bog standard
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80 cm dish hh motor teco tm1000 dreambox 7020
cas 3interface
dragon cam.promax tv explorer 2.
My Location
norwich
We took out a viasat rental the other day. Just had a call the chap he's been using his domestic system in place of our system to show footy matches. He's now been collared by sky. To my surprise no fines or court cases, just had to sign up for a year sub with bsb. He was also told by the rep that sky had no problems with pubs using european satellite as long as they had sky as well. i wonder how water tight their t&c are on using domestic sky in pubs. they seem to be avoiding the courts like a plague

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Bizarre on many levels!

Unsurprisingly the approach taken here demostrates BSkyB are primarily motivated by Revenue, not by the moral/legal high ground.

And, considering the high cost of any package for half-way acceptable use in Pubs, I wonder if some Landlords wouldn't do better to remember that a great many of us stopped going to pubs precisely because of the emphasis on "Sky Sports". ie They spent a lot of money to attract new customers whilst at the very same time driving many more away.

Lose, lose.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Tivù said:
Bizarre on many levels!

Unsurprisingly the approach taken here demostrates BSkyB are primarily motivated by Revenue, not by the moral/legal high ground.

And, considering the high cost of any package for half-way acceptable use in Pubs, I wonder if some Landlords wouldn't do better to remember that a great many of us stopped going to pubs precisely because of the emphasis on "Sky Sports". ie They spent a lot of money to attract new customers whilst at the very same time driving many more away.

Lose, lose.

And the landlords kept putting the beer prices up to cover their Sky subs and made it completely uneconomic to go out for a few beers with your mates - I havent been out for a pint in our locals for 3-4 years now

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Tivù said:
I wonder if some Landlords wouldn't do better to remember that a great many of us stopped going to pubs precisely because of the emphasis on "Sky Sports". ie They spent a lot of money to attract new customers whilst at the very same time driving many more away.

I am in the latter group, and to be honest, can't think of any friends that are the 'new' customer since they already have either a subscription or a 'real' season ticket for their club.

moosegoose

bog standard
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80 cm dish hh motor teco tm1000 dreambox 7020
cas 3interface
dragon cam.promax tv explorer 2.
My Location
norwich
Tivù said:
Bizarre on many levels!

Lose, lose.
totally 100% agree with that. we had a bit in the eveing news about pubs going under. One of the pubs blamed the rising cost of screening premier league football. which we install and know for a fact it was 1000% cheaper even if they had payed me. when i spoke to one of the staff i found out the only thing keeping the pub going was the football. apart from that the place was dead. which highlights the fact that they did not have a clue how to run a pub.

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
moosegoose said:
when i spoke to one of the staff i found out the only thing keeping the pub going was the football. apart from that the place was dead. which highlights the fact that they did not have a clue how to run a pub.

And the fact there are a lot of really sad people in the world.

dave1979

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1m dish,and 1.1m dish,samsung hd receivers(viasat).3sky box's and sky dish's,1 sky italia.
My Location
midlands
i must say i run a pub and i do agree that if the only thing keeping it going is the 3pm's then somrthing is wrong! but on the other hand
we have sky and viasat,our sky apart from sundays doesnt really bring in much trade! and costs us £300 a week!where our viasat costs us
£1300 a year and can make anywhere from £1000 to £2000 in just one day for just one game!so even tho us been with out in wouldnt send us tits up
it would be a very BIG loss!and as for the beer prices.....then that sadly has nothing to do with us!!we have to sell out beer at the price we are told!(we are run by punch!!
punch are in so much s**t instead of putting prices down and getting people in they put them up!!)
the only real way of us makeing money is via pop,food etc etc,football does help alot but as i say if it was just down to sky then we would still be fine but it would
hit us hard at first!!

Jaffboy151

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Foxsat 160gb freesat pvr, technomate 5200 super, 60cm motorised dish
My Location
Stone, Staffordshire, uk
Around where I live most pubs have viasat on inside but it's only really the ones that look run down and are struggling which heavily promote that they show every Stoke game live, and these aren't the sort of pubs you'd go in for a afternoon drink with the Mrs on a night or evening, that's where there problems lie, you can't run a business long term on 1 or 2 90 minutes of trade a week..

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
dave1979 said:
we have sky and viasat,our sky apart from sundays doesnt really bring in much trade! and costs us £300 a week!

Sounds like an easy decision to get rid of it to me - thats £15k a year down the drain.

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Quite - some of us might start going back to Pubs if they get rid of Sports etc.

dave1979

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1m dish,and 1.1m dish,samsung hd receivers(viasat).3sky box's and sky dish's,1 sky italia.
My Location
midlands
Tivù said:
Quite - some of us might start going back to Pubs if they get rid of Sports etc.

thats a fair point but our pub is a sports pub anyway....