute and volume buttons to affect to the sound on the TV. Does this mean the scart connection between the receiver and TV is fine?

Even if the receiver is not connected to the LNB should I get the blue screen?

The receiver only has scart sockets, one for the TV and the other for the VCR.

Anything else I can try?

Thank you again.

rolfw said:
You guys could be heading in the right direction, must say I hadn't considered a scart fault. Don't think that Homerhat is seeing another unit, but the faulty lead is plausible and of course easy to check.

Does it have an RF output to try?

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
The polarisation should be Horizontal, the frequency is correct, but most important, make sure that the 22Khz is off, then you are sure that you are in low band.

homerhat

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
West Sussex
Just to let you all know that I've got the system working.
It was my ignorance that was to blame. I didn't know that the alignment
had to be exact.

Thank you for help again.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Glad to hear that you got it going in the end homerhat, one good thing though, you'll know how to to do it quickly next time. :)

JFB

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
Ireland
rolfw said:
Nothing to subscribe to there JFB and very few elsewhere. You should be able to find 40 or so analogue channels on 19.2 East though, see http://www.lyngsat.com/astra19.shtml also, you can get a few extra digital channels, by connecting the dish to your Sky digibox.

A friend of mine who spends quite a lot of time in Germany recognised many of the channel offerings from Astra 19.2 E. He said that for some films, originally in English but dubbed into German, the English Language soundtrack is sometimes available on a different audio frequency. His German friends have found this frequency for him while watching TV in Germany. I have followed the instructions in the manual for scanning through the audio frequencies in sterio and mono for other languages, for a variety of American dubbed films, but could not find any english soundtrack. Am I waisting my time looking for this facility with an analogue receiver.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
There are a few of the Digital Premiere package films with English soundtracks (not many though), but most of the analogue tracks are German only.