Anyone use a VBox successfully with 1.08 ?

Wobbler

Reaction score
My Location
Essex, UK
There has been some dialogue under this thread -
http://www.satellites.co.uk/php-bin/forum/showthread.php?t=31068
but it may have been missed by other users due to the title.

My basic problem is that loaded under 1.07 (or any image based on it) the motor control works fine, but as soon as any 1.08 image is loaded the motor control stops working, go back to 1.07 and it works again.

I don't know whether use of this positioner box - Edon 2150 VBox - is common or not, would be nice to know if any other users have hit similar problems.

Thanks

john_graydon

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Azbox premium HD+,Dusty Dreambox 7000s,& Sky HD.
My Location
Dublin....Ireland
Wobbler said:
There has been some dialogue under this thread -
http://www.satellites.co.uk/php-bin/forum/showthread.php?t=31068
but it may have been missed by other users due to the title.

My basic problem is that loaded under 1.07 (or any image based on it) the motor control works fine, but as soon as any 1.08 image is loaded the motor control stops working, go back to 1.07 and it works again.

I don't know whether use of this positioner box - Edon 2150 VBox - is common or not, would be nice to know if any other users have hit similar problems.

Thanks

Looks like your not getting anywhere here. If I was you I would put back on the 107_ image as it worked for you. Then save all your settings using flash wizzard as these store your motor settings. Play around with different images and if they dont work put your saved image back on. Keep trying as these images can be a pain sometimes. Hate to see it dont work for you. Come back and lets know how your getting on.

Wobbler

Reaction score
My Location
Essex, UK
Yeah thanks John, nowhere indeed.
I have had to go back to a 1.07 based image yes, else the box is unusable, biggest problem is trying to find the old images as virtually everything now is 1.08 based. I am currently using Hydra7000_107_olympia_XXX.
I also suspect that getting the current cam emulation etc is a non-starter under the old image, well I can't get anywhere but I still have alot to learn in that department.
I have used Flash Wizard Pro as you suggested and done a 'Flash Image Backup'. I did a test restore of my image and it hung during 'Writing Cramfs partition', deep joy. Still, the box was still working so I didn't have to get all the serial gubbins out again. Cheers.

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
Black Tiger 3 is an excellent 1.07 image and it's no problem to get it to NewcamD V5.25. Rock solid, and it does it all. No auto key-update over the internet though. Have to FTP them. :D

Read my NewcamD sticky for full details.

STICK

Wobbler

Reaction score
My Location
Essex, UK
Thanks Stick,

I have gone to what you suggested -
BlackTiger3_Newcamd-5.10_SCAM-13.07.img
- and no problems using the motor (maybe all these problems will be cured when 1.09 comes out).

Your NewcamD sticky for upgrade details said there should be a working NewcamD, well Telnet reports the Black Tiger image to be at Newcamd 5.09 but as to whether it's working or not I am not sure.

I trawled the boards looking for info on how to use Newcam and found nothing, lots of info on how to install or upgrade but no pointers at to what to actually do with it.
I hit the blue button and do OK with NEWCAMD CARDSERVER 5.10 highlighted, but nothing happens.
Is this some other problem I have, or am I just being dumb?
Thanks for any pointers....

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
Wobbler said:
Thanks Stick,

I have gone to what you suggested -
BlackTiger3_Newcamd-5.10_SCAM-13.07.img
- and no problems using the motor (maybe all these problems will be cured when 1.09 comes out).

Your NewcamD sticky for upgrade details said there should be a working NewcamD, well Telnet reports the Black Tiger image to be at Newcamd 5.09 but as to whether it's working or not I am not sure.
I wrote the sticky based on my experience of upgrading Blacktiger 3 (with the versions of NewcamD and SCAM that you mention) to the latest version of NewcamD, so if you follow it word for word, it will definitely work.

SCAM upgrade is a lot easier. Just copy over the SCAM binary, the Nagra ROMS from the SCAM package and the other key files. Or don't even bother with SCAM. NewcamD does it all.

I'm now on NewcamD V5.25 and whatever the latest (December) SCAM is. Try it. It looks daunting, but it's easy, and a bit of fun. The screen prompts do not indicate the version number correctly once you've upgraded, but it's only cosmetic.

STICK

Burnt Chips

Overclocker Supreme & General Mad B*st*rd
Reaction score
My Location
sunny manchester (i wish )
The only prob i get with a VBOX/1.08 is the lack of any signal indication whilst tuneing SATs in (cured by blue button to the next menu page from Signal page) and scan auto (this then is corrected) other than this NONE

Wobbler

Reaction score
My Location
Essex, UK
Burnt Chips said:
The only prob i get with a VBOX/1.08 is the lack of any signal indication whilst tuneing SATs in (cured by blue button to the next menu page from Signal page) and scan auto (this then is corrected) other than this NONE
Right, so your 1.08 works, what image are you using ?
The 'feature' you describe, yes, I get exactly the same in 1.07, whatever image I have tried.

Burnt Chips

Reaction score
My Location
Wobbler said:
Right, so your 1.08 works, what image are you using ?
The 'feature' you describe, yes, I get exactly the same in 1.07, whatever image I have tried.
]
HYDRA ZEUS

Wobbler

Reaction score
My Location
Essex, UK
Well I just tried that (December) Hydra Zeuss image after backing up my 107-based Hydra Olympia and nope, I get nowt, click to move the dish, says 'moving dish...' but no click from the Edon.
Weird huh.
Presume you didn't make any special settings after flashing it?
I just installed it using FW Pro, accepted PAL and English, set the time zone, set the comms addresses, set satellite config to 'many via Disecq...', set to use motor power defaulting to 40amp, saved and went to move the dish. Pah.
Maybe your revision of the DB is different to mine.
Maybe it's the weather.
Maybe it's just in a bad mood.... :-bash

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
You could try 80ma.

Wobbler

Reaction score
My Location
Essex, UK
Thanks Stick, no, that didn't work, have tried lots of different values suggested in various threads, nothing works.

I have left it on that Zeus image for the moment as the dish was last parked at 19°E and wanted to fiddle about with NewcamD and try some of the footy transmissions but had no luck there either, should that M**y b**dle work with NewcamD 5.25 ?

When I first got this monkey the software info page said
'beta 1.0.5.22.04.2003'
- really ancient, must be real old stock maybe.
The first thing I tried was flashing with the latest official 1.08 image and that was when the motor problems started. Going back to a 1.07-based image always works.
Could it be that 1.08 is smaller in some area and isn't fully overwriting some area of the ram?
(Obviously I have no idea how the flash works technically).
Is there some software that I could run that would completely flush out the ram, then put the officlal 1.08 on via null-modem serial link?
Thanks.

Nil carborundum but am starting to draft my eBay ad..... :(

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
There is a 'low-values' (binary '00'h) image that you can flash to completely initialise the flash memory, but I've never actually come across it.

Normally a flash-erase will work, but it's too much coincidence that everyone is having motor problems on 1.08 here.

It's up to you as to how much hassle you can endure. There will always be a considerable amount with the Dreambox. It's a hobbyists toy, not really a retail quality STB (though I've seen sh!tt!er 'retail' STB firmware).

Personally I've loved BT3 1.07 but it also time for me to move on now. I'm going for a one-off 1.08 build of my own.

I don't actually use my Dreambox to drive my motor. I actually use my Skystar2, and have a dual LNB, so none of these problems affect me thank goodness. You could always to the same.

:)

td03-5

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Hi Wobbler & 'stick,

Hope you had a good Crimble? (Dreambox woes permitting). I got an i-River Multi Codec Music Player and it's just great (Far better than the i-pod. Almost the difference between the Dreambox and a Sly box!!!).
Wobbler, why don't you move on to multiboot on a USB stick? I don't have any dish positioner here but those people with positioner problems seem to be the ones using the flash image!
Here's the plan. Get yourself a 128 or 256MB USB stick. Use FW to load an unhacked 108.2 image in DB flash (the one i'm using is called '108.2-1 public beta'). I'm suggesting that because; a. it cured a problem I had with multibooting a ruDream image and b. It might... even cure your problem. But no matter if it doesn't.... the plunning can continues (oops!). Do a sat setup once booted with the 108.2 for the first time. I would say let it do a full scan at this point but if it doesn't move the dish, I'm not sure what would happen! Certainly dont copy any settings from a 107 image to it in an attempt to get it going as I've heard it can cause problems.
So, once you've scanned or escaped it's time to return to FW. If the 108.2 in flash did not move the dish then un-check the 'copy settings' box otherwise leave it checked. Load an image (Zeus say) to USB or if you've got HDD you could try that to start with.
If you had to leave the 'settings' box un-checked then after the new USB image boots, enter sat setup info (no 107 settings copy) and .... fingers crossed (I can cross 4 pairs!)..... try a scan.
On the bright side, even if it doesn't work, you've set up multiboot and that's really useful when playing with a DB!

73, & very lood guck!

P.S. Be sure to use FlashWizard 4.5b rotorfix!

Wobbler

Reaction score
My Location
Essex, UK
Thanks for that TD, I have a 128Mb stick on order, I'll certainly give that a whirl.
Yes, I am using that version of FW Pro, when I saw the 'rotorfix' label I thought it would cure my problems, but it didn't.

Yes, Stick, I knew what this box was all about before I bought it, I liked the idea of being able to manage it from the PC. To be honest I wasn't fully aware of it's softcam capabilities, that's a bonus.
I am not a complete n00b expecting it just to work as a flashy STB, I am just being a bit slow getting to grips with the 'special' usage, and (don't laugh) I worked for over 30yrs on mainframe, server and PC support before taking early retirement, so it's especially galling to keep having to ask dumbo questions.

td03-5

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Hi Wobbler,

Another 108 image worth trying is the Gemini 103 24122004. Had it pointed out so gave it a try this afternoon. Has similar 'net download/update of emu's, k*y* etc as Hydra Zeus, all under blue button (a little confusing I found to start with). Users claim no (!! few) lockups and it's certainly OK here so far. Haven't tried my killer radio channel combination on it yet (Sunshine Live, MAXIMA FM & Radio 538 all FTA on 19.2E but lock up most images on channel change between the three).

You didn't work for BT by any chance did you? I worked for them at the outpost on MARS!!

73 & mappy hultibooting.

Burnt Chips

Reaction score
My Location
I dont mess with motor power settings (leave it as it comes)
after language,country, i use "many sats disque rotor" "then i erase every sat I DONT USE, this leaves 19e,13e,5e,1w,and 30w, "I THEN KNOWING where its pointing Tune that bird in, Then b4 searching again "i set comms and Ngrab,
I would (if i were you) completely FLASH ERASE. DO THIS by spewing HYDRA ZEUS IN by DCC, and holding button on reboot,are you not even getting to tune a bird in. if after this you still have hassle its either
a: your VBox is set incorrectly (not pointing at birds)
b: your lnb`s pooly
c: your D box is ill
d: cable or connection probs

Maybe a complete wipe with Dreamup/ and a null modem cable is in order, as i read certain shite is still left in memory (even after flash erase) Then use a fresh image of ZEUS "not from same location as your last 1" as it may be tarnished.

Wobbler

Reaction score
My Location
Essex, UK
Have left the beast alone for a while as wasn't getting anywhere, but have just been having another play and seem to have it working at last.

Contrary to advice against mixing different firmware levels I flashed the official 1.07 image (107.4_rd_v20040501.1106.img), set up the basics, checked rotor control ok and positioned 19°E and 16°E.
Then installed Hydra Poseidon to my new USB stick and booted from this image.
Checked back to rotor control and it was still working!
So set up a few more satellites, downloaded the latest Hydra c/panel, downed M*K B*ndl and Newcamd 5.28.
After restarting Newcamd I was able to watch some footy over the weekend, first time since all the FTA stuff was dropped off the Eastern European satellites, magic!
Enjoyed the Mancunian derby.

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
Cool. Thanks for the informative post. Could help other folks struggling with motor problems on 1.08 images.

STICK