Another expensive Space Probe

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
http://www.nasa.gov/55644main_NASATV_Windows.asx

Genesis is (was) the probe that has spent a large amount of time collecting solar wind, the dust and other particles thrown out by the Sun, and being them back to Earth , to allow sientists to dicover a bit more about our origins.

The amount of particles on board was only in the order of milligrams, and the idea was to capture the returning probe before it landed, by the use of drag parachutes and a couple of helicopters with booms.

Unfortunately the chutes failed to open.

Will keep you posted as to if anything is recoverable without contamination from the ground (making the substances retrieved useless)

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Of course the more worrying thing now is the amount of material thats been let loose into the atmosphere without undergoing any form of decontamination process, by human means, or naturally by the atmosphere.
Contamination is a two way thing.

Anyone in Utah see anything unusual with the wildlife in the next few days, let us know......

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/3638926.stm

"There are a lot of things that had to happen in series and we got just about all of them done and we just did not get the last two or three done," said Genesis project manager Don Sweetnam.

LOL, Im gonna have to use that one day when I rack up a $280M bill:D