another way of use for sly plus box

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
SKY PLUS, BT OPENWORLD
i am thinking of to cancel sky plus . is there any use of sky plus with 160 gib to transform PVR box for other sat via any method? or simply sell in ebay and buy digital recevier with PVR.

thanks in advance,

bigscreen

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Unless you can get the box to accept another CAM, its only use of for Free to air channels on other satellites , ones with the limites Symbol rates of 22k and 27.5k.

You could always contact the manufacturer though and advise then they are breaking EU regs on limiting the receiver to use with one broadcaster.

spiney

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Pace 2200 Sky digibox with ftv card, Comag SL65 FTA sat receiver, 40cm Sky minidish, Setpal terrestrial receiver (for free uk tv only!).
My Location
Midlands
Interesting point, though!

All Sky receivers have general purpose chipsets inside, and are limited only by the installed software. Maybe somebody can write new software, turning them into gereral purpose sat receivers? (sky+ box would make a nice cheap pvr!).

(Added), maybe not possible to add CAMS, but at least a software change would allow more data rates!

captainkirk

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Engineers SKY+ 200
My Location
south
In the back of all DVB set top boxs (including sky +) there is a cam slot in the back.

If you can reprogram the box to read the cam then you can look at other saterlittes

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
I've no direct experience but I've read that although it looks like a CI slot in a digibox it's not and has different wiring to to the contacts. If true, perhaps the plusbox is the same?

PaulR