Angle a bit tight

maxib

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate TM-5200D USB
My Location
UK
Hi all,

Never done any of this before so please be patient! Toying with the idea of getting a mobile dish to fix up out here on holiday on the balcony. They're a bit fussy about permanently fixing dishes in the condominium so was hoping to get one of those smaller unobtrusive things to stick up. I'm having a bit of a dilemma working out, however, if I can actually pick up the satellite (hotbird 13E) that I need. I've tried using those apps on the phone but they seem to rely on the compass and I think my compass is very inaccurate on the balcony - from one side of the balcony to the other I get a 90 deg shift. My best guess is that it would be REALLY tight against the front of the building and so would like to know if there is some way to work it out (cheapish instrument of some sort which doesnt rely on magnetic compass?) if I can really get the signal before spending on an actual dish and equipment.
Sorry if it's all a bit amateurish, any advice would be apprecitated!:-righton

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.

maxib

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate TM-5200D USB
My Location
UK
Thanks Paul. Yes I tried that one and the line does seem to go away from the building but it is VERY tight (almost flush with the front face of the building, which is where I have my balcony). What with other balconies higher up jutting out, I'm not sure I would have complete line of sight. Is there no other way of checking other than buying the dish and praying?

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
A decent satellite system installer would be able tell you. Many have angle measuring devices which give them a viewlng line along which they can squint to check for obstructions. He might also use his meter and a spare satellite dish to be absolutely sure.

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Look up your holiday location on any decent local road map. Since true north/south will be part of the grid you can draw a line to Hotbird. Or you can look down to the location with Google Earth

maxib

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate TM-5200D USB
My Location
UK
Thanks for the advice. People out in front watching my antics on the balcony these past couple of days must be wondering what on earth I'm up to, laptop in one hand, mobile in the other, pacing up and down pointing at the sky and shaking my head! I think I will take the advice and pop down to the local installers and ask advice. In England, what would the call out fees just to check something usually be around? I know this is Italy and so prices will be different, but just for an idea...?

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Didn't realise you were in Italy but that shouldn't change anything. Hopefully one of our professional members will be able give an idea of costs.