Any php developers in the house? (or c#)

mhku

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM Nano ~ sg2100
My Location
Midlands
Hello,

My client needs a content management system that does the folllowing:

It must be robust and reliable and must have:

1. Templates that the user can create/ modify.
2. Generate static HTML files.
3. Use a dynamic navigation structure that is separate to the templates and use breadcrumbs.
4. Have an ecommerce component or work with X cart (doesn't need credit card integration though).
5. Have a nod to Google/ SEO and allow user defined page names to be created.
6. Allow link creation to internal pages and these links not to break each time static generation occurs.

Does anyone know of a product that matches? Ideally php/ mySQL but c# also an option?

Cheers!

:)

mhku

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM Nano ~ sg2100
My Location
Midlands
Any developers here today?

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
Did you find one?

I've only looked at the free ones, 'cos I'm too tightfisted to pay anything and I have to say that I've been generally disappointed.

Some look good but don't have the support, some work well but look like plop, but more than that I've found them all to be too immature yet.

I found myself having to upgrade every five minutes to the latest bug-fix release, and having to reapply any mods or patches I'd made.

Only just starting out in PHP. I've a lot to learn. Good job some of my other skills are still intact. It all strikes me as a bunch of flakey lego (the packages I mean, not PHP).

I'm sure the expensive stuff is better, but I'm also sure I'll not be finding out first hand.

Let me know how you got on.

mhku

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM Nano ~ sg2100
My Location
Midlands
Hello,

there is plenty of decent pro. software for php that is free- see opensourcecms.com

I just needed to speak to a php person to get their opinions (I did this through existing contacts). Decided to use either Drupal or MDPro but since giving the client the proposal I haven't heard back from them.

Other than that, I'm an asp/Javascript/c#/ MS SQL person through and through. The problem with LAMP (Linux Apache MySQL Perl) is that people know the tech is free and associate this with cheap i.e. they don't pay enough. Technology is second- understanding of their requirements and project experience are the key and that is what they're paying for (or should be).

;)

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
I agree with your last point, but most of the open-source CMS stuff I've tried is junk.

I've had to fix numerous coding errors before I could apply any new custom code :-doh!

Some of the point releases were so fundamentally flawed, they were clearly tested by chimps (no offence to any chimps viewing the forum...) if at all.

I've tried a few now. e107 is next on my testbed :)

I've completely in love with the skin they currently have on their homepage http://e107.org/news.php

STICK

mhku

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM Nano ~ sg2100
My Location
Midlands
The client didn't get back in touch so I'm doing some real work instead: c# and Biztalk ;)

D4ftpunk

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7020
Dreambox DM500
Sky Thomsom Digibox
StrongSat FTA Reciever
80cm Dish + 45cm Dish via Disecq A/B.
My Location
England
well i am a perl/sql developer if your interested, i can do CMS and things.