are Free To View cards interchangeable

jon cann

Reaction score
Website
www.intursports.com
My Satellite Setup
Pace 2200 Sky Digital Box, cheapo LNB0.3db,
80cm offset dish in Germany.
1.35m Offset Dish, Pace 2600 Sky Digi Box. Invacom Twin LNB. In Spain.
My Location
Benicasim, Spain
are Sky Free To View cards interchangeable from box to box without needing to telephone sky to tell them?

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
jon cann said:
are Sky Free To View cards interchangeable from box to box without needing to telephone sky to tell them?

Yes they should be, they only require pairing for the subscription and PPV services

jon cann

Reaction score
Website
www.intursports.com
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Benicasim, Spain
ah good, i'm thinking of buying a new box from ebay or somewhere, and this helps solve my problem!

jon cann

Reaction score
Website
www.intursports.com
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Benicasim, Spain
also, is it possible for me to subscribe online to setanta sport through this card? despite not being in the UK, and also having no standard subscription?

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Topper said:
Yes they should be, they only require pairing for the subscription and PPV services

They only need pairing for sport movies & adult stuff. The normal family pack channels worth just dinkum in any box.

iceman

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
3.0m Motorised Channel Master + 4 fixed dish Amstrad_DRX890C
DM7020s,DM800se
UNOHM EP314 PROMAX TV Explorer
My Location
Kyrenia - NORTH CYPRUS
jon cann said:
also, is it possible for me to subscribe online to setanta sport through this card? despite not being in the UK, and also having no standard subscription?

To my knowledge,Freeview cards cannot be upgraded..

koansrc

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
CM 3.0m @ 28.2 w PACE
My Location
Athens-Greece
Hey folk, I'm missing something here. Why/how can freeview cards be paired for movies and sport ? Do you mean take out a SKY Subscription ?

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
We were just making a general point. Subs / ftv cards are completely interchangeable between boxes until you get the premium level (movies & sport). Only then do you need to get them paired.

koansrc

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
CM 3.0m @ 28.2 w PACE
My Location
Athens-Greece
Analoguesat said:
Subs / ftv cards are completely interchangeable between boxes until you get the premium level (movies & sport). Only then do you need to get them paired.

Oh ! So a sub card with only mixes and no movies or sport is interchangeable ?

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Yes :) My old Grundig digibox expired in the summer, and I bought a new box. Ive never bothered ringing sky to get it paired and its fine as we only have the family pack. (Adult freeviews dont work - you get the "Wrong card for this box" message :D

jon cann

Reaction score
Website
www.intursports.com
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Benicasim, Spain
iceman said:
To my knowledge,Freeview cards cannot be upgraded..

what if it used to be a suscription card?

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
jon cann said:
If it was your own subscription then you would simply be resubscribing. If it's someone else's old card then AFAIK $ly won't reuse the card and will send you a new one as you will be a new customer and therefore subject to the new customer 12 month minimum contract.

Not sure whether it's the same with the $ly FTV cards nowadays but back in the days of the BBC FTV cards if you wanted to "upgrade" then a new card was sent to you even though $ly had issued the card on behalf of the Beeb.

iceman

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM7020s,DM800se
My Location
Kyrenia - NORTH CYPRUS
jon cann said:

What i meant was,if a card is issued as a Free view card by SKY,that card cannot be upgraded for subscription viewing...

iceman

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM7020s,DM800se
My Location
Kyrenia - NORTH CYPRUS
PaulR said:
If it was your own subscription then you would simply be resubscribing. If it's someone else's old card then AFAIK $ly won't reuse the card and will send you a new one as you will be a new customer and therefore subject to the new customer 12 month minimum contract.

Not sure whether it's the same with the $ly FTV cards nowadays but back in the days of the BBC FTV cards if you wanted to "upgrade" then a new card was sent to you even though $ly had issued the card on behalf of the Beeb.

still the same procedure M8...
Thats what i tried to explain to jon cann

jon cann

Reaction score
Website
www.intursports.com
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Benicasim, Spain
right,
thanks for the help guys. think i will just stick to ftv

jtkeep

Reaction score
Question if my sister who lives in UK bought a FTV card, or a Sky sub card with the family pack.

Can she then send it to me in Denmark, or does it have to be activated in a sky digibox in UK forst, or can i just put it in my Pace 2600 here in Demark and it will get activated in my box?

I dont need movies or sports.

All the best and a good new year to you all.
Thomas

iceman

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM7020s,DM800se
My Location
Kyrenia - NORTH CYPRUS
jtkeep said:
Question if my sister who lives in UK bought a FTV card, or a Sky sub card with the family pack.

Can she then send it to me in Denmark, or does it have to be activated in a sky digibox in UK forst, or can i just put it in my Pace 2600 here in Demark and it will get activated in my box?

I dont need movies or sports.

All the best and a good new year to you all.
Thomas

Freeview cards need to be activated as well as a subscription card...once activated They both work/update in any skybox.
An activated freeview card can be bought off the net but a subscription card has to be ordered from SKY,and they don't come activated...She can order the card from SKY and once it arrives to her UK address she can send it to you...All you have to do is stick the card in your skybox and she can then call SKY to have the activation signal sent..
Don't forget,before she calls SKY she will need your box/card details which are available from menu>services>system details screen...

R

Rd100

If you buy a brand new freesat from sky card in the uk and are the account holder (they have your details from when you ordered the card) if you want pay channels any time in the future they can add them if you call them up and set up a direct debit,

But if you have a ex-subscribers card E.G one which came with a box from ebay etc you can not upgrade to a pay package the same goes for a second hand freesat from sky card if it was some one else freesat £20 card before you had it they will not upgrade it to pay tv as it has some one elses details on it,

Jumile

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7025+ with LT5, Penta 85 dish, Sky+
My Location
Berkshire
Unless I'm misunderstanding something, there seems to be some FUD going on about free-to-view Sky "house" cards and Setanta. I was a Sky, then Sky+, subscriber for a number of years, then cancelled my subscription. It meant that I effectively became a Freesat from Sky user without any of the subscription channels and no recording capability (grrr).

Then a few months later I decided I wanted NASN, so called Setanta and subscribed to their package. All I had to do was tell them my "house" card number, give them some bank account details, and that was that. It was running within 10 minutes of my call.

To clarify: Sky+ box and dish, Sky blue/"house" card (no money going to Sky), and a Setanta subscription added on to it months later. It's what I'm currently running.

devonbrown

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
4 systems. In Scotland Freesat with Humax Foxsat recorder. In Algarve 1.5 fixed Inv Quad LNB with 3 Pace 2600C1 and 1 Amstrad HD DRX780UK also 80cm dish with Inverto 0.2db monoblock LNB (19.2E/26E) feeding Technomate 5000CI+ usb.
My Location
Scotlandl and Algarve
jon cann said:
There are 2 problems with this. 1 is that as Setanta checks the MAC addy of the subscriber it knows that you are not in UK or Ireland and it does not let you subscribe online. I know I tried. 2 is that Setanta will only let someone subscribe if the card is registered to the address that is requesting the subscripton. Having said this once subscribed the Setanta subscription is NOT married to the box and can be therefore be moved to where ever you wish. Iceman I have a subscription to Setanta with a Freeview card