Apart from mature content....

spleech

Reaction score
I have a humax 5300 pointed at Astra and a freeXTV card. I have Aston S*ca and Magic CAMs available.

My question is what English language channels (apart from mature content) can I receive? And what can I do to get more? What would I get from adding a monoblock LNB (for Hotbird as well).

I am quite into the idea of cards and card programming but unlike the d2mac days, it seems no codes are available.

I don't mind experimenting, how are the quality films got nowadays?

G

guest user

You got your MTV channels in english and a few dutch channels like RTL 4,5 what show alot of english shows with subs not much else on Astra1.

Im not that sure about hotbird I think TPS and Polsat is still hackable on Mulitivision 8 shows Premiership football

:chc

spleech

Reaction score
Thanks modern,

forgetting Astra/Hotbird for a while then, what satellite has a good variety of films and progs in English? Either using a legit card or hacked card. What about Canal+ and TV1000? I cannot seem to find much info on cards and card programers (and codes) where can this be found?

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Im not surprised you cant find anything about TV1000 - its transmitted in the secure Videoguard encryption.

spleech

Reaction score
thanks (especially CB65 excellent link).

Where can I find info on card programming and how to locate codes?

What are the best channels available for the least hassle?

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Loads of info about programming all over this site - use the search function (no codes or hexes hosted here, so dont bother looking for them). Links to code site can be found in "Nobbly Big Links" section which is on the front page of the forum.

BTW - the channels with the least hassle are the fta ones :) :D Anything else can take time and money to open, with no guarantee they will still be there next week.

spleech

Reaction score
thanks Analoguesat,

I have seen the questions re programming but I was kinda looking for a beginners guide.

Re fta ones, in your opinion what is the single best satellite for a good mix of English progs?

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
28E Sky for English programming!!

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Ah but you didnt ask that did you ;) The biggest variety of English channels that are free in one way or another is still 28E, although you have to be a fan of some really minority interests, or like shopping. :D

What programming are you looking for? Theres a lot of news broadcasts in the clear on assorted satellites, with 13E being the best.

spleech

Reaction score
Analoguesat said:
Ah but you didnt ask that did you ;) .
sorry I thought fta was free to air (meaning free)

What I'm after is an alternative to Sky. I do not mind an initial outlay, and am not trying to achieve this for free. What I do not want is a contract and monthly payments, also I'd enjoy the setting up and challenge of it.

I am not after top film channels I am after a reasonable mix of alternative entertainment channels to normal TV (which could include films, sport, music, news etc)

I already have the equipment outlined above, and do not mind experimenting with a 2nd dish. I do not mind buying CAMS/legal cards/cards etc to do this. My computer knowledge is good.

Thanks

Milkybarkid

Reaction score
Many in the UK use Sky FTA and buy a Freeview box for DTT.No monthly outlay and a reasonable selection of radio and TV.Cams,cards and proggers can add much more if you are willing to put in the effort although nothing is guaranteed for any length of time,but at the moment things are rosy. :chc

spleech

Reaction score
Milkybarkid said:
but at the moment things are rosy. :chc
please explain what is rosy at the moment? The card I was using in my Aston Seca hasn't been do-able for 2 months or more...where should I be looking?

Milkybarkid

Reaction score
TPS,Multivision,Cyfra+,Conax,Taquilla,Cabo,Sky Italia. I'd call that rosy. :ny

spleech

Reaction score
Milkybarkid said:
TPS,Multivision,Cyfra+,Conax,Taquilla,Cabo,Sky Italia. I'd call that rosy. :ny
Sounds good, what do I need to do it? Where should I look?

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Give us a chance - a lot of the experts in the pay tv field will be away from their computers over the christmas holiday period.

For starters, have a look through the packages on this page

hxxp://www.lyngsat.com/packages/europe.html

and decide which one(s) you are most interested in.

Note the encryption it uses over on the right of each column, then look at the relevant section here

hxxp://www.satellites.co.uk/php-bin/forum/index.php?

Note - whilst Sky Italia is open at the moment, its likely to disappear totally behind the secure Videoguard in the Spring.

Sky UK cant be hacked at the moment, so dont expect that one, and once you are set up remember that your investment (time and money) could be knocked out at any time by an encryption or major code change.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
You might want to check out the Dreambox section too - this is probably the ultimate receiver at the moment, but it is most definitely not for the beginner to the hobby - basically its a satellite receiver based on a linux computer. There are a couple of excellent guides available for download on the dreambox section, but you really have a steep learning curve if yo go this way.

Milkybarkid

Reaction score
spleech said:
Sounds good, what do I need to do it? Where should I look?

I would buy a Dragon and a suitable progger,after reading through various sat forums so you can learn how to use the Dragon and progger,and also check out Lyngsat to see what's available and see which sat or sats you need to point at to get the channels you want. Plenty of info on the net if you can spend some time taking it all in.