any help much appreciated

Dannyboy

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have a sky didgibox in portugal. My son has one in the uk and has got me a 2nd card from his subscription. He has all the channels except sport.

I am having problems though with mine. Most of the channels are working but some are just coming up with a blue screen but the info in the message title bar is ok, and when I tune into the movie channels a message comes up saying that it is the wrong card for the box and to call sky.

all my settings are the same as his, have a large dish, think the coax cable might not be big enough though.

Any ideas on how I can solve this problem, and get all the channels he has.
When he got the card he activated it in the uk using his box.

cheers

richardinalex

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
Alexandria, Egypt
Dannyboy

I think you'll find that the SKY card (when activated) is matched to the SKY Digibox when it was activated. If you put a SKY card into another digibox it will receive some of the channels but none of the "Premier" Channels - i.e. SKY Movies and SKY Sport.

The only way over this is to take out your own subscription (cancel the second card) and try again to activate a new card in your digibox.

Hope that helps

Richard

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Dannyboy said:
My son has one in the uk and has got me a 2nd card from his subscription. He has all the channels except sport.

As Richard says, only the non-premium channels will work in a non-paired box, so you need to get your son to phone them and tell them that he has changed boxes and they will send a signal to pair it to yours.

If this is a subsidised mirror subscription, you will find also that Sky will notice in the near future that your box is not connected to the phone line and ask for it to be so. Failure to comply will probably see the card being switched off.

devonbrown

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
4 systems. In Scotland Freesat with Humax Foxsat recorder. In Algarve 1.5 fixed Inv Quad LNB with 3 Pace 2600C1 and 1 Amstrad HD DRX780UK also 80cm dish with Inverto 0.2db monoblock LNB (19.2E/26E) feeding Technomate 5000CI+ usb.
My Location
Scotlandl and Algarve
I see you are in Portugal. I would be grateful if you could tell me your location and size of dish. I want to know what size of dish is needed in Lisbon

Dannyboy

Reaction score
Hi, thanks for the information,
I am in the Algarve, size of dish is I think 1 meter 1/2

Will tell my son to phone sky and sort it out, but that doesn't explain why say chanel 5 I don't get, or is it the same problem?

cheers

PoloMint

Super Minty Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1200cc with 100,000,000,000 neurons and 100,000,000,000,000 connections
My Location
Fife, Scotland
Channel 5 is on a weak north beam transponder, even with that dish size you will probably not be able to receive it, and some other channels.

A blue screen with no message, on a freeze of the last channel you could receive, is normally caused by a very weak signal, but one that is not quite weak enough to bring up the 'no signal' message.

richardinalex

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
Alexandria, Egypt
Danny

When your son phones SKY remind him not to let on that the second card is not in UK.

Channel 5 (and the North Beam channels) are weak "down South" - you can get them but you might have to look at a bigger dish.

Good luck

Richard