Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Channel Master 1.2 1224 H2H. Traix TD88. Sky+
Echostar 3600.
P4 2k. Broadband 2
My Location
Buckingamshire UK
Hi all

I am after a new laptop, and was wondering if anyone had experience of the Samsung range? I thought about a Sony, but they are over priced for what they are and cain the battery.

Anyone got any other suggestions.

I want something that wont drain the battery to quickly.
nice 15"+ display, good graphics card. DVD rewrite drive, wifi etc. 1gig+ of ram. (Guess thats pretty much the basic level anyway)

Cheers

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Some of the best I've seen have been Dell, nice performers and moderate pricing, the HP units a couple of my friends have are nice as well. :)

PoloMint

Super Minty Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1200cc with 100,000,000,000 neurons and 100,000,000,000,000 connections
My Location
Fife, Scotland
Some of the new Acer ranges are quite good also, as long as you keep a close eye on the spec. Don't necessarily look for ones that come with 1gig or ram as that's probably at the higher end of the range, check out some of the mid range ones then put extra ram in, that often works out cheaper.

What kind of processor are you looking for?

The slim HP ones are indeed nice, but more expensive than the Acers.

digiguy

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Echostar 3600.
P4 2k. Broadband 2
My Location
Buckingamshire UK
Hi

Thanks for that.

Processor hmmmm well. I have been told to look for Pentium M, Celeron or centrino. As dual core will run down the battery quickly. I've no experience of AMD, etc. I want to do video editing using a programme that will run on a basic p500. Web browsing dvd watching etc etc. Been looking at 1.75ghz up.. Yes the acer notebooks look nice :) I am using one now (borrowed from mum) It only has 256mb of ram, so it's struggling a bit :p

Cheers

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
Pentium processors are the power processors, Celeron are the budget ones. The M means mobile which has 2 effects. Firstly there's a lot less heat given out (about 25 watts compared to, I think, about 110 watts) and secondly the Pentium M processor is re-engineered so that it processes instructions more efficiently than the desktop variety. As a rule of thumb a 1GHz Pentium M is equivalent to about a 1.3GHz ordinary Pentium. I'm not sure whether the Celeron M processors are more efficient in processing but they are also lower in their power consumption than the desktop variety.

Centrino is not a processor but a specification laid down by Intel which includes power management capabilities and wireless communication.

Given the choice avoid desktop processors in a laptop and try to afford a Pentium M.

(And then there are the AMD alternatives - a whole new can or worms)

Hope this helps.

digiguy

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Echostar 3600.
P4 2k. Broadband 2
My Location
Buckingamshire UK
Thanks, that was a great help.