any recent news on bbc moving to astra 2a or b

rob_drani

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Hi Guy ,
does enyone know if, having the bbc moved most of its radio stations to Astra a , this might slowly pave the way for bbc tv channels moving there also.?
My opinion is that, as soon as the terrestrial signal will start being axed across the uk regions in favour of digital signals (that will kick off this October), this can indeed clear the way for easier and less complex viewing opoportunities on satellite then what it has been so far.
ANy comment on this???

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
No chance - the radio channels will have been moved to free up a bit more capacity for *something* :D

PoloMint

Super Minty Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1200cc with 100,000,000,000 neurons and 100,000,000,000,000 connections
My Location
Fife, Scotland
I don't see the UK analogue terrestrial switch off affecting whether the BBC is on 2D or 2A/B. The UK is covered by 2D so there is nothing to gain by switching to A/B. However moving radio around on satellite might make room for more HD or interactive stuff on 2D?

EDIT: I'm just too slow today...

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Rob - you also need to remember theres just insufficient capacity anywhere else at the moment for the BBC to move their channels onto wide footprint birds - the BBC uses 3 or 4 full tp's on 2D, and has one tp on 2A.

2C is moving to 28E late in the year, but will only be activating 10 new tp's - at the moment theres been no announcements about who is taking capacity on there, but you can bet your bottom dollar Sky has some capacity booked to expand HDTV services.

Id happily give my granny's ashes to SES to have a look at the list of the current bookings for 2C.

dxsat

Reaction score
Website
skyinmadrid.com
My Satellite Setup
Snap's setup: (In Spain) Humax HDR, Prodelin 1.8m dish + Invacom QDF-031 + CM feed, (In UK) CallFlow VDSL + EE 4G, Sky Q, YouView HD, Mac OSX, iOS
My Location
UK: Tonbridge, Kent. Spain: Madrid.
The old frequencies used by BBC Radio on 2D, 10803 H, were switched off this morning.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Having had a look at the flysat tp lists, my guess in the earlier post was wrong - the BBC have exclusive use of 5 tp's on Astra 2D

geoffreys

ASBO Club Member - Persona non grata
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Satellite Setup
Famaval 2.4m dish, Invacom 0.2dB LNB (single), Pace 430N
My Location
Famagusta District, Cyprus
rob_drani said:
Hi Guy ,
does enyone know if, having the bbc moved most of its radio stations to Astra a , this might slowly pave the way for bbc tv channels moving there also.?
My opinion is that, as soon as the terrestrial signal will start being axed across the uk regions in favour of digital signals (that will kick off this October), this can indeed clear the way for easier and less complex viewing opoportunities on satellite then what it has been so far.
ANy comment on this???

I notice that in that on 11th June Movies 24 and Movies 24+ (channels 329/330) appear to have been moved to the 2D satellite. I wonder what will replace them?
Geoff
Cyprus

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
geoffreys said:
I notice that in that on 11th June Movies 24 and Movies 24+ (channels 329/330) appear to have been moved to the 2D satellite. I wonder what will replace them?
Geoff
Cyprus

Nah - still on Eurobird 1 although now on the fixed beam on 11390V. Former home 11642V has been cleared out.