Any active Sat*Once forums running?

Dove

Reaction score
Recently I've been dapling with sat*once and would like to know more. All the active forums I found so far are in german etc. I 've found a number of forums in English but alas none of them are active. There must be one somewhere!

Lancelot

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
SS1.
125cm Gibbi with Channelmaster feedhorn and Inverto C120 twin.
36v H to H 62E - 61.5W
My Location
South central
What exactly are you trying to do with your card I wonder??

L.:)

Dove

Reaction score
Lancelot said:
What exactly are you trying to do with your card I wonder??

I recently got a Skystar 2, played with progdvb for a while and finally settled on Dvbdream for TV. Dvbdream seems to run better on my lowish end system presumably because it doesn't have to carry the time shift overheads.

I also got Sat at Once running and it looks potentially useful. One immediate problem I have is that there is no internet connect to the "dvb" pc so without being able to vote I'm only getting random websites and newsgroups. Is there anyway around this? Also filesharing via the sat at once newsgroup sound interesting.

Lancelot

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
SS1.
36v H to H 62E - 61.5W
My Location
South central
If you want to do that you'll need to get a proper sub from the sat*once people to sync your requests via phone line and your answers via satellite, otherwise you are just confined to 'grabbing' data packets that others have requested.

Rgds

Dove

Reaction score
Therein lie my problem, there is no "normal" internet connection to that PC. On casablanca voting only seems to work if its allowed to dial home. Hitting the Vote button in the absence of an internet connection doesn't enable your preferences. Voting only needs to be done every few day at most so I wonder would it be somehow possible to do that on a different internet connected pc?
I also heard of alternative sat*once data grabbers to casablanca but I don't know if they can filter the data stream.

Lancelot

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
SS1.
36v H to H 62E - 61.5W
My Location
South central
You can use pidscanner and filegrabber instead, both from the progdvb site.
Have you actually got an account with either of these providers as I still am failing to see what you are trying to do here. If you have signed up and paid, then with no phoneline there you need to think about switching to a 2 way satellite comms provider/tarrif.

If you are just trying to grab streams that other people have requested with your card and hope you get lucky with some music or a film then you may be disappointed unless you are prepared to leave it running for days at a time.

Dove

Reaction score
Hi again lancelot!

From the Sat At Once home page:

Sat*Once is an European-scale project, sponsored by the European Space Agency (ESA) and SES-ASTRA (Luxembourg) to promote the use of satellite in the daily life. Sat*Once uses the Casablanca technology to extend the Web in another dimension, while remaining fully compliant with all aspects of the "netiquette".

Sat*Once delivers a free service that is available only in Europe, in geographical locations that are under the footprint of the satellite ASTRA-1D
hxxp://once.csp.it/english/index.php

Sat* once is a free webcast system that broadcast popular webpages, podcasts, RSS feeds and newsgroups. There are no fees, accounts or signing up involved. The only link back to the provider is via "voting" which sets your local filters to to capture just what interests you and ignore most of the rest (always good to leave some random content through to expand your horizons!) My problem is that I can't vote from my DVB pc.

Grabbing other peoples streams from regular satellite internet is of limited appeal to me. Random music, mature content, films, viruses, worm and trojans, eh...no thanks :-)

Lancelot

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
SS1.
36v H to H 62E - 61.5W
My Location
South central
Right - just been there and seen the 'readme' .

It looks like the software downloaded to your PC is modified accordingly with
the voting done while the PC is online. It would appear that this is done only at setup and when changes to your favourites need to be made.

So - it looks like you can get away with moving your pc to somewhere with a phoneline and voting there. It is not clear whether you need to be recieving a data stream in the first instance for the software to lock the voting preferences but is worth a go.

I'll load this on here as a trial and not have my antenna on 23E when voting to see if my supposition is correct.

I'll be back.

Dove

Reaction score
Hi Lancelot, How did you get on with the sat*once application? I read in a german forum that your voting perference still "sticks" even without a internet connection- bearing in mind what Babel Fish can do to the orginal content.

It would appear that there was few English speaking user anyway:

Sat*Once newsletter number 97 (ENGLISH)
=======================================

First results from the Online Survey
------------------------------------
Thank you for having participated massively to the online survey. The number of answers is as significant as with commercial studies. In exchange we'd like to share with you some most prominent results. If you have spare figures of similar studies, please share them with us so that we can becnhmark the results.

Audience: Sat*Once users come from more than 30 countries. As expected, Germany is the largest group with 35%, followed by Italy 11%, Poland 10% and France 7%. The big surprise is Romania 3%: it has never been on our radar screen but the download statistics from our web site confirm this.

Education: 37% of you have a master degree or PhD

Age: 65% of you are more than 35 years old. This is also a surprise because we imagined that an innovative service like Sat*Once would be mainly used by young urbans gamers.

Household Income: the average yearly income of Sat*Once users is 15% higher than the average income of Digital TV users. Almost half of you have spent 500 EUR or more last year in online purchases.

Sat*Once popularity: webcasting is the most popular service (70% "good" or "very good"). Podcasting and RSS feeds collect mostly an "average" rating. This is where we need to improve.

Do you still want to participate in the online survey?
------------------------------------------------------
Because we have many answers, we have the ambition to analyse also the difference between waves of answers after each newsletter. If you have not yet given your opinion on Sat*Once, please follow the links: there are still 2 weeks more to go before we close the survey.

English: http://www.zoomerang.com/survey.zgi?p=WEB224VCZFHJ79
French: http://www.zoomerang.com/survey.zgi?p=WEB224WGD7757H
Italian: http://www.zoomerang.com/survey.zgi?p=WEB224WQRVC995
German: http://www.zoomerang.com/survey.zgi?p=WEB224WTZNE8LT
Polish: http://www.zoomerang.com/survey.zgi?p=WEB224X4V6KMPV

Establishing a survey panel for Sat*Once (bis)
---------------------------------------------
In the previous newsletter, we asked for volunteers to participate in a permanent panel of Sat*Once users. The general purpose is as follows:
- to tell us more about you, just like a survey of the audience of a radio or TV channel
- to let you beta-test the usefulness of new ideas of satellite IP services before we decide to make further development steps towards deploying the final version

We asked you to send us an email to volunteer for the panel. Thank you very much to all of you who have already volunteered, and a fresh call to those of you who are not yet involved: we still need users from all countries.

To volunteer you can please use the following address <casablanca-survey*csp.it>. By default we'll do the survey using the reply address in your email.