Andrews 1.8m on its way on monday

R

Rd100

no andrews do not make a polar mount for it but channel master did like i said i my other posts i had the channel master polar mount for it for free as it was discontinued stock at my supplyer that had been siting there for a few years,

Also i did not pay alot for the dish i payed about £170 ish for it

I could have got the 2.4m but the misses would not have been happy with it, plus like you said there is a big diffrents in price between the two of them

wod said:
in the pic on the pdf seems you cant motorise the 1.8m dish as you would get some satellites in on that

I could have got the 2.4m but the misses would not have been happy with it also like you said there is a big diffrents in price between the two

the 1.8m dont seem that expensive at around 300 quid but theres a difference between that and the 2.4m as i bet you would have loved to get the 2.4m dish

don'tknowdon'taskme

Part Timer
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DreamBox 800HD DreamBox 7025 PVR160g HD,500s Dreambox ,Sly+ Full Package,SkyCard 2, And a Eagle 500 Clone DM500 TM755,TM9100 Linux
Channel Master 1.2m,1224EL Supermount Orbit Tracking Motor With c120 Feed Horn Invacom Quad Lnb Cas3 SC Dragon Progr
My Location
that would be telling
been reading about the 1.8m dish and by all accounts it is just as if not better than the 2.4m dish.

Hitchcock

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Is your 1.8 m motorized already up and running? What are your East and West limits?

R

Rd100

yes it is up and running limits are the same as my 1.2 70.5'e to 58'w i still have a clear view after 70.5e but after that the dish hits the pole i also have a clear view past 58'w aswell

Hitchcock said:
Is your 1.8 m motorized already up and running? What are your East and West limits?

Hitchcock

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Thanks, are you happy with the results you've got so far? Have you picked up some signals you couldn't pick up before with the 1.2 m?

I assume you are using at least a 24" motor (perhaps a 36"?), since you can go 70.5 + 58 = 128.5 deg which is very wide (My 18" can only do ~35 + 45 = ~80 deg. I can't fit a bigger/longer jack because it would crash into my chimney.)

R

Rd100

Yes i can now get astra 3a plus i can get all the horizontal channels on nilesat 7'w im useing a 36 inch jack but had to set the limits inside the jack as otherwise the dish could hit the pole, And am useing a 18 inch on my 1.2 and it get the whole arc

Hitchcock said:
Thanks, are you happy with the results you've got so far? Have you picked up some signals you couldn't pick up before with the 1.2 m?

I assume you are using at least a 24" motor (perhaps a 36"?), since you can go 70.5 + 58 = 128.5 deg which is very wide (My 18" can only do ~35 + 45 = ~80 deg. I can't fit a bigger/longer jack because it would crash into my chimney.)

wod

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1m channel master, jaeger smr1224, Inverto black ultra twin, technomate tm-1500ci, broken receiver vantage x221ci, New additions Skybox F5s and technomate tm-5402 HD arriving soon.
My Location
yorkshire
nice one, are you gonna get some pics up of the beast setup for us to see ?

is the 1.8m a solid dish or does it come in two pieces like the 2.4m does

R

Rd100

1.8 solid dish
wod said:
nice one, are you gonna get some pics up of the beast setup for us to see ?

is the 1.8m a solid dish or does it come in two pieces like the 2.4m does

Hitchcock

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
To go back to my initial brilliant suggestion :D, did you fit the circular feedhorn on the dish and see if your Technomate measured anything on 61.5°W? The following frequencies might be of particular interest*:

12,326 MHz (Dish Network test card?)
12,442 MHz /Strongest transponder?/
12,473 MHz (Dish Network test card?)

* Best tuning in at 11 PM?

Only if you think it's worth the bother, of course. At the very least, we would confirm that a (properly set up) 1.8 m would be insufficient in Wales and therefore probably England and France as well (not sure about Spain/Portugal). Click here for a view from space (Tenerife is said to require only a 2.4 m!).

Orthoclipse

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Various
Hitchcock said:
I did not know that, but thanks for telling me. I do not understand why a feedhorn for picking up R&L circular needs to be any different (apart from maybe having a dialectric plate inside) from a feedhorn picking up H&V linear, but I guess Channel Master must have their reasons.

ADL also have another type of feedhorn for C-band CP which does not use a dielectric plate but quarter wave plates instead.

h**p://www.sepatriot.com/feeds-ADL_RP1circular.htm

Hitchcock

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Is your Technomate unable to detect any signal at all on 61.5°W? When you scan all the frequencies do you detect any surge in signal strength on any of the transponders, particularly those 3 frequencies I mentioned earlier?

Orthoclipse

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Various
Rd100 said:
no not so far nothing at all ,

Im going to give Estrela do Sul 1 at 63.0°W a try later look at the foot print http://www.loralskynet.com/fleet/telstar14/telstar14_ku.htm

There is a tranponder signal at 11.633 Horizontal but no symbol rate where Estrela de Sul is located. Possibly for inflight internet.

There is also a strong data transponder on Amazonas at 61 west 12.561, V, 27500.

Likvid

ASBO Club Member - Persona non grata
Reaction score
My Location
Stockholm, Sweden
Rd100 said:
no not so far nothing at all ,
Just what i thought, some dude starting a Internet rumour he can receive DirecTV at 61W with a cheap Fortec Star 2.4 which performs like a good solid 1.2m dish.

It's just a big joke and some people beleives the source, the source couldn't even supply us with photos of his discovery, if the source had been trustworthy he would have taken som photos.

If we were talking about a 15m professional dish at a Teleport i could beleive him, but not in this case.

Just look at the footprint, i would guess if we have any signal at all on the Ireland coast it would be low as 8-9dBW.

My guess there is no RF at all as the elevation is low and you get too much ground noise it would not get a usable signal at those levels.

R

Rd100

I have seen the foot print for 61.5w in some parts of the usa you need a 1.2m dish for it, Also those cheap fortech star 2.4m dishes are not very good i think my 1.2 channel master with inverto lnb would be better than those cheap made dishes

Likvid said:
Just what i thought, some dude starting a Internet rumour he can receive DirecTV at 61W with a cheap Fortec Star 2.4 which performs like a good solid 1.2m dish.

It's just a big joke and some people beleives the source, the source couldn't even supply us with photos of his discovery, if the source had been trustworthy he would have taken som photos.

If we were talking about a 15m professional dish at a Teleport i could beleive him, but not in this case.

Just look at the footprint, i would guess if we have any signal at all on the Ireland coast it would be low as 8-9dBW.

My guess there is no RF at all as the elevation is low and you get too much ground noise it would not get a usable signal at those levels.

Lancelot

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
SS1.
125cm Gibbi with Channelmaster feedhorn and Inverto C120 twin.
36v H to H 62E - 61.5W
My Location
South central
I agree :).

I'd put my antenna up against one any day.

Have you got anything on the Amazonas transponder at all ???

L.:)

Likvid

ASBO Club Member - Persona non grata
Reaction score
My Location
Stockholm, Sweden
Andrew Type 180 on Channel Master polarmount.