Are DVDs in Europe and the USA the same?

N

nic_turbo

Besides from the electrical outlets? I have been getting conflicting stories about this.

Thanks, Nic

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Yes Nic, if you're referring to the software. I have an all region DVD player and quite happily play all zones including the USA zone one. What will vary is the output from the player itself, my unit puts out RGB (which is universal) and PAL composite one of the european standards, there is no RF output.

Rolf

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Not so fast

If you are intending on bringing one back, check that the power supply is rated up to 240 volts

Whilst the ones over here (except the cheapest nastiest one I saw last week) seem to work from 88 volts all the way to 240, there is a good possibility that one made for the States will only function up to 210 volts due to the components fitted in the PSU

Apart from that there is also the Y/C output that may well be missing from the US units

If you havent got one yet I would seriously wait for another three months until the recordable DVD players arrive from the Far East, they are alrready in Dubai and cost $460 but are falling (thay were $700 in August)

N

nic_turbo

I think I might wait then. I'm in the procces of moving from the U.S. to Sweden. I will be going forth and back for another 4 months, before the final move. Most electrical things we are bringing will work with an adapter. That new recordable might be a good option.

I guess Asia have yet another version, why not make it all the same?

I went and loooked at DVD players here in the U.S. yesterday, the cheap ones goes for like 60$. I thought that was a good price, when they first came out they would go for like 300$-and up. In Sweden the cheap ones go for about 3000SEK=About 300$.

Would it make sense to purchase any electronical items while still here in the USA? I have a direct TV setup here in the U.S. and I will wait to get my satellite stuff in Sweden.

Thanks guys, Nic

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Best thing to come out of the US (apart from the English some 200 years ago) are Gerber multi use penknives - you can find them at most WallMarts in the hunter section - get the one with most tools in the handle

They also have some unique CB gear at most trade shops (I saw a 400W AM rig going at $100 last year). Then theres the 2 mile range walkie talkies for $70

Leave the other American Electronics at home

N

nic_turbo

I have had people asking me to bring certain clothes, like Levis jeans. I think otherwise some power tools or regular tools could be something to bring with me, but heck its just more stuff to ship. I thought about bringing my Chevrolet Pickup Truck, but it uses way to much gas and with European gas prices I better not, and I'm sure it would become a rust bucket in about 1 year.

What are gas prices by the way? Here in Dallas it is like 90 Cents for one gallon(1 gallon=3.82??? Liter). And in Sweden it is like 10SEK(1$) per liter.

May be better to get a train pass!

Have a Happy New Years,

Nic

BarMoo

Post Meister
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
2xPace 430N, 1xNokia MM9800, 1xNokia 80cm Sat Dish, 1xGibertini 120cm, Big Fat Furry Puss
My Location
Berlin, Germany.
Dear all,

don't forget that as part of EU harmonisation a couple of years ago, the UK voltage was reduced to between 220 and 230 volts. Actual - I don't know. I live in Berlin. Currently 226 volts.

Mark.

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Youre right

This house is presently sitting stable at 223V, but I know it rises somewhat in the evenings

A US made machine is still going to have trouble with 220V +, usually the ceramic filters in the primary of the power supply.

BarMoo

Post Meister
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
2xPace 430N, 1xNokia MM9800, 1xNokia 80cm Sat Dish, 1xGibertini 120cm, Big Fat Furry Puss
My Location
Berlin, Germany.
>This house is presently sitting stable at 223V, but I know
>it rises somewhat in the evenings

Bit late in the reply, but, why do I have a feeling you stuck something into a couple of holes to find that out.

I had :-)

Have Fun,

Mark.