Anyobody pick up 36E

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Been looking for some Russian channels for someone, just wondered if anyone was picking up the European beam of that sat and on what dish size.

jimbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky HD, TM6800HD, Manhattan Plaza ST550 and TM1500 CI+. 1.0m dish and 36v motor, Panasonic DVD HDD recorder and Panasonic video/DVD recorder. Sony G800 HD TV stand/surround system + Sony KDL40W2000. Infinity USB, Elvis, CAS1, CAS2.
My Location
Greater London
I'm picking up 36E ok Rolf but not the Russian channels. Left and right circular aren't they?

Jimbo

Old Satellite

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Hi Rolf,

The eastern spot footprint on E4 36.0 East is generally pretty weak in a majority of Europe, typically less than 30 db for most parts, and yes as you stated they are Left hand and right hand circular.

I can recieve them here at my Belgium location on my 3.7mtr but they are by no means perfect typically 40-50% I estimate here the signals are around 32-34db.

I have not been able to lock the signals at my UK home on the 2.0 mtr at all and thats with a ADI RP1-400 feedhorn and PLL lnb

It might be soon though that some of these channels will be transfered to the new Express 1R recently positioned at 40.0 East

This may help since the foot print is larger with the Express 1R with a UK covarage for most parts

Regards

Old Satellite

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Thanks Jimbo and Old Satellite, I thought that they may be difficult , perhaps 40E will be a better option when it fires up. Otherwise its the few NTV channels on Hotbird for the immediate future, just as long as they stay with V1.

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
36 East Russian beam is as Old Satellite says, not for the man with small garden

5 East does however have channels from both Russia and the Ukraine (these being receiveable in the South of the UK with an 80 cm dish with no problems, and FTA)

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Cheers CH, just having a look through the channels, probably won't be enough Russian National channels, its for a customer whose Russian Parents are coming over to live, so purely being Russian language is not enough. But I'll have a good scan through all the same.

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Try and find out what language they are happy to watch in first, some Russians absolutely refuse to watch Ukranian, Georgian and so on

Then check what they are used to back home, some are patriotic to ORT, believing its the State owned channel of old, some prefer the revolutionary NTV, and then there is the NTV MIR which is a breakaway group on 5E with some real professional reporters.

On C band there is ORT and RTR (PAL SECAM) but the dish size then gets bigger

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Although i'm not certain about age, i would reckon that these are in their 60s, they speak no English, but when i mentioned to their daughter about a Georgian channel, it was as if I'd asked her to drink poison, so I guess that they'll be traditionalists.

I think that the dish size is going to be 80cm maximum, but i may use one of the Zone 2 minidishes, as it seems to work fine with hotbird.

Old Satellite

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Its a difficult one to resolve with the limitations you identify, at least for the moment as channel hopper confirmed you can hopefully recieve the 12380 H transponder at 5.0 east,while ever the use Viaccess 1 any ways.

Is the Rustava2 channel on Anatolia at 50.0 East of interest to them ?

http://www.lyngsat.com/anatolia1.shtml

Intelsat 904 at 60.0 east ( low on the UK horizon) carries some channels ntv etc, but the ERIP is likely to be around 38-40db for most of the UK.

Here in Belguim I am also able to recieve the Express 6 A satellite at 80.0 East this includes a wide selection of Russian channels. but unforuntely its below the horizon in the UK, and needs a large dish once more.

The Good news however is that Express 3R has almost completed its testing and the transponder signals appear to be very good into europe on both KU and C so hopefully in a few weeks your options will widen.

Regards

Old Satellite

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
With an 80cm you are really only guaranteed the NTV group from 13 East as Sirius is touch and go on the right transponders (did you ask about Ukranian or too frightened ?)

I also forgot about RTV on Hotbird which is Free to Air.

Anatolia TV seems to have a strange response through my receiver and drops out constantly, this being on a 1.8m antenna. Programme content seems to be good though , but too many 'reklama'

Old Satellite

Retired Mod
Reaction score
I agree the Siruis satellite is a little weak on a 80 CM for some transponders?

Stange I have not seen the problem that you highlight on Anatolia 50.0 East, its around 80% on the 2.0 mtr I will check this out this evening, to see if this satellite is may be out of targeted zone station keeping or in a small inclined orbit?

Regards

Old Satellite

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
This gives me an idea for a sticky thread, perhaps we could have a thread dedicated to Where can I find _____Channels?, then have one post on Football, one for FTA English language, one for Russian and other languages etc.

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Lyngsat already has a FREE TV by country system which works very well. Since it is recommended in most threads regarding hard to get channels, maybe it would be worth adding a sticky for similar useful websites

Football though. Why not other sports ? or even a thematic sticky, music and arts, education, kids programmes etc etc

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Didn't know about the Lyngsat feature, i'll check it out, with regard to the other point there can be a section for whatever is likely to be of interest.

Old Satellite

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Some good thoughts Rolf and channel hopper here, with a where can I find a channel with, you would cover a majoity of the questions i beleive.

I have not seen any site that provides this kind of help !

Regards

Old Satellite

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Yes, the more I think about it the better it sounds, I'm almost tempted to get Chris to set up a separate forum under that heading, but under the general Transponder parent group. Be interesting to get some input on suggestions on groupings, obviously to include the ones already mentioned.

pixey

Reaction score
My Location
South UK
I'm with you Rolf, I think that is a very good idea and you could take it as far as you like. Football is an obvious choice but it could include F1, Tennis, etc.. and does not have to stop at sport.
I know Lyngsat is an excellent site, but that doesn't mean that we can't have our "in house" version.

pixey

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Yes, i think with a bit of time spent on the format, we can do something a little different here Pixey. As you can see I've started up the forum, so now it only remains for people to start their information groups.

As I've said in the intro, we will try and keep it to one post per topic as an infromation panel and anyone wishing to add information can post in that thread, but the post can be deleted after the information has been entered. The names of any contributors can be added in a second post and be kept updated.

We're not trying to compete with Lyngsat, but perhaps deal with more specific criteria, refine the information and make it a little easier to retrieve at a glance.

If you have a favourite, one that you've perhaps built up your own database, then by all means kick off a thread. I may well edit them slightly eventually, so as to conform to some sort of standard, but otherwise feel free.