And the fun begins!!!!

Tuga

Reaction score
Hi guys

I finally got my receiver (Manhattan 5500 CI)and my dish (sky 60cm with universal LN:cool:..
I am aiming at Astra 19E, or trying any way…

Of course I couldn’t get anything on my first attempt…

First I can’t even get a signal on my receiver…all I get is a bit of a red bar…not even yellow!!
Second when I enter the TP frequency and press “search” it tells me to “check channel settings” and it doesn’t allow any search to be done. Any Ideas?

On the LNB there are numbers from 1 to 5 that seem to indicate some kind of inclination/rotation of the LNB. Could anyone tell me what should it be set at?

Thanks in advance.

Tuga.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Hi Tuga, the numbers under the LNB are for Skew (an adjustment to accurately set polarity to the horizon of the required satellite) on this LNB it will only be suitable for a few of the Eastern satellites, you may need to adapt it for further West.

There will be at least one satellite with its transponders setup on the receiver, I would suggest that you perhaps try and start with Astra 28.2 East, you can at the least compare the dish elevation and azimuth with the neighbour's Sky dish.

If you are trying to find 19.2East, then make sure that you are set to a transponder that has a digital service on it.

G

guest user

I would reconmend to tune your reciver to a strong channel eg: tango tv. This helps when aligning my system

Tuga

Reaction score
Thanks rolfw!

I am afraid that 28E would be very difficult since I have 2 big chimneys at that angle!
I really want to get 19E so I can watch RTPI.

It looks like whoever was using this receiver before was watching mainly hotbird looking at the channel list. I don’t think I can get that one with a 60cm dish, or can I?

There are some stored frequencies on the receiver for astra 19E but they seem to be all wrong according to http://www.lyngsat.com/astra19.html . I don’t get it…. O-no

I will try again with more time!
I read in one of the threads that Tango (10832 H) has a strong signal…is that the best to search for on 19E?

Also, regardless of the skew settings on the LNB (1-5) should I get at least some kind of picture with any of them or not?

Thanks for your help once again. ;)

Tuga

Reaction score
Thanks modern!
I was writting the reply to rolfw so didnt see your post before!

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
With regard to the skew, use it on the most vertical setting, you should have more luck. Also, most people tend to point the dish too far upward on first attempt.

Tuga

Reaction score
rolfw said:
Aslo, most people tend to point the dish too hfar upward on first attempt.

Ok...

I got a “digital level thing” from work so I can set the inclination very accurately.

Am I right in thinking that I can set it buy putting a normal spirit level ( just because is very straight) across the face of my dish, then rest the “thing” on it and tilt the dish until it indicates 61.6 (90 – 28.4) it will work?

Thanks!

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
No, the dish is offset, so you have to take into account the offset of the dish arm when measuring the elevation.

Tuga

Reaction score
Yeeesssss….
Finally got it! RTPI is now showing on my TV!

Didn’t have a compass and couldn’t work out the angles, offsets and such so decided to just “sweep” the sky. :rolleyes:
From about 45E to South, slowly. Each time decreasing the elevation of my dish by 2.

Only took 10 minutes!!! How lucky!?! Full strength on Astra 19E. O-Ha

In case someone wants to know, my dish is at 7.5 degrees, LNB arm 17. This is of course for my 60cm Sky dish and LNB.

You were right rolfw; “we noobs” do try pointing the dish to far upwards on first attempt.

Many thanks to everyone for your help!
I am sure I’ll be back with more questions soon. :D

Tuga