any good alternative to vlc frontend?

Sharkadder

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 8000 HD PVR+DVD, 80cm Dish, 1.2 Compatible Motor, Quad LNB, Samsung 22" 1080p HD TV/monitor, Yamaha RX-V765 Amplifier, Tannoy Mercury FC Centre Speaker, 2 x Tannoy F1 Custom Speakers, 2 x Tannoy FR Custom Speakers, EPOS ELS Sub Woofer
My Location
Teesside (North East England)
Hi, i have recently been been using the latest version of VLC Frontend but as you may know it has a few glitches with it.

When you play dvd files it will play the short chapters but not the long ones. if you play an AVI file the box will reboot.

Are they any good alternatives to use for watching things on my box from my pc? I am not obthered about watching the box on pc because i've got that working fine and can change channel etc.

I have a 500-s so if anybody know's any other plugins or scripts for my 500-s what will allow me to browse files on my computer and then play them, then let me know. Or if any old versions work fine then that will be great.

thanks, i did look the topic up on places but it's all about streaming to LAN from the box.

mhku

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM Nano ~ sg2100
My Location
Midlands
You need something that will convert the source file to a transcode format (or possibly an mpeg2) and stream to the Dreambox. I gave up with VLC long ago and haven't looked for an alternative since. Hopefully someone will suggest something...

Sharkadder

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 8000 HD PVR+DVD, 80cm Dish, 1.2 Compatible Motor, Quad LNB, Samsung 22" 1080p HD TV/monitor, Yamaha RX-V765 Amplifier, Tannoy Mercury FC Centre Speaker, 2 x Tannoy F1 Custom Speakers, 2 x Tannoy FR Custom Speakers, EPOS ELS Sub Woofer
My Location
Teesside (North East England)
well the later versions now support mp3 and it works a treat believe it or not, people on IHAD keep going on about version 1.3 instead which i managed to get hold of with abit of struggle, but it only plays videos.

What it looks like i'm going to have to do is just wait for these bugs to get fixed, no way i am using it when i cannot watch nothing. Somebody said it may of been a wireless issue which is rubbish otherwise i'd have problems watching/feeding streams from/to the internet lol.

But as i say the mp3 works now but the videos dont for long videos, and the dvd part of it is abit screwed at the moment. AVI files reboot the box.

I think they really need to stop adding extra's and sort these bugs out as it is a really good idea.

I'm not sure what these plugin's are programmed in, i think it's just xml and some machine code but i may be wrong, but thanks for the info.

p.s. i know this has nothing to do with this topic but how come on later gemini when playing a game, you get the top corner of the screen instead of being able to pause it and resume? they could of shown a mini screen or something of thw whole picture, i only noticed that yesterday as i don't play them often. But again a nice idea.

cheers