Apollo 3 programmer for funcard

sailor

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
Malaga, Spain
Help needed . If somebody familiar with Apollo 3 programmer, please advise if it is needed to reconfigure paralell port on PC. I am trying different software.Funprom, Funmagic , erasing, alternating between 2 files ( flash and ext.eeprom) and 3 files ( flash,ext and int. eeprom ). All in vain. Nothing but error messages. Looks like my PC and programmer are not communicating. There is no manual and I don.t have a clue how to configur paralell port.
Many thanks. Sailor

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
What operating system are you using sailor?

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
There is not much that can be changed with the Printer port, I've just looked in device manager and the only thing that might help is "enable support for Legacy Plug n Play devices", but XP is not particularly friendly to some of this software and hardware.

sailor

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
Malaga, Spain
It is enabled. does it mean that I am in the dead end. Difficult to accept that I have latest OS , programmer for funcards ,software for this programmer and unable to find a proper guidance how to use them together....Thanks anyways

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
No. I'm sure that its not the end of the road Sailor, but simply the case that there are not a lot of users of these parallel port programmers, so advice and information is always going to be hard to come by. This is one of the main reasons why when someone asks advice on which programmer, I always steer them towards something like the Elvis, not because its the definitive best, but because there is no shortage of qualified advice available from the many users.

I'll keep my eyes open for any information around.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Just an idea Sailor, can you get access go another PC, perhaps one running W98? Even if you can't get permanent access, at least it would establish whether you are doing things correctly.

sailor

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
Malaga, Spain
Exellent idea Rolf. I am working on it. Say, I am as new to a computers as to programming ,so this question may look silly, but Can I install Window 98 alongside with my XP on the same PC????

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Yes you can Sailor, but unless you want to format your existing hard drive before doing it and then repartitioning, you would have to add another hard drive. This is exactly what I have done, but have found that I never use the 98se anymore.

jimbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky HD, TM6800HD, Manhattan Plaza ST550 and TM1500 CI+. 1.0m dish and 36v motor, Panasonic DVD HDD recorder and Panasonic video/DVD recorder. Sony G800 HD TV stand/surround system + Sony KDL40W2000. Infinity USB, Elvis, CAS1, CAS2.
My Location
Greater London
There is of course the utility Partition Magic (version 8) which will create partitions 'on the fly'. If it's possible to use that and load another operating system then a program like ‘BootIT NG’ is useful at handling multi operating systems (free downloads available I believe). Carrying out this sort of thing can be tricky and possibly not the best option for a complete newbie. (No offence sailor).

sailor

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
Malaga, Spain
Thanks jimbo. No offence taken. True, this procedure with reformating and repartitioning is a bit complicated for me at this junction. I will opt for using friend's PC to check if my problem indeed in OS.
Let you know. Thanks guys

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
I would agree with you Jimbo, its all a lot of messing around, will involve expense and may be troublesome. May be better biting the bullet and buying an Elvis for £50.

sailor

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
Malaga, Spain
Good thinking. Elvis is on my wish list, but I am too stubborn to give up just yet. I must crack this case or I won't advance.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Where did you get the Apollo 3 programmer from Sailor?

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Just had alook on the Satarmy.de site Sailor, did you download the drivers as well as the programming software? It doesn't say much about it there, but that could be a problem if you haven't, I would guess that it has to be installed as a new device.

Just downloaded the software and under help, it has this info.
System requirements for the Hex Editor:
Microsoft Windows 95/98 or Microsoft NT
Pentium 90Mhz or higher processor
32 MB of RAM

I don't think that this will work with XP, unless you right click on the exe file and use the properties option to run as compatible with win 98, this may do the trick, either that or install the NT drivers under the system drop down in the program and then run under NT emulation.

sailor

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
Malaga, Spain
I bought mine in electronic store in Malaga, Spain. You can see them online http://www.electronicasuiza.com/textos/es_entrada_old.html
When site opens, click Programadores on the left side. If your Spanish better then mine you can also read http://www.zackyfiles.com There you need to click on Grabadores also on the left side. At least in something they are consistant.
Have fun.
P.S. somehow in preview pane url for Electronica Suiza is correct, but on board copy some simbols are missing.. I am trying to edit it and again it opens in correct version. Here it is again:
http://www.electronicasuiza.com/textos/es_entrada_old.html

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Have you tried the emulation mode, in the properties menu Sailor?

sailor

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
Malaga, Spain
I am not exactly sure Rolf how to handle emulation ?
There is something strange with board. I twise corrected internet address and then both times final copy missing some letters within address.
It shoud read .......textos/es_entrada...., not ...textos...ntrada....

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
The link works fine sailor, the forum software just shortens it for the visual..

To emulate an earlier version of windows, you must go to the original EXE file of the Fun programmer, right click on it and click on properties from the menu, select Comatability from the top of the panel and then tick the compatability box and select windows 98 in the drop down menu. The program may well run properly.

I don't think it will run under XP without that option and even that is not guaranteed.