Any subscribers for TopUpTv?

PoloMint

Super Minty Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1200cc with 100,000,000,000 neurons and 100,000,000,000,000 connections
My Location
Fife, Scotland
With it launching tomorrow has anyone already subscribed?

Does anyone know of anyone who has, or plans to subscribe?

Most people I know have either never heard of it, or are hopefully waiting for some keys.

dan1975

Reaction score
PoloMint said:
With it launching tomorrow has anyone already subscribed?

Does anyone know of anyone who has, or plans to subscribe?

Most people I know have either never heard of it, or are hopefully waiting for some keys.
Yes I subscribed initially with the old on digital philips box in mind - but have had encouraging results with the net gem i-player since buying a cam!!
was able to watch cartoon network uk style and also uk food!! with congratulations screen both on channel 17 and 33!!

boo

Reaction score
hi im quite new to all this but i was around for the end of itv digital.
do you know if my old gold wafer could work once again

dragonfox

Reaction score
Gold Cards wont work as its SECA 2 (operates to slow) so you will proly need a titanium card when it gets hacked

waverider

Salty Tech Monster Bod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Protek 9750 HD IP, Spiderbox 9000HD. Cryptik Digital H-H Mount with1.2m Oval Dish and a box in the garage consisting of 2 obsolete STBs, various Cards and a couple of cams!
My Location
South East England
I think that anyone who subscribes to this package is just fueling the companys fire to print money!.....yet another budding monopoly allowed to go unoticed!

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
I'd be very surprised if this was still in existence in 12 months time.

MickH

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
North East
Surely anything that annoys or threatens Rupert is worth supporting? Even if TUTV IS doomed before it's birth.

waverider

Salty Tech Monster Bod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Protek 9750 HD IP, Spiderbox 9000HD. Cryptik Digital H-H Mount with1.2m Oval Dish and a box in the garage consisting of 2 obsolete STBs, various Cards and a couple of cams!
My Location
South East England
Yep yet another digital express to the recievers and subscribers screaming for their money back! :D

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
MickH said:
Surely anything that annoys or threatens Rupert is worth supporting? Even if TUTV IS doomed before it's birth.

Don't think that it will come close to doing either Mick. :)

waverider

Salty Tech Monster Bod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
South East England
I reckon it's only a matter of time when good ole honest rupert will press the red destruct button :D

waverider

Salty Tech Monster Bod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
South East England
Probably just another probe to try and get people to pay for tv then the government will hope they can get away for the tv licence revenue being paid to the BBC.....of course we will all have to still pay our licence fee....and course pay for the Beeb also!

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
MickH said:
That doesn't answer the question though! :D

Which question Mick?

Whether it's worth supporting on the basis that it will annoy Rupert? No, as it won't, 10 half channels versus 250 +?

Will it give a quality range of pay channels? No

Will it still be in existence in the same form in a year? No

Is the moon made of cheese? If Rupert wants it to be, Yes. :D

MickH

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
North East
waverider said:
Probably just another probe to try and get people to pay for tv then the government will hope they can get away for the tv licence revenue being paid to the BBC.....of course we will all have to still pay our licence fee....and course pay for the Beeb also!

I for one don't mind paying for what I WANT to watch (if it's reasonable and isn't Sky) but that just isn't possible at the moment (only want football). TUTV provides all of what the wife/kids want but no football - very wise as overbidding for Nationwide League football was the cause of the demise of ON/ITV Digital. The fact that it (TUTV) caters for the wife/kids gives it a reasonable chance of success - for God's sake these channels can't be costing them very much - extra target audience for the advertisers may mean it's virtually free to them!

jimbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky HD, TM6800HD, Manhattan Plaza ST550 and TM1500 CI+. 1.0m dish and 36v motor, Panasonic DVD HDD recorder and Panasonic video/DVD recorder. Sony G800 HD TV stand/surround system + Sony KDL40W2000. Infinity USB, Elvis, CAS1, CAS2.
My Location
Greater London
If TUTV was free I could see a niche for it added to Freeview. It's all very well knocking Rupe's success (which is a British trait ...a la Man U) but if you're moralising about Sky then how about the fact that the Chief Exec of Freeview left that company to set up TUTV. I thought the principle of Freeview was to introduce ppl who did not want to go down the Sky route, to digital TV. That's what the Chief Exec said once.

MickH

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
North East
rolfw said:
Which question Mick?

Whether it's worth supporting on the basis that it will annoy Rupert? No, as it won't, 10 half channels versus 250 +?

Will it give a quality range of pay channels? No

Will it still be in existence in the same form in a year? No

Is the moon made of cheese? If Rupert wants it to be, Yes. :D

Does Sky cost less than 27p per day? No! And you cannot watch 250 channels at once and can't record more than 1/100th of them even with Sky+. The vast majority of people in this country simply want an alternative when there's nothing worth watching on mainstream TV and at the lowest cost. My wife/kids are VERY happy with the channel lineup (I'm not) and I suspect there are millions of others who think likewise. Within this and many other sites it's claimed that he/his company (Murdoch) is responsible for the leak of the Seca 2 hack (which isn't actually a fully working hack anyway) on the grounds it will scupper TUTV. Why would he bother if it wasn't a threat? I think you might be right in thinking that TUTV will not last 12 months - only time will tell, but I would not bet money on it.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Mick, because I don't think that the channel offering from TUTV is good enough to bother with, let alone be a threat to Sky, does not make me a huge Rupert Murdoch fan and certainly doesn't indicate any connection with or sponsorship by the said party.

The forum is supported financially by private donation and in small part from the advertising banners at top and bottom of the page. You may also have noticed a raffle in aid of the forum server costs.

Whilst I am not a paid up member of the Rupert Murdoch fan club (I do subscribe to a package though), I do find the "Rupert Murdoch is the great satan" lobby sometimes slightly ridiculous when they attribute a corporation with personal emotions, it is a business and it is run by a board of directors.

With regard to the "Rupert Murdoch hacked/leaked Seca2 rumour", if it was at all true it wouldn't be aimed at TUTV, there are much bigger fishes to fry and aside from that, it is almost certainly unfounded.

MickH

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
North East
rolfw said:
I don't think that the channel offering from TUTV is good enough to bother with

Rolf, the point is that there are people who do think it's enough. As I have already stated, the vast majority of viewers here watch mainstream TV for most of the time. Anyone who is in any doubt should simply look at the weekly ratings. All they want is a few more alternatives when there's a lull after their soaps have finished and cartoons for the kids while they're getting the tea ready. And for a lot of people, it's UK TV Style/Gold they turn to when the soaps are finished. And E4 is particularly important for the millions who watch Big Brother and the like - yes, rubbush I know, but it's all they want and need. So given the alternative of paying £8 for TopUp TV or five times as much to watch the same thing on Sky (which they aren't doing), then for those people it has now become economically viable. While TopUp TV will not disourage many (if any at all) to change from Sky, there is no doubt that it has and will continue to take potential Sky customers just as Freeview has done. Your envisaged demise of TopUp is "within 12 months" so we'll just have to agree to disagree until we see what happens. The thing is, I cannot imagine that it's costing much to get those channels so I doubt they'd need many subscribers to keep on going.
As for the "seca 2 leak" I couldn't agree more with you on that one - I think it's complete and utter nonsense. And I don't think Rupert Murdoch is "Satan" either, only that Sky is overpriced and represents very poor value for money when all you want is a few more alternatives. Finally, the more competition there is, the better (cheaper) it will eventually be for us all so I wish TopUp TV every success!

MickH

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
North East
jimbo said:
If TUTV was free I could see a niche for it added to Freeview. .
If the 10 channels had wanted to be part of Freeview I am sure the BBC would have been delighted and only too willing to add them to their line-up.