Are there any plans for a beginners board?

icebergx

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky Digital
My Location
London, England
Hi all,

I'm interested in finding out about the world of Satalite TV outside of Sky and am not really sure where to start.
My hightest Priority is to get access to Premier League footy on the weekend but would also like to view fils, doumetries,etc.
I've done a bit of reading about CAM and stuff but it didn't really make much sense to me.
I think a beginners section would be really helpful to the un-initiated,
but in the meantime, could anyone list the items needed to make up a basic satellite system, what else is possible outside a 'basic' setup, and how much I could expect to spend. Also, once you've got everythiing setup, do you still have to pay subscription fees or can you get/download software which allows you to view for free. Lastly, are the broadcasts in digital or analogue?

Thanks in advance for your help, I appreciate it.

PCD

DB Magician
Reaction score
All the answers you want are already available in this forum and the biginners' links. The best advice is to take it as a hobby and keep reading, it will all become clear sooner or later. :)

Regards, pcd.

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
Welcome to the forum icebergx

Yes PCD is correct everything is here however it is really a case of filtering through all the basic useful stuff and putting it into non technical language which takes time.

philbeardmore

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Standard S*y setup
My Location
Sunderland
Hi Icebergx, and welcome. I myself am currently trying to figure out whats possible regarding satellite installs etc, and plan to carry out my first install in the near future. The guys are correct though - Just keep reading. There's a lot I dont understand but some of its becoming clearer - Just stick with it.

Phil

P.S. Any questions you have just search through the forum first, then if you get no joy just post - Theyre a friendly and helpful bunch. :-)

GOOD LUCK!

whatsthis

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM7020 Screambox
MAC OSX & windowzz 98SE
Gemini
1664 on tap
My Location
13°E
Yes, I agree this is definately the best place for beginers. I myself knew nothing about satelite systems 8 months ago and look at me now - I still know nothing !!

Seriously though it does look baffling but its a great hobby and when it works.......

Alabasta

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
strong srt 4640
My Location
Nigeria
I have a strong srt4640 updated to 4642. Please does any one know where and how I can get the latest software patch to watch conax encoded signals?

RGDS

PCD

DB Magician
Reaction score
Alabasta said:
I have a strong srt4640 updated to 4642. Please does any one know where and how I can get the latest software patch to watch conax encoded signals?

RGDS

I don't know your receiver, but look in here you may find something :-

h**p://65.75.149.180/index.php?&direction=0&order=&directory=RECEIVER%20%20SOFTWARE/STRONG

Regards, pcd.

Sir Bronking

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
medion
pentium4 3.2ghz
progdvb
skystar2 rev2.3
1mtr dish & jaeger 99G 36v motor, with a superjack DP-6600. dvb-t aswell,in the process of setting up
My Location
cheshire,algeria
Alabasta said:

RGDS

welcome, Alabasta,:)
polite tip:
please do not hyjack thread, it makes site untidy