Apart from mature content....

spleech

Reaction score
Analoguesat said:
For starters, have a look through the packages on this page

hxxp://www.lyngsat.com/packages/europe.html

and decide which one(s) you are most interested in.

Note the encryption it uses over on the right of each column, then look at the relevant section here

hxxp://www.satellites.co.uk/php-bin/forum/index.php?

Note - whilst Sky Italia is open at the moment, its likely to disappear totally behind the secure Videoguard in the Spring.

Sky UK cant be hacked at the moment, so dont expect that one, and once you are set up remember that your investment (time and money) could be knocked out at any time by an encryption or major code change.
Cheers Analoguesat,

Sorry if my questions are stupid, but I am really getting to grips with this thanks to your help and from the others here.

Sky Italia for example, the films are in English?

When I find a 'package' and note what type of encryption is used, is it just a case of buying the right CAM, or is that where cards and programmers come into play?

spleech

Reaction score
Analoguesat said:
You might want to check out the Dreambox section too - this is probably the ultimate receiver at the moment, but it is most definitely not for the beginner to the hobby - basically its a satellite receiver based on a linux computer. There are a couple of excellent guides available for download on the dreambox section, but you really have a steep learning curve if yo go this way.
Thanks again Analoguesat,

I was wondering what Dreambox meant. This appeals to me somewhat as IT is my thing.

spleech

Reaction score
Milkybarkid said:
I would buy a Dragon and a suitable progger,after reading through various sat forums so you can learn how to use the Dragon and progger,and also check out Lyngsat to see what's available and see which sat or sats you need to point at to get the channels you want. Plenty of info on the net if you can spend some time taking it all in.
Thanks Milkybarkid,

A Dragon is a CAM yes?

suitable progger? Can you suggest one? What software do these use? Is it downloadable?

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
spleech said:
Cheers Analoguesat,

Sorry if my questions are stupid, but I am really getting to grips with this thanks to your help and from the others here.

Sky Italia for example, the films are in English?

When I find a 'package' and note what type of encryption is used, is it just a case of buying the right CAM, or is that where cards and programmers come into play?

No problem - none of the regulars on here mind answering sensible questions. Not sure about the Sky Italia movies, i thinks some of them have dual sound tracks.

Taking Sky Italia for an example - you need a system capable of decoding S*ca (mediaguard) version 2. And yes this is where the cards and cams come in. :ch3

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Spleech

Since you have the receiver and a Seca CAM, have you looked at the Cine FX and Polar (and other French channel) on Astra - 12692 for the films ?, they are often in English .

On Hotbird you would also get the ABSat channels including Action - though Ive yet to see anything in English there

spleech

Reaction score
Channel Hopper said:
Spleech

Since you have the receiver and a S*ca CAM, have you looked at the Cine FX and Polar (and other French channel) on Astra - 12692 for the films ?, they are often in English .
Hi Channel Hopper,

Thanks, I haven't, but will now!

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
The TPS package will give you quite a few movie channels, with maybe 15 - 20% available in English.

spleech

Reaction score
BGonaSTICK said:
The TPS package will give you quite a few movie channels, with maybe 15 - 20% available in English.
Cheers BGonaSTICK,

I've just looked up TPS and I see it is on Hotbird. How come all the Hotbird satellites are at 13 degrees? (is that correct, tune into one and you get them all?) Also I see it uses Viaaccess encryption which I'll asume is the same as my Humax 5300 has embedded, however the TPS film channels also seem to use Mediaguard, can this be overcome?

Why do some names (like S*ca) have * in them in here?

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
spleech said:
Cheers BGonaSTICK,

I've just looked up TPS and I see it is on Hotbird. How come all the Hotbird satellites are at 13 degrees? (is that correct, tune into one and you get them all?) Also I see it uses Viaaccess encryption which I'll asume is the same as my Humax 5300 has embedded, however the TPS film channels also seem to use Mediaguard, can this be overcome?

Why do some names (like S*ca) have * in them in here?

There not - Hotbird 5 is at 26E masquerading as Arabsat 2d!!:D However, yes you are correct aboutthem being co-located, get one, you get them all. Its like the 4 satellites supplying Sky at 28E.

As for the *'s. Many forums dont allow encryption names to be used, so folks tend to automatically put a * in the name. Theres no problem on this one, although I think the software that the forum runs on is currently changing some . if i writw s e c a m properly it will be altered : S*cam

Edit - yup the "e" has automatically been *'d.

spleech

Reaction score
I see,

And the Mediaguard, can that be overcome?

I own a unused blue Titanium card, what is the best way I can utilise this? (I do not mind buying a programmer and another CAM etc)

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Start off with the simple things, and the basic equipment you have

Receiver, Seca Cam and updated gold card will get you the French basic and film channels in Mediaguard. The titanium will also get these, and maybe a bit more, but you need to look for one of the later codes on the net

spleech

Reaction score
Channel Hopper said:
Start off with the simple things, and the basic equipment you have

Receiver, S*ca Cam and updated gold card will get you the French basic and film channels in Mediaguard. The titanium will also get these, and maybe a bit more, but you need to look for one of the later codes on the net
Cheers,

I feel I'm getting somewhere :)

I do not have a gold card, can I get the later codes on the titanium card without a programmer? (ie using the receiver and remote).

If I need a programmer, can you suggest a decent USB one, that is easy to use?

Thanks

spleech

Reaction score
I have just purchased an Infinity USB Pheonix programmer and Fun 5 card. (Get delivery tomorrow) Hope this is suitable for the sort of thing I want (and to play with)!

If anyone can give me links/advice, that would be great

Thanks

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
I dont think the Fun card will function in the CAM you have (some may be able to correct me )

If not then try the Titanium

spleech

Reaction score
Channel Hopper said:
I dont think the Fun card will function in the CAM you have (some may be able to correct me )

If not then try the Titanium

I got the whole lot as a package with next-day delivery for £55, still I hope I can use it for something.

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK

blackninja

Reaction score
You probably need to get something like an Opos Card to clear the above channels. Costs about £45 but probably worth it and when Sky Italia encryption totally changes (in March?) to VideoCrypt you've still got Digital+/TPS/Multivision/Conax. The x in 1 files (i.e. all the above) work on my Freecam and the Seca files work on a Seca Cam I borrowed. Not sure about Magic Cam; TPS/Multivision/Conax will apparently work on Seca Cams if you turn them to 'BeefSeca' (whatever that is - think you can do it using PCMIA slots on your Computer).

spleech said:
please explain what is rosy at the moment? The card I was using in my Aston S*ca hasn't been do-able for 2 months or more...where should I be looking?