Analogue to digital problem

bluestar

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Analogue Astra dish with grundig analogue receiver, lost my german euosport free channel now its gone digital.
My Location
west london
Hi everyone I am a new member so not used this site before.

I was getting Eurosport ( German FTA ) channel but now its gone digital, so i removed my grundig GRD200 22Khz receiver ( analogue) and connected a Sky HD+ receiver ( given to me for nothing and works fine with on my Freesat dish) to my old Sky analogue dish Astra 19.2 E which has a universal LNB, then tried to add channel using "add channels" by inputting Freq 12226, sym rate 27500, pol H, also requests fec so assumed 2/3, but when i confirmed "select" nothing happens.

So if I go into settings it says there is no signal present and yet dish 1 input is showing 60% signal, if i put back my Grundig receiver back it is still receiving a signal with all channels ( about 50 analogue) but with of coarse no picture but some channels displaying Germen changeover banner to digital.

Any ideas why i can't get the Sky box to work on my old Sky dish???

I would not have thought I would need to move my dish for the digital signals?? or do I?

Also I was considering buying a DVB-S receiver (on my pension money) but can you guys/gals guide me to a good basic digital box, was considering the Ross HD receiver as I see that there are a few HD german channels on FTA via Astra sats and probably more to come, or would i be better with the Philex 28207 RF ( SD)or something similar,
My Tv is a panasonic plasma HD ready with good results from my Humax Foxsat box in HD.

appreciate any help.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
You probably need to change the lnb (the bit on the end of the arm on the dish.

Early analogue installs has single (low) band lnbs fitted, modern digital services use low and high band.

LNB's are cheap as chips, and easy to fit if you have SAFE access to the dish. (Assuming the lnb mount screws havent rusted solid!)

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
Going a long time back when I used a Digibox to look at some channels on 13E I had to change the default frequency. I don't remember why or what to but it wouldn't work otherwise.

it may have been just to scan the transponder I wanted as leaving the default frequency changed would cause problems when going back to 28E.

nelson_b

Contributor
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Strong 4375 driving a 2.4 m Channel Master dual focus offset + Invcom Quad C120 K/U l.n.b. + BSC 421 and Zinwell C band l.n.b.,s - DR HD F15 - TM5302 - Octagon SX88+Optima - GT Media V7 - HD receivers. + other dishes currently in use - Antique 3.0 m Prodelin P.F. - Channel Master 1.8 m offset - Channel Master. 1.2 m.
My Location
North West Yorkshire - near Lancashire & Cumbria borders.
bluestar said:
Sky analogue dish Astra 19.2 E which has a universal LNB, then tried to add channel using "add channels" by inputting Freq 12226, sym rate 27500, pol H, also requests fec so assumed 2/3, but when i confirmed "select" nothing happens.

hi - flysat / lingsat list the f.e.c. as 3/4 --

regards ---

bluestar

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Analogue Astra dish with grundig analogue receiver, lost my german euosport free channel now its gone digital.
My Location
west london
Thanks Analoguesat, Paul R, and Nelson-b for your info,

firstly i will get the ladder out the weekend and have a closer look at what is written on the old Sky analogue dish LNB, as mentioned previously the LNB says its a UNIVERSAL one but are you saying Analoguesat that being a universal one is not always suitable to pick up digital because some universal LNB's are just LOW band only as I assume I need HIGH band LNB for digital??
Regarding changing the default frequency on the Sky HD + box, I assume I did that when I went in on ADD CHANNELS facility on Sky box and changed it to the 12226 freq of Eurosport ( German FTA) and when I failed to achieve any result the box would default back to another frequency ( the same one each time) when I retried ADD CHANNEL again.
where else would I find the default freq on my box?
Finally I did try changing the FEC value each time starting with 1/2, then 2/3 and so forth up to i believe 5/6 so i must have tried 3/4 as you suggest but it seem to make no difference, but will have another dabble with this problem on Sunday and let you guys know what if anything develops.
Can either of you tell me what my OLD ASTRA ANALOGUE dish is pointing (ie what Sat) at, and what is the direction? because its definately pointing at a different angle to the FREESAT dish I have which is I believe 28.2 E, as mentioned earlier it works to the Grundig analogue box but there are no analogue pictures now just empty channels and one showing a test card, so i know the dish and LNB are working OK. I'm puzzled and muddled

thanks once again for your help

cheers bluestar

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
The old dish is pointing at Astra 1 which is at 19E so you are right that it pointing in a slightly different position to that of the dishes for $ly Digital which are pointing at Astra 2 positioned at 28E.

bluestar

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
west london
Thanks PaulR.

I had a look at the LNB this morning and the label says its a Universal, type AUN 12S made by Grundig so how would I know if this is suitable to pick up digital signals as no frequency range is stated? When I bought this dish and LNB and Grundig box second hand many years ago they came from the the same persons set up and they were moving over to Sky digital.

Cheers for now bluestar

Cheers for now bluestar

bluestar

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
west london
Hi sateliteman would you have any knowledge of this type of LNB and if its suitable to receive digital sigs.

Cheers bluestar

Captain Jack

Burnt out human
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
North Somerset
I'd replace it - it's a very old LNB which may struggle with digital signals, despite it being universal. LNBs can be had for a fiver off eBay so just replace it.

bluestar

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
west london
Thanks Captain.

Yeh I reckon your right, can't see any other reason. will replace it

thanks

Bluestar

bluestar

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
west london
Can anyone explain to me what db value signifies on my Grundig Universal LNB with a value of 0.2db and if I am replacing it with a better more sensitive LNB what would this value be (ie less or greater).
I would also like to know what would I need in the way of additional equipment, LNB's,and type of digital reciever etc to continue to receive Astra 19.2E and Astra 13.0E all from the same fixed dish that i have now as i am not sure what i was receiving before under the now shutdown Analogue system, in other words was i receiving Astra 19.2E signals only or was i getting other Astra sats as well?
I thought as i am going to the trouble of changing the LNB and buying a new digi box FTA I may as well get as many FTA channels as possible with a fixed dish setup

Cheers bluestar

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
bluestar said:
Can anyone explain to me what db value signifies on my Grundig Universal LNB with a value of 0.2db and if I am replacing it with a better more sensitive LNB what would this value be (ie less or greater).
I would also like to know what would I need in the way of additional equipment, LNB's,and type of digital reciever etc to continue to receive Astra 19.2E and Astra 13.0E all from the same fixed dish that i have now as i am not sure what i was receiving before under the now shutdown Analogue system, in other words was i receiving Astra 19.2E signals only or was i getting other Astra sats as well?
I thought as i am going to the trouble of changing the LNB and buying a new digi box FTA I may as well get as many FTA channels as possible with a fixed dish setup

Cheers bluestar

0.2dB is the Noise Figure.

At its simplest, the lower the figure, the better the LNB - but the figure is normally the "best effort" over a small part of the Band, so it isn't that easy to compare models: Reputation is a better method. That said, most are claimed as 0.2dB or 0.1dB nowadays.

To get Hotbird @13E and 19.2E (Astra 1) on the same dish, a Monoblock LNB is easiest. Thestandard Monoblock contains two LNBs in one houising, with the heads separated by 6 degrees. There are some others with different spacing and their is now an adjustable one for up to 12 (or it might be 15 ??) degrees separation.

If you want more than two Satellites, then a multi-LNB arm could be used (but these still are only effective over a section of the visible arc.

If you want many Satellites across the arc, then go for a dish of 80-90cm along with a DiSEqC motor.

Modern Digital Receivers can all cope with multi-LNB operation or Motorised operation.

bluestar

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
west london
Thanks Tivu much apreciated for your info.

cheers bluestar