Another Nooby Question :)

My Satellite Setup
Shuttle PC 2.8ghz
Sky Star 2
80cm Dish and Moteck SG2100
My Location
Co.Kerry Long 9.90 W Lat 52.11 N
Hi everyone,

Just getting into the satellite scene, but do have some questions, and hopefully you will be the guys and gals to help :)

1) Do receivers that have embedded Iredeto or Via -access allow you to watch all scrambled channels that use these encryption methods ?

2) I am a little confused about the additional XXX cams that allow access to these channels, if i have a receiver with Via-access built in, would i need an additional CAM to view XXX channels that also use this scrambling method ?

3) Are the FTA receivers upgradeable to accept CAMS to unscramble encrypted channels ?

4) Although i have already used the terminology, can you tell me the difference between CAMS and CI ?

Sorry if these questions are ambiguous or just downright stupid...but you have to start somewhere ....

Many Thanks

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Answer to Question:

1) Yes with the relevant card

2) If by XXX you mean adult channels, there are some channels which require a dedicated CAM, otherwise a relevant card is required.

3) FTA receivers can normally only be used as FTA, unless they have additional CI slots for CAM/CAMs

4) CI Common Interface, is a slot which can take a CAM Conditional Access Module, also known as Common Access Module (not sure whether both are correct).

My Satellite Setup
Shuttle PC 2.8ghz
Sky Star 2
80cm Dish and Moteck SG2100
My Location
Co.Kerry Long 9.90 W Lat 52.11 N
Many Thanks for the info,

So if i have a CAM for say Via-access, will i then need to use a smartcard to access some of the channels, or just the relevant CAM.

Thanks

rolfw said:
Answer to Question:

1) Yes with the relevant card

2) If by XXX you mean adult channels, there are some channels which require a dedicated CAM, otherwise a relevant card is required.

3) FTA receivers can normally only be used as FTA, unless they have additional CI slots for CAM/CAMs

4) CI Common Interface, is a slot which can take a CAM Conditional Access Module, also known as Common Access Module (not sure whether both are correct).

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
With a Viaccess CAM, embedded or CI based, you will require a card.

To complicate matters, some receivers can have their firmware upgraded to nake the embedded CAM work on other encryptions and in some cases, work without a card. :)