Any PVR browser or Driver for FortecStar ULTIMATE ???

anil9898

Reaction score
Dear Friends

Is there any software or Driver to recognise PVR HD by windows ??? This is to transfer recorded programs to PC or to copy MP3 to receiver HDD...

Pls. help. Thanks in advance

Skip Channel

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
28e, 19e, 13e, 30w
My Location
England
I'll bump this up because I also want to know the answer and not start a new thread!

FWIW anil, if you press the 'HDD' button twice you get an mp3 menu. I don't know if you know that already, I just happened upon it by chance as I don 't recall seeing anything about it in the manual!

Oh, BTW what hard drive are you using? I just tested my Ultimate with an old 30 gig and it worked well (just very noisy!). There's no fan built-in to the Ultimate so I'm a little worried about the heat being generated and what to do about it!

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
Skip Channel don't hold your breath on this one waiting for a reply anil9898 joined the forum on 18:10:2004.... his first post was that one which was 1:09:2005 thus in theory if he follows his established timetable he may be back in December 2006 :eek:

Skip Channel

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
28e, 19e, 13e, 30w
My Location
England
Oh well! You never know, he might have forgotten all about this thread (everyone else on the planet did!) and now he may have received an automated email reply saying there was a response to this thread!

I've been playing around with the Ultimate and it really isn't a bad receiver. It just needs support! Shame, cos I reckon with some support (from Fortec and the usual suspects as well as users themselves) this thing could do loads. IMHO (and from my brief experience) it seems more reliable than a v2 Pace Sky+! More versatile too!

mark123

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
just setting up
My Location
birmingham
hello skip i have read your thread i am a newbe to the satellite world. i am planning on buying the ultimate receiver + 90 cm dish. i am not very sure what i am getting is ok (as i have seen technomate receivers which are said to be top notch with loads of support even cracks) and just needed a second opinion and a bit of guidance i guess, as i have never seen the receiver in person. i noticed you mentioning there is not much support for it, and that it doesn't have a hdd fan can this be adopted???:confused

Skip Channel

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
28e, 19e, 13e, 30w
My Location
England
Mine didn't come with a HDD but mine is secondhand/refurbished. I think new ones don't come with a HDD either but I'm not sure. Maybe some do or maybe the dealer puts them in.

So far I've only tried mine with an old Seagate drive I had. The drive is 30 gig and noisy. Until I get myself a new drive I can't really say much about the PVR operation of the unit.

And to top that off I've got an unusual satellite hookup that keeps changing! What I mean by that is that I have reception of 4 satellites via two DiSEqC switches, two dishes and all but one of the LNBs is single - the other being a twin but with one output going to my Sky box!

Ideally I'd have two exact same feeds, one going into tuner one, the other into tuner two of the Ultimate. That way I'd be able to watch and record any combination of channels on any of the 4 satellites. Right now I can't do that but the beauty of the Ultimate is that you can hook up each tuner as if it were a completley different satellite receiver. There's complete flexibilty. If I one had reception of one satellite, and that was via a single LNB - well I could loopthrough to the second tuner and watch and record any combination of channels in the right frequency band and polarity.

I like the picture-in-picture, the tuner sensitivity and like I said, the LNB/dish flexibility but there are many faults/flaws and that lack of support. I wouldn't have wanted to have payed the full asking price for the unit and when I bought it I took into account the lack of support (official and otherwise) as I already have a Fortec Diamond.

Funnily enough, the Diamond seems to be getting more support now that I have an Ultimate. And the Ultimate's tuner picks up channels I can't get with the Diamond! Argh! One of the only Fortec receivers that have been left behind in the updates for a certain continental PPV service is the Ultimate.

As for the fan, I guess one can be adopted. I've got one in my PC that piggybacks on the power cord going into either a DVD/HDD. Something like that could go inside the Ultimate I guess.

mark123

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
just setting up
My Location
birmingham
cheers for the info, have you got any idea about the new hdmi receivers which are now coming out. Will i need to change my receiver or will exsiting receivers using the scart system still be used. basically what i am trying to ask is, is scart going to be faded out and replaced with HDMI OR DVI.

Skip Channel

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
28e, 19e, 13e, 30w
My Location
England
I have no idea about the whole HDTV thing, sorry.